Tags: Car, Driving, Drive assist
Download-Url:
PavementDriveAssist_0.0.5.zip
(3.39 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
License
Long description
Pictures
Version history
Last edited by sillyfly on Mon May 16, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.

bruteman
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Pavement Drive Assist

Post by bruteman »

Interesting I have been looking for something like this but more along the lines of the Old 10.4 Bumpers mod : viewtopic.php?f=87&t=5127

as i currently line my railways with concrete on ether side (or floor tiles from Yuoki or roadworks etc.) and be able to place road bumpers down as a "road barrier system beside the rails. and if you could make this Multiplayer compatable it would be the cats ass!.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Thanks for the feedback!

Well, I have made it for single player only because that's simpler (no need to fiddle around with which player I'm looking at, etc). Also, testing multiplayer is much harder, and currently neigh impossible for me (my ISP has NAT at the ISP level, so I can't define port-forwarding).

Still, I think I have an idea of how to port it to multiplayer, so I may just do it and see if people are willing to try untested MP mod and report back if it misbehaves :D

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

A very interesting mod, it reminds me of how the cars used to smoothly snap your car to the road grid in GTA2, if you were within a certain angle.

I noticed sometimes on long straight sections of road the car oscillates slightly. Adding the following at the end stops that and doesn't appear to cause any problems with following irregular roads:

Code: Select all

car.orientation = math.floor(car.orientation * 64 + 0.5)/64
It snaps the car to the nearest 1/64th orientation. I also set the changeangle to 1/64 which isn't strictly necessary but nicely aligns with the sprite sheet's orientations.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Thanks for the suggestion, I have implemented both changes.

Also, 0.0.2 should work in multiplayer. As stated, I can't really test it (other than hosting a game and playing on my own).
If anyone tries this mod in multiplayer I would appreciate it if you could come back and report if it worked or not :)

bruteman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by bruteman »

sillyfly wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, I have implemented both changes.

Also, 0.0.2 should work in multiplayer. As stated, I can't really test it (other than hosting a game and playing on my own).
If anyone tries this mod in multiplayer I would appreciate it if you could come back and report if it worked or not :)

All right well I stream regularly and will test this live today for you if you want to see it in Testing or even join and be a tester you can find me at twitch.tv/thebruteman

bruteman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by bruteman »

Tesing it now on livestream having a hard time figuring out how "wide" i need corners to keep it turning at any kind of speed.

Murlocking
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Murlocking »

I have an idea for this mod, which would be really useful in some cases.

A toggle button to enable "Cruise Control", this way the mod is not always active and it's a bit easier to control.

I would also love if my car would just drive for me (hold the W key) while this button is active :D

I think it would be great, what do you think?

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

I'm looking into it :)

I seem to have a mostly-working logic for it, but I'm trying to see if it won't lag the game, as it needs to process at least every other tick to be usable (current version processes every 6 ticks).

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

I have uploaded a new version (0.0.3). Path-correction is much more aggressive (30 times per second as opposed to 10 times in previous versions). It should handle most turns quite well, see updated video demonstration.

On my testing setup it seems not to cause any lags, but if it does please let me know (preferably with attached save file too!)

Murlocking
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Murlocking »

sillyfly wrote:I have uploaded a new version (0.0.3). Path-correction is much more aggressive (30 times per second as opposed to 10 times in previous versions). It should handle most turns quite well, see updated video demonstration.

On my testing setup it seems not to cause any lags, but if it does please let me know (preferably with attached save file too!)
No lag for me and my friend in Multiplayer, I was able to make a 1x1 road and 2x2 in some corners and the car will follow it with no problem.
It get a little shaky sometime but that's the realignment.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Thanks for the feedback!
Nice to know it's working well in a real MP game.

Murlocking
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Murlocking »

sillyfly wrote:Thanks for the feedback!
Nice to know it's working well in a real MP game.
No prob!

I have a question and a request at the same time.

