Endgame zerg rush [0.0.1]

Topics and discussion about specific mods
lxl
Inserter
Inserter

Endgame zerg rush [0.0.1]

Post by lxl »

When you build a rocket defense all enemies are forced to attack you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVO6A2anEqI

Function of the mod:
If a rocket silo is build, this mod triggers an attack mode, where a huge numbers of biters are going to attack you.
It also increases evolution to almost maximum.
If the rocket silo is destroyed or removed evolution goes back to normal and the biter attack stops.
[for simplicity: only one rocket silo can exist at any given time]

The range of attracted biters is tweaked to "not completely kill the fps on my laptop".

Todo/ possible improvements:
-define a better name
-find out how to use formations of biters in an efficient wave to make attacks more like "attack waves".
-find out why the area command crashes factorio. (if the area command would be used, then the attack would not immediatly stop when the silo is dead, instead all biters "currently on their way" will keep going, and only new spawned biters will be "idle".
Attachments
look_attackx.jpg
look_attackx.jpg (309.84 KiB) Viewed 5328 times
testx_0.0.1.zip
(2.12 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Last edited by lxl on Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

painting4
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Endgame rush mod

Post by painting4 »

is the video link right?

lxl
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Endgame rush mod

Post by lxl »

The video is goal, not status :mrgreen:

Currently i have problems using the attack-area command. It does crash randomly. But it doesn't crash when the script runs, it crashes much later.
The normal "one-target" attack command is bad because once the rocket launcher is mined, or destroyed i have a lot of lost biters standing arround.

their_army=event.created_entity.surface.find_enemy_units(event.created_entity.position, unit_search_distance_v)
for k,unit_k in pairs(their_army) do
unit_k.set_command( {type=defines.command.attack_area , destination =event.created_entity.position, radius=attack_radius, distraction=defines.distraction.by_enemy})
end
current.txt
--> not reported since it is a mod and i have no idea what i'm doing in lua.

lxl
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Endgame zerg rush [0.0.1]

Post by lxl »

I wonder if i should discuss above bug in the bug forum or not.. Altough it is caused by my mod, it does happen ("when a lot of units have an area command") and this situation isn't directly related to the mod. Can someone with a bit experience in modding make a recommendation if yes/no?

lxl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lxl »

The version is "stable/untested"
Has anybody tested/installed this?
Except that the update/s might drop due to the high number of biters moving there are no known problems to me(had it running for 3hrs). The "crash" due to area command is gone as i am avoiding it right now.

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

lxl wrote:I wonder if i should discuss above bug in the bug forum or not.. Altough it is caused by my mod, it does happen ("when a lot of units have an area command") and this situation isn't directly related to the mod. Can someone with a bit experience in modding make a recommendation if yes/no?
My robot army mod involves lots of units (unitgroups) with area_attack commands but it's actually the fact the units are in unitgroups that causes the lag from the pathfinder. If the units are in singular unitgroups, or they are issued commands on a per-entity-basis, then the lag is almost non-existent.

When factorio 0.13 is released, there is a new and much better pathfinder which will make this lag hopefully gone for both our mods!

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

lxl wrote:When you build a rocket defense all enemies are forced to attack you.

If a rocket silo is build, this mod triggers an attack mode, where a huge numbers of biters are going to attack you.
It also increases evolution to almost maximum.
If the rocket silo is destroyed or removed evolution goes back to normal and the biter attack stops.
[for simplicity: only one rocket silo can exist at any given time]

The range of attracted biters is tweaked to "not completely kill the fps on my laptop".
Rocket defence doesn't exist anymore.

What happens if I have multiple silos?

Will the attack mode continue forever as long as I have a silo?

lxl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lxl »

I am a traditonalist.. so i keep using the word rocket defense for silo;-).

The attacks keep going as long as there is a silo and the game isn't over.
I also disabled building a second silo if one already exists.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

lxl wrote:The attacks keep going as long as there is a silo and the game isn't over.
I also disabled building a second silo if one already exists.
What counts as "game over"? Does that mean that the attacks stop when you send up your a rocket or your first rocket?
Qon wrote:What happens if I have multiple silos [when I install the mod]?
What happens if I install the mod in an ongoing game with multiple silos, after I have lauched a lot of rockets already?

lxl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lxl »

Qon wrote: What counts as "game over"? Does that mean that the attacks stop when you send up your a rocket or your first rocket?
I implemented nothing/ it goes on forever until you delete the mod or the save game.
Qon wrote:What happens if I install the mod in an ongoing game with multiple silos, after I have lauched a lot of rockets already?
"Nothing" until you build one more silo which is attacked and the attack stops if you unbuild any silo. Altough I haven't tested this "ill-defined" scenario the worst thing that i expect to happen is evolution going to 0.

My plan is first fixing it for .13 and then I'll look into detail. e.g. artificial spawn.

Return to “Mods”