Two ingredients for one inserter

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
axelsword
Inserter
Inserter

Two ingredients for one inserter

Post by axelsword »

Hi!

I would like to make a buffer of two ingredients with one chest and one inserter.

Question: is it possible?
Goal: how to do it and keep them at a limit of 100

Let's suppose I have iron and copper plates on same belt in separate lanes (see screenshot). As it is currently, once there's no more supply of copper plates, the storage chest fills up with iron plates.
screenshot
Link to image "i.imgur.com/fsaEAMi.png"

I can't make heads or tails from the combinators post
forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14556

Thanks for help!

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Two ingredients for one inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Impossible, you need 2 inserters. Move your chest one tile to the right to make for a second inserter.

twepy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by twepy »

What you want to achieve is unfortunately not possible in Factorio, the current game doesnt allow the smart inserter item filter to be changed with the use of circuit network. Its either use a separate inserter for each item or use logistic bots and a requester chest.

axelsword
Inserter
Inserter

Post by axelsword »

Don't give up!

Think of this problem in reverse.

How about making the inserter (that takes stuff out) work only when there's more than 1 iron plate AND 1 copper plate (or the stack size bonus from research, thanks DaveMcW). This would function the same way as reserving space in the toolbar.

I simply don't know how to set up the proper signals or what each type of circuit signal does.

AND can be made by checking input of larger than 0 according to http://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?titl ... r_Tutorial

Binary AND
Arithmetic Combinator set to "A * B"

Update
it seems to work. Two decider combinators taking in storage container as input. Set iron plates more than 1 double the inserter stack size to output signal A of value 1 instead of the default counter. Set the other decider to check for copper plates > 1 10 and output signal B valued 1, then the "binary AND" as from wiki, that is, feed deciders as inputs into arithmetic combinator, and set it to output signal C with inputs as A multiplied by B. Finally link arithmetic combinator output to smart inserter that takes stuff out of the box and have it check for C = 1.
Limit the box with the red cross to limit buffer size.
Voila. Thanks!

Update 2
Amount of the stack size depends on the amount of inserters working on the chest.

The approach described by DaveMcW requires one less combinator than I describe.
Last edited by axelsword on Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:01 am, edited 6 times in total.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Ok, so you put the fast inserter next to the belt and the smart inserter next to the chemical plant. I assume you will eventually have a 5-item inserter stack size, so you need to make sure there are 6 items in the chest.

Combinator 1: Iron plate > 5 => 1 green signal
Combinator 2: Copper plate > 5 => 1 green signal
Inserter: green signal = 2

Griffon0129
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Griffon0129 »

I know you can set item filters for train cars so 1 inserter will only fill certain slots with certain items, unfortunately this is very counter productive to what you want, like everyone else said just use 2 inserters. (although I would just use a fast inserter putting the items directly into the chem plant, but I'm assuming you want to take advantage of the stack size bonus?)
picture of what I do

Return to “Gameplay Help”