Keep server running with zero players active

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Tybs
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Keep server running with zero players active

Post by Tybs »

Greetings all,

Recently I got hold of a virtual server, on which I decided to keep a dedicated Factorio headless server running: I thought it would give an extra challenge to keep base defenses intact while the base is attacked overnight, with all the players being gone. However, this morning I discovered that the game did not continue from the point where we left off. I guess this makes sense in a technical way, since it seems useless to keep a server active when there is no one playing: however, in our case, we actually want the game to continue at that time. Is there a setting of some sort to make the server behave in this way? Thanks in advance for the help!

Greetz,
Tybs

voyta
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Keep server running with zero players active

Post by voyta »

workaround: connect with another client from the server machine that just stands at 0,0 and keeps the game "alive"

Tybs
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tybs »

voyta wrote:workaround: connect with another client from the server machine that just stands at 0,0 and keeps the game "alive"
Thought of that: it's definitely a nice idea, but my server is purely console based and does not support graphical interfaces. Another issue there is that my linux knowledge is extremely limited, so it doesn't seem to be an option for me at the moment :(. Still, thanks for the helping thought!

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

I asked this about a week ago also no answers. This might be better under suggestions.

Tybs
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tybs »

Thanks for the response: I found your topic after a bit of digging. I'll make a suggestion out of it indeed :)

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

This isn't possible, as auto-pausing the server when no one is on was one of the requirements for the dedicated server feature.

But since there's interest, adding an option to keep the world running shouldn't be too difficult.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Oxyd wrote:This isn't possible, as auto-pausing the server when no one is on was one of the requirements for the dedicated server feature.

But since there's interest, adding an option to keep the world running shouldn't be too difficult.
Thank you :)

Tybs
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tybs »

Oxyd wrote:This isn't possible, as auto-pausing the server when no one is on was one of the requirements for the dedicated server feature.

Awesome: thx for the response :D

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Tybs wrote:Thanks for the response: I found your topic after a bit of digging. I'll make a suggestion out of it indeed :)
Since Ssilk is AWOL, I'll post the link:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =6&t=16777

Return to “General discussion”