Spockfactory v2.0

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

MisterSpock
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Spockfactory v2.0

Post by MisterSpock »

I optimized my designs. Here it is:

Map:
Science and Smelting
Oilprozessing
Modul-, Solar- and Rocketproduction
Trainunloading and Outposts

Here is the 0.12.7 savegame: http://www.mediafire.com/download/mifzc ... actory.zip

Please give a feedback, so i can improve my factory.

PS: Yeah i found out thats it possible to view the full forumimages by scrolling out with CTRL. :shock:

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Spockfactory v2.0

Post by DerivePi »

OK, you asked for improvements so I'll mention the (overly nitpicky) ones I see:
- Science - purple science really only needs 1 assembler for every 10 blue science assemblers and red science could match production with one less assembler (5 total) - recommend productivity modules on purple assemblers
- smelting - cant fully load a moving belt with just inserters. Here's a way to split the furnaces and then recombine into 4 full belts. The area to the right is for mass storage.
smelt.gif
smelt.gif (266.87 KiB) Viewed 20793 times
- oil processing - sulfur production will only support 20 battery chem plants
- Electronics - recommend productivity modules on green circuits then, if you have extra, on the red circuits. Why aren't the green circuit belts fully compressed? Looks like you might be missing a second inserter for the circuits and fe pl?
ckt.gif
ckt.gif (96.19 KiB) Viewed 20793 times
advckt.gif
advckt.gif (100.71 KiB) Viewed 20793 times
- Train unloading - its vertical and only accesses single side of wagons.
- Outposts - could probably ring entire outpost with the same amount of walls and, with enough lasers, don't really need walls anymore.

OK, enough of the silly feedback. Always enjoy your massive and well organized bases! Keep them coming!

MisterSpock
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MisterSpock »

The problem is that the blue belt has small gaps that cant be filled and this gaps reduce the items/s. So not every furnance is running at full speed. Average 21 are running. Theoretic maximum is 26.
The reason why i dont use productivity on green cpu is, i need them for solar.
If everything is running they run with 80% speed average.
I did "rush" this in 27 Hours. Next time i will improve my outposts. Because the lack of trees and the pollution the biter easily kill a 8x laserturret defense.

Here are some data:

~6700 Iron/min
~6700 Copper/min
3-4 T3-Moduls/min
1 Solarpanel/s
1 Accumulator/s
1 Rocketpart/s and the other rocketstuff also
1 Science/s

Dont know why its 1 per second. But i think this is a good ratio^^

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

Feedback to improve the factory?

First off, I consider the train system a mess. Loops, roundabouts, vertical stations, less than max inserter count stations, all of these things I consider sub-optimal. You have 4 belts for each ore. You can completely fill it with a properly designed single 1-4-1 or two 1-2-1 stations, with 10 second loading and unloading times, at a much smaller footprint than what you currently have. Bots can greatly enhance max throughput as well.

Next is the oil system. It actually looks pretty good... but why are you using storage tanks? If it is properly balanced, you don't need them, and it seems properly balanced. At max, you need a single storage tank of each product for circuit detection purposes, any more than that is a waste of space. For crude oil, there is never a need for storage tanks in vanilla, outside of circuit detection. It is far more space efficient to use barrels. It is also far easier to move barrels than to lay pipe. Oil barrels is one of the 2 exceptions to the no-buffer-systems that I try to adhere to. A single steel chest of oil barrels is 48 stacks x 10 barrels/stack x 25 oil/barrel = 12000 oil. It would take almost 5 storage tanks to get the same storage capacity, but the box does it in a single tile.

MisterSpock
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MisterSpock »

Yes the rail loops are not good. how do u fix it?

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

MisterSpock wrote:Yes the rail loops are not good. how do u fix it?
I do favor the circles since they are simple, expandable and easily repeatable (circles can have 4 chain signals at cardinal points around the circle with normal signals at each entrance/exit). But, the argument against the circle right after your import area, is that trains that leave have only two choices, up or down and trains returning should be entering the import station with few exceptions. Considering those limited options, the circle should be replaced by two overlapping horizontal "Y"s. The only overlap is between outbound to the south and inbound from the north. This practice can also be taken to each outpost. The inbound railroad should lead into the outpost station (as you currently have it) and the outbound leg should loop around for the return trip.

Again, I like circles and will continue to overpopulate my railroads with them. I'll let the purists be upset with it.

MisterSpock
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MisterSpock »

The weakest point at this kind of layout are the outpost. Especialy the close ones. For example i lost 20 repairbots in a single attack wave. Atm i dont know a mechanism to autorefill the repairbots.
2. Problem Biters like to eat my large electric pole between my outpost.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

MisterSpock wrote:Yes the rail loops are not good. how do u fix it?
Loops being good or bad is very much a matter of personal taste. There's pros and cons to both, but if you're looking at high throughput stations with multiple platforms, you will get by far the best performance with loops.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

MisterSpock wrote:The weakest point at this kind of layout are the outpost. Especialy the close ones. For example i lost 20 repairbots in a single attack wave. Atm i dont know a mechanism to autorefill the repairbots.
2. Problem Biters like to eat my large electric pole between my outpost.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =8&t=13269

Have a look at DaveMcW's defense system - http://twinsen.info/Web/ - then click on map link and zoom in on any pat of the perimeter- He has 2 rows of laser turrets and then 14 or so tiles away a line of transport belts to keep the spitters from engaging.

I usually depopulate, but I applaud your desire to cohabitate :D

Gus_Smedstad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Gus_Smedstad »

MadZuri wrote:First off, I consider the train system a mess. Loops, roundabouts, vertical stations, less than max inserter count stations, all of these things I consider sub-optimal.
... and which no one else consider sub-optimal. Well, except for vertical stations. Vertical stations don't allow as many inserters, since that's an engine quirk, but loops and rotary junctions are fine, and there are a lot of drawbacks to the train layouts you inevitably suggest.

Svenvbins
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Svenvbins »

Wow, that looks really nice :) May I ask how you "start" a factory like this one? I don't suppose you start with this blueprint right away, since you'd have to walk huge distances and might not know how much space you'll need later. Do you first build a basic base and then when you have a decent supply of building material slowly start?

I mean, starting to build some 100 smelters to start with is massive overkill, but leaving a huge open space to build them later on seems silly as well. Any tips appreciated, I hope to make a nice base as this one one time :)

Gus_Smedstad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Gus_Smedstad »

it's always possible to re-design part or all of a base. Tearing stuff up does mean the stuff you pick up does nothing for a little while, as you re-build to your new layout, but there's no real cost to doing so beyond downtime. