Personal roboport for logistic robots?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Roboovce
Inserter
Inserter

Personal roboport for logistic robots?

Post by Roboovce »

New personal roboport for only logistic robot with maximum priority that would be your requsting goods. Actually they couldnt managed requesting good to other chest etc....

and then We can maybe add even roboport which will have space for both of types - logistic and construction :?: :?:

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Personal roboport for logistic robots?

Post by ssilk »

Roboovce wrote:and then We can maybe add even roboport which will have space for both of types - logistic and construction :?: :?:
Why do you think, that roboports can hold only one type of robot?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

ssilk wrote:Why do you think, that roboports can hold only one type of robot?
Because he's talking about personal roboport, and iirc personnal roboport gives you a mobile construction area, but doesn't provide a portable logistic area.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ah. Sorry I was tired yesterday evening... :)
I think such a logistic enhancement would be useful, cause it may react much faster. But eventually it opens up some new questions. :)

Tepalus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tepalus »

And what's about "personal" bots as a third bot only?
So no 'new' roboport but the personal bots would stay at a seperated place in your inventory (like under the trash) and you can stack em up? They would be the robots who just work for you! So they go and take stuff from the network and give it back there.

It would be also great, if there is a chest, which just request stuff from the player. So if you put stuff in the trash, it will be taken to this specific chest. Also a Chest from where the bots take stuff just to give them to the player would be nice!

...or is there any mod which would do this? :oops:
Factorio in a Nutshell
try and error, try and error, try and success
once again it is friday, once again i'm waiting for the news
hour for hour for hour it goes, where it stops nobody knows

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Because there is no generated game-play-value, if you need to produce a third type of robot, that can be used only by the character?

Tepalus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tepalus »

ssilk wrote:Because there is no generated game-play-value, if you need to produce a third type of robot, that can be used only by the character?
Can you explain more specific what you want to tell? I don't get what you want :roll: (maybe it's because my native language is not english)

But at least, the new types of chests would be nice...
Factorio in a Nutshell

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

In game-software development you have to think about the complexity of the game vs. game-value.
Where the game-value is just, how much/how deep is is the player IN the game.

See also viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14702

So if you introduce a new item or entity(here a new type of robot), it adds complexity to the game (you have to learn how to produce that new item, you need to take care of it, you have to have storage space in your factory and in the inventory etc.). But it doesn't add any new game-value, cause all this bot does is the same as the other two.

Tepalus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tepalus »

Ah, now all is clear for me.

you have some good points and i have to agree, they wouldn't change much...

but probably the new chesttypes would?
Factorio in a Nutshell

Roboovce
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Roboovce »

And what you think about personal roboport for logistic robots anyway?
Those robots would carry only your requested goods. They would help you same efficient as your personal construction robots and whenever you come closer to your storage zone, they would bring your requsted goods and then come back

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

i don't really see how this suggestion makes sense - the personal construction bots are useful because you can construct/deconstruct outside of normal construction area.
What would your personal logistic bots do? If you are outside of logistic network - they have nowhere to get resources from or put items to. If you are in logistic network range - the logistic bots there would already prioritize bringing items to the player. Basically, this is the same as having more logistic bots in the network.
I can't really see any real value in this... Or am I missing something?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. I thought this completely through and I must admit now, that the use-case is really not so useful as first thought.

With the roboport you are working either inside or outside of a logistic area. Now interesting for my thoughts is is the moment, when you come from outside to inside.

The problem is here, that with a normal setup you store the needed items in the center of a logistic area. That is just natural usage, it's not so useful to build the storages at an edge of a logistic area.

But now you come from outside of the logistic area. You are standing at the edge of the area.

And now the personal logistic roboport has a limited area. It doesn't make sense, that the logistic roboports do the whole travel to the center, because the network logistic bots (most of them) are already in the center and need to make only one way (from the center to the character).

So: In most cases this would increase the time you need to wait for items. Only in cases where you are already inside the logistic network it might work faster, as sillyfly already stated.

I would not say totally useless as sillyfly, but not so useful as thought at first glance.

Roboovce
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Roboovce »

Yea you are probably right, but main idea was that these robots would have only work for your requesting system ... Maybe you could make these personal logistic robots very more expensive. They could have longer distance endurance and they wouldnt have to be so often battery charged. My point is that they could have bring you goods even from far distance when u r managing your new town for iron maybe. You couldnt you them to your normal logistic system and maybe if you balance it right,... i dont know guys :) This is my final message and then you can locked this up if you dont like it

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

An issue for me with this idea is that you'd need a rather large number of personal logistic bots to accomplish anything in a reasonable time. Also let's say you're 5 miles from your base relatively speaking, logistic bots are of no use now, as you don't want them trying to supply the player from such a distance, and when you get near home base the bots all come running to resupply anyway.

Or is the idea here, that you DO want a resupply option away from base? Personally not sure if I like that idea, for me it's just another thing you have to deal with in Factorio, part of the resource management aspect perhaps, and I guess why engineer / outpost trains became a thing (a train filled shinies dedicated to building outposts / mining posts etc).
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yeah... when you think about it... you'd need to be within the supply area for your bots to do their logistic things, (Player personal request slots and trash slots) so you'd need to walk next to a storage or provider chest for the bots to work, maybe even a requester chest could be a destination for items in your trash slots.

To do anything other than proximity to the player (like it is with construction) doesn't fit in, I mean, if you take it any distance... that's insane, your bots would likely suicide over enemy bases before doing anything useful, or run out of power long before they reach the chest, or you. It's annoying enough when bots pop out of you when you're on a train! Alternatively, if you're suggesting they get to work when you enter the area of another logistics network (Effectively merging yours with the network) well, the local robots would see to you anyway.

So the only way to go would be if you moved so that the chest you want to interact with is within your personal logistics range.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Maybe you should read this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13200 Discussing the (missing?) 4th type of transport!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”