First the request.
I was wondering if it would be possible at some point to choose between Concrete or Stone brick roads for the auto-pathing in, let's say, a config.lua file.
I'm requesting this because some part of my best are grass, some near building are Stone bricks and my road are made of Concrete, it's a bit hard to navigate inside my factory with the vehicle because it sometime tend to be attracted toward the buildings.
Would love this feature :)

And now the question!
I've been working on updating and fixing/tweaking the Bulldozer mod and noticed that it would also auto-path on roads.
I would prefer if it didn't and I was wondering if you knew how I could modify that.

In the entity.lua of Bulldozer :
type = "car",
name = "bulldozer"

Is it because it has the type "car" associated to it?
Or do you call for the item name in the .lua?
I see "car" and "tank" in there.

I'm gonna try to add "bulldozer" = false and see if I can blacklist it.

If you know some magic tricks please share with me 8-)

Murlocking
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Murlocking »

Murlocking wrote:
In the entity.lua of Bulldozer :
type = "car",
name = "bulldozer"

Is it because it has the type "car" associated to it?
Or do you call for the item name in the .lua?
I see "car" and "tank" in there.

I'm gonna try to add "bulldozer" = false and see if I can blacklist it.

If you know some magic tricks please share with me 8-)
That didn't work :(
Not sure what to do now.. there's not a lot of info on modding Factorio.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

It's because I'm testing against type, when I should be probably testing against name. I will fix this and upload a new version later today, but in the meanwhile you can try to change, in line 24,

vehicles[player.vehicle.type]
to -

vehicles[player.vehicle.name]
As for changing pavement type - you can remove the type from `scores` in line 16, or set it's value to 0. You can even set the value to a negative number, which should have the effect of making the vehicle try to avoid these tile types.

I'm thinking of adding support to more tile types for mods, and if I do perhaps it would be a good opportunity to move the configuration to a separate file with proper documentation.

Murlocking
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Murlocking »

sillyfly wrote:It's because I'm testing against type, when I should be probably testing against name. I will fix this and upload a new version later today, but in the meanwhile you can try to change, in line 24,

vehicles[player.vehicle.type]
to -

vehicles[player.vehicle.name]
As for changing pavement type - you can remove the type from `scores` in line 16, or set it's value to 0. You can even set the value to a negative number, which should have the effect of making the vehicle try to avoid these tile types.

I'm thinking of adding support to more tile types for mods, and if I do perhaps it would be a good opportunity to move the configuration to a separate file with proper documentation.
Thanks man, you're always really fast on the replies :)
I will try these changes tomorrow and let you know how It went !

Murlocking
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Murlocking »

Oh by the way, if you want to integrate some mod support for 5dim's mods, here's the item name for the Colored Concrete ;

5d-concrete-a
5d-concrete-b
5d-concrete-b2
5d-concrete-m
5d-concrete-r
5d-concrete-v

It's not necessary to have them in there but sure wouldn't hurt :P

I'm not sure about Bob's Mods and Dytech but they probably add they own roads aswell.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Uploaded version 0.0.4 -
Fixed that vehicles are tested with name, not type.
Moved configuration to config.lua, for easier tweaking and messing with values.
Added 5dim tiles (But not tested, so if it doesn't work - let me know).

I have tried looking at Yuoki and Bob's mods, but couldn't find where they add new tile types (if they actually have any). If anyone can point me out to where to look for them I'll add them to the default configuration.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

So this mod works on paled linear roads? But not really if you pave the entirety of your factory floor? Or what?

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Peter34 wrote:So this mod works on paled linear roads? But not really if you pave the entirety of your factory floor? Or what?
My idea was to make it easier to drive on "roads", so while you are driving straight ahead the mod tries to keep your vehicle on certain tiles (concrete and bricks for vanilla). This is done by comparing how many such tiles are straight ahead, and a bit to the left and right, and changing the orientation to the direction with the best score (most paved tiles).
This means if you are in a large paved area it will simply do nothing, as all directions are equally paved.

If you have a suggestion to a logic that will work in all-paved factories I'll be happy to try and implement it.

Return to “Mods”