Train derailment

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Pohybel
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Train derailment

Post by Pohybel »

Hi do you not think it's strange when you ride you train with 400kmh and when track is end in one second train stop and nothings hapen :shock: ? Train should by out of track and have problem with stop, and if water by in you way train should accessed in water, it would by nice. Try to imagine that you drive train very fast but you forget end truck, you don't have time to stop train and you get out of truck, you can't stering and use brake you speed drops but train destroy everything in it way to moment when you train is stop, or when by destroyed in spectacular boom sory for my language.
Last edited by Pohybel on Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Train derailment

Post by ssilk »

I try to re-formulate your suggestion:
You suggest, that trains should take much more damage, when you ram them with full speed into the end of a rail?

This is difficult. We had a time, when the train was damaged or destroyed exactly like so. My opinion: As it is now it is not so realistic, but more useful for the game-play, and it is more fun. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Pohybel
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pohybel »

No i mean when truck is end train shouldn't stop but,should fall out of truck and destroy everything on his way.
Last edited by Pohybel on Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Pohybel wrote:no i mean when truck is end train should not stop but fall out of truck and rim everything in way
like dwarf fortress' minecarts derail and make !!fun!! ?

Pohybel
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pohybel »

yes it's good example :D

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ok. Nice idea. But here also: Gameplay-wise it's eventually not useful, cause you need to be much more careful, when driving with train.

Hm. Can you please describe, what happens, when the train leaves the end of the rails. Can you bring it back somehow? Much more details.

Pohybel
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pohybel »

you don't have time to stop train and you get out of truck, you can't stering and use brake you speed drops but train destroy everything in it way to moment when you train is stop, or when by destroyed in spectacular boom

As in real life,if the road will be too many objects train will be destroyed because of resulting damage to other vehicles in the game.
Remember the problem of today's games is that they are too easy which translates into life of the game,Imagine a battlefield come to the point where one shot kill everyone, who would then played more?

Pohybel
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pohybel »

Can you bring it back somehow

if not destroyed this contribution to backpack and puts it on track ,simple.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Please stop punishing the player for bad actions, instead, focus on rewarding the player that does good actions.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Can you please describe, what happens, when the train leaves the end of the rails. Can you bring it back somehow? Much more details.
1) Excess speed causes collision damage directly to the end rail. Consider this the safety block.
2) When the safety block is destroyed, the train's reserve momentum just keeps going.
3) The train decelerates at an improved rate, though player input and braking no longer applies.
4) Whatever the train hits, it hits.

That's the simplest model I think. Doing fancy stuff like twisting the train cars sideways or tipping them over etc. would add to the complexity of the crash.

Pohybel
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pohybel »

Please stop punishing the player for bad actions, instead, focus on rewarding the player that does good actions.
Give him the social and soup :D
Understand man, this is an alien planet and not kindergarten.
Here you die for fault.

Pohybel
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pohybel »

Can you please describe, what happens, when the train leaves the end of the rails. Can you bring it back somehow? Much more details.

1) Excess speed causes collision damage directly to the end rail. Consider this the safety block.
2) When the safety block is destroyed, the train's reserve momentum just keeps going.
3) The train decelerates at an improved rate, though player input and braking no longer applies.

That's the simplest model I think. Doing fancy stuff like twisting the train cars sideways or tipping them over etc. would add to the complexity of the crash.

Exactly

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

bobucles wrote:

I think that this would be cool. I would add a sort of "random" disaster that you would have to clean up from, but by being careful the player can avoid a crash. In other words, if you are not careful with setting up rail networks, you might get a train careening of the rails and into your factory.
Plus it would add another way to kill biters and another way for trains to kill the player :P.
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

Pohybel
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pohybel »

I think that this would be cool. I would add a sort of "random" disaster that you would have to clean up from, but by being careful the player can avoid a crash. In other words, if you are not careful with setting up rail networks, you might get a train careening of the rails and into your factory.
Plus it would add another way to kill biters and another way for trains to kill the player :P.
If you do not finish the track, light will be red and the train will not ride, so only when you manualy steer make cause accident.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, I'm with this, that the trains behavior with any kind of collision should be revisited. It is sometimes not logical yet.

For example: A biter run in a train. Train stopped, but the biter wasn't hit by the train, it was hit by the first wagon. So nothing special happened, but the iter didn't get way, he eat slowly the wagon.

And I think I could count about 3 other examples, of "unlogical" behavior of trains. The bump at the end of rail is just one of it. It would be really fun to see what happens, if only one rail was forgotten. In my eyes, it could be a cool gameplay: Ram the train at the end of a track, the train runs out of the rails (like described) and new tracks are created under the train. In the same time the train is damaged more and more, until it stands still.

So basically you can use this to create rails. Think of one missing track: Just ram it and live with the damage, until a bot repairs it.

Could be part of a cool scenario/tutorial.

Pohybel
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pohybel »

I'm glad you agree with me :D game should not be casual and get some logic in gameplay. The idea of eaters and sleepers biters be good to, for example nuke biter should eat uranium that explain why they explode, and in night should get sleep.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

For inspiration, here is a picture of a derailed train hitting a store that was located just at the end of the line:

(The train came from the left, failed to stop at the end of the track, and crashed right through the store)

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

vanatteveldt wrote:For inspiration, here is a picture of a derailed train hitting a store that was located just at the end of the line:

(The train came from the left, failed to stop at the end of the track, and crashed right through the store)
ooooo....perdy!
The train looks like it would fit the with Factorio graphic style too. I would love to have a disaster like this going straight into my factory. :twisted:
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

Pohybel
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pohybel »

Nice but it not be look like this, train by destroy in the spectacular boom and only hole stay or will stop in vertical position and you can pickup it and put in on the trails
because accident like this needed the finished sequence (do not forget how game physic work) so don't hype yourself and don't get my wrong it's look awesome,
but i think without large changes in code it's impossible.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”