Too many seeds generated with only water in the starting are

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Lucky_Evie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Too many seeds generated with only water in the starting are

Post by Lucky_Evie »

Hello all!

I've been trying to generate a good seed to play with a friend and I'm getting a whole lot of maps that only have water in the starting area. Before you start thinking "change the option for that!", no I have not set Water to "Starting Area Only" - it's set to Big.

I've tried variations of Terrain Segmentation and Water size, and I'd estimate about 80% of the maps I generate have only water around spawn - rarely do I get something else, which is mostly a variation of islands surrounded by sea, or half the map being sea (aka, the whole right part is water, starting area always is always round-ish with patches of water).

I'm on the latest version (0.12.26, I think, as of this post).

What am I doing wrong?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Too many seeds generated with only water in the starting are

Post by Koub »

Hi, the latest is 0.12.29 as we're talking, but map generation hasn't changed since your version so there should be no difference. I have got a "water only in starting area" with a map I have recently started too. I admit that whrn I got it, I just thought I made a mistake when choosing my options before your post.
ES
[Edit] There is actual water in my map ... but probably because I asked for low terrain segmentation, and started in a desert biome, its faaaaaaar far away. Like very far :)

[Edit 2] I restarted a new game with the same map seed, and asked for a rechart of 1024x1024 around me, and seeing no water, asked a rechart of a 16384x16384 area around the starting point, it gave me this (the map zoomed out at max level) :
Water somewhere
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

The map generator always gives you extra water in the starting area, even on desert maps. When you ask for "big" water, you get a LOT of water in the starting area.

Lucky_Evie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Lucky_Evie »

So apparently, this is the most perfect seed I have ever seen in my life.
ExchangeString

taiiat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by taiiat »

Terrain Segmentation seems to make a huge impact. if you want more bodies of Water around, i'd suggest increasing Terrain Segmentation a bit.

Return to “Gameplay Help”