Warehouse and transporting stacks

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Warehouse and transporting stacks

Post by Engimage »

There have been multiple ideas how to implement Warehouses/Storehouses.
I will agree that the basic idea of a large 3x3 storage is a fine idea by itself and should really make it into the game.
But I want to extend the idea to lead to some bulk transportation improvements.

So the basic idea for a Warehouse is a simple 3x3 chest. I say 3x3 (and not 3x2 or 3x1) as this will let you choose loading/unloading side equally.

Next I will throw in several ideas to extend its functionality.

1. Supply it with input and output belts.

Code: Select all

----------
|        |
>        >
|        |
----------
In this case you can rotate the building to choose what side has input and output belts. You can opt to have 3 different grades of a warehouse to match belt speeds or just opt to have universal one which will output with a maximum speed effectively adopting to the belt.
In the case of implementing this feature it makes sense to add power consumption to the building
However this feature can be effectively replaced by implementing a "loader" device. But the last has many uses and can be game changer so imo implementing built-in loader in a Warehouse is a nice option not to mess with game balance.

2. Stacking/unstacking goods.

This is something like irl palletizing goods. You turn a stack of goods into a single unit which alone takes a whole slot in your storage. This does not effect the total storage amount as it still occupies the same amount of space inside a storage but now this new unit can be transported as a single unit.

Here stack inserters come in. Adopted to be able to move pallets they will be able to load/unload them both to other storages and/or wagons and to belts. So the whole stack of goods will take a single spot on a belt. Sure thing that only stack inserters will later be able to take them off the belt. And this really makes stack inserters a unique entity not trying to fit them where they don't.

In this case we have solved bulk transport and train loading/unloading speeds getting bulk production to another level.

You can set a mode for a warehouse to palletizing/unpalletizing goods and it will act like an assebbler consuming both power and time to finish a process. It will automaticly start production if it has a full stack of a good in storage and will convert it to a pallet.

In the case of implementing load/unload belts you may opt to let the Warehouse to both load common wares/unloading pallets through belts depending on mode of operation - for palletizing input is a common ware and output is pallets and vice versa for depalletizing.

Stack inserters may need their speed reduced to like a common yellow inserter has right now to actually make the process take time.

And I am not sure if it makes sense letting assemblers get a pallet as an input or it should require unpacking in a warehouse first. I think the most interesting is to require unpacking as it will not effect game ballance in this case.

All this idea requires introducing the pallets (maybe for a limited number of goods like ores/plates/circuits/steel/plastic etc. This can be done by just adding a new field to the existing item data and will have some icon overlay on the item to indicate the status. This adds unique functionality that will add value and additional options to the game.

3. Logistic network

A new type of a heavy lifter logistic bot can be introduced which will be able to transport pallets. In this case you will need to add a checkbox to logistic chests to dedicate them to pallet handling. It does not make sense to have mixed operations for chests as loading/unloading will require different types of inserters anyways.

Also you may add a logistic function to the Warehouse itself as an option.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Warehouse and transporting stacks

Post by ssilk »

Also here: That is already possible with a mod. The devs have introduced the "Loader" to do this, which was recalled by the community (it's basic function is still in 0.13). You can read the FFF and forum discussions in News and General about it.

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=23008 Warehouse / Depot / Storage / Stock (and related)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

ssilk wrote:Also here: That is already possible with a mod. The devs have introduced the "Loader" to do this, which was recalled by the community (it's basic function is still in 0.13). You can read the FFF and forum discussions in News and General about it.

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=23008 Warehouse / Depot / Storage / Stock (and related)
I have read much on the topic and as I said in the beginning - this particular idea basis is not new so I did not go in-depth on the basis.
However the additions might be interesting.

Also it is nice to see mods do cover many of these. However I post here to make the vanilla better as personally I will never use mods.

Can you please add the link to Boxing section as well as my 2nd suggestion clearly belongs to that.
Thanks in advance.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

PacifyerGrey wrote:Can you please add the link to Boxing section as well as my 2nd suggestion clearly belongs to that.
Thanks in advance.
Done.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”