no polution option for megabases/no biters world

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

djnono
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

no polution option for megabases/no biters world

Post by djnono »

Okay,

After playing a few hundreds hours on several map and experimenting, I decided to go for the megabase on a no enemies world.
It started well, but after a few dozens hours of setting massive production lanes, my fps started to go down, fast forward, and the game became nearly unplaybale because of a low twenties fps.

I scoured the forums and reddit to see what performance optimizations could be done, and i found a post by Rseding91 who mentionned that pollutions affected chunks.

my debug screen indicated about 12k chunks active, which was funny because of a quick calculation indicated that i should not have more than a thousand (compact base at this point, and for setting up the megabase, i decided to spawn a couple of massive coper/iron fields on base, to be later replaced by expansions).

so i decided to reset the pollution to test

Code: Select all

/c local surface = game.local_player.surface; for coord in surface.get_chunks() do surface.pollute({coord.x * 32, coord.y * 32}, -10000000) end
and low and behold, my fps/ups counters instantanly went from low twenties to mid fifties, with 955 active chunks.

after a few more hours of play, my fps started to tank again, and a reset of pollution cleared the problem right away.

I'm assuming the problem comes from iterating the chunks to calculate the pollution spread which affects biter behavior, but on a no-biter world, it is useless (apart maybe for aesthetics effects on trees).

could we have an option to disable pollution altogether to lighten the load on intensive maps ? or maybe just do it on no-biter worlds (so you don't have determinstic issues on MP) ?
-- Amahashadow

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: no polution option for megabases/no biters world

Post by Rseding91 »

The problem comes from the pollution activating the biters not the active chunks :)

Also there's already a option to disable pollution entirely: /c game.map_settings.pollution.enabled = false
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

djnono
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by djnono »

Hmmmm, missed the option :oops:

Though i don't get why i'm Taking an ups/fps hit since I don't have biters.

And I guess this can be moved to the implemented section. You guys are so efficient you implement our suggestions before we even make them
:D
-- Amahashadow

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

djnono wrote:Though i don't get why i'm Taking an ups/fps hit since I don't have biters.
Where do you think the biters come from, when you didn't have explored the map fully? They come from the black parts. You don't see them on map, but they are already there.

So: The borders of pollution, plus 3 more chunks is the real border of your map. There can be a lot of biters there.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

djnono
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by djnono »

it's a no-biter world (ie biter base set to none)
you can explore all you want, you'll never see one :D
-- Amahashadow

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”