[MOD 0.12.x] Long Reach

Topics and discussion about specific mods
obstinate
Inserter
Inserter

[MOD 0.12.x] Long Reach

Post by obstinate »

THIS PAGE WILL NOT BE UPDATED AGAIN. GO TO https://mods.factorio.com/mods/jamesaguilar/long-reach.

Type: Mod
Name: Long Reach
Description: Makes it so you can reach anything the viewport shows.
License: MIT License
Version: 0.0.4
Release: 2015-12-04
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.12.20
Category: Convenience
Tags: utility, interface
Download-Url: https://github.com/jaguilar/long-reach/ ... _0.0.4.zip
License
Long description
Pictures
Version history
Last edited by obstinate on Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

obstinate
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Long Reach

Post by obstinate »

We play-tested this mod at a LAN yesterday. People seemed to really like the removal of the range restriction. It doesn't seem to remove any of the fun challenges of the game, just some of the slog.

jakeat133
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jakeat133 »

I have recently downloaded this mod I really like the concept of it but whenever I try to download it, this message shows up(the message is below). And whenever I remove the mod from the mod folder it runs perfectly. I would like to know if I downloaded it wrong (I kept in the zip.file and dragged it into the factorio mods folder). I have a macbook pro laptop. (I recently purchased factorio so i'm not sure how things work)
Attachments
This is the error.
This is the error.
Screen Shot 2015-12-20 at 9.19.44 AM.png (37.4 KiB) Viewed 58224 times

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

jakeat133 wrote:I have recently downloaded this mod I really like the concept of it but whenever I try to download it, this message shows up(the message is below). And whenever I remove the mod from the mod folder it runs perfectly. I would like to know if I downloaded it wrong (I kept in the zip.file and dragged it into the factorio mods folder). I have a macbook pro laptop. (I recently purchased factorio so i'm not sure how things work)
It's not your fault. It's cause the zip file is structured like this:
.\long-reach-0.0.3\long-reach_0.0.2\info.json

And Factorio is looking for info.json like this:
.\long-reach-0.0.3\info.json

Actually, since the version numbers need to match, Factorio really expects this:
.\long-reach_0.0.2\info.json
(Note the underscore between name and version; a hyphen won't work.)

If you recompress the 'long-reach_0.0.2' folder into a zip with the same name then it won't have to be extracted.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

obstinate
Inserter
Inserter

Post by obstinate »

Sorry folks. Previously I did not understand how to release Factorio mods. I have always unpacked my zip files so I did not know you could download them this way. I'll do another release sometime this week to make it work.

PK kid
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by PK kid »

MasterBilder

I understand that to you this coding is simplistic.

Unfortunately, for me, you have me completely confused.

I believe, (please correct me if I am wrong). The unzipped folder information could be corrected?

I have tried every variation based on the information you gave (or not) and apparently that is not the case.

Apparently, I will simply have to wait until the author makes the correction.

For me, when the zip file has been extracted. Factorio does not even see the mod.
If left in the zip format. I receive the same error message.
And I don't seem to have the option to re-zip.

I do appreciate your attempt at helping.

I :)

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

interesting mod

nearly eliminates the need for personal roboports unless you're using a blueprint

don't really need character logistic slots either

basically makes you a single task roboport

btw Arumba and Steejo are using this in their Some Assembly Required series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... T8C278lWyP
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

obstinate
Inserter
Inserter

Post by obstinate »

I have made a new release that works without unpacking. Please try it and let me know if you still have problems.

I personally do not find that the need for logistic character slots is eliminated. I don't like having to zoom out and fetch things myself. Logistic character slots are already a simple convenience feature, and they lose little of their utility (to me) after this. I also have never used the personal roboport for placing individual ghosts. I only use it for blueprints. Needless to say, it's still quite useful for that.

Literally the only thing I've replaced in my own play with this mod is running to fetch things in the early game, and the minor annoyance of trying to place something slightly out of range.

To the person who posted the YouTube link, thank you!

JohnDoe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JohnDoe »

Nice mod! It'd be nice if mining distances were also increased.

obstinate
Inserter
Inserter

Post by obstinate »

I personally felt that increasing mining distances was of limited value, on two fronts.
  • It makes the early game into an immobile affair.
  • It also only really affects the very early game.
Personally, I'm basically done with manual mining by about ten or twenty minutes into my typical marathon playthrough, even sooner otherwise. Meanwhile, access distance affects the entire game.

It would be easy enough for someone else to do this. If you look at the source code for the mod, it's quite trivial. I just was not interested in doing it personally. <3

PK kid
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by PK kid »

:D

I just got around to checking for an update.

Downloaded and working just fine.

Thanks for the mod.

shivalwolf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by shivalwolf »

I don't think this mod is working anymore in 0.12.23
Is there a way i can confirm if its the mod or the update or maybe another clashing mod?

PK kid
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by PK kid »

I am on 0.12.20

Works

self-same-spot
Inserter
Inserter

Post by self-same-spot »

Last edited by self-same-spot on Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PK kid
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by PK kid »

yes
:D

obstinate
Inserter
Inserter

Post by obstinate »

Considering how simple this mod is, I'd be surprised if it broke outside a major release. That said, please open a github issue if you have a problem. I get those in my email. Thanks. :)

Quax
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Quax »

Hi, new her, so welcome communtiy first :-)

For my problem - I installed this mod yesterday, as I'm really tired of navigating my litte astronaut around to build things. However either I'm doing someting wrong, expectiong something wrong or this mod isn't working. I expected that when using this mod, I could build anywhere on the map regardless of where the little astronaut is located at the moment. However nothing changes when installing the mod.

What I did was the following:
First I took the folder contained in the zip-file and put it into the "mods" Directory --> Factorio startet with an error "cannot display ..." and I didnt see anything but a white window
Second, I took just the files and out them into the "mods" Folder --> Factorio startet properly, but there wasn't a mod to activate, neither did gameplay change - I still just can build things within the reach of my astronaut.

Any help for a newbie appreciated :-)

Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yinan »

Did you put the unpacked folder into the mods folder or did you put whatever was inside that unpacked folder into the mods folder?
Because you still need that folder for it to work.

Quax
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Quax »

Hi Yinan, I put only those two files into the "mods" Folder, 'cause when I copied the whole (unzipped) Folder into, it gave that strange error message on loading factorio. I will try again this evening and will get back with some screenies :-)

Quax
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Quax »

Thanks, works out fine now. I put the whole (unzopped) folder into the "mods" directory and it worked. The "cannot create display" error was just an coincidence .. it happens when
I Alt-Tab out of Factorio during the starting sequence.
Thanks,

PEter

Return to “Mods”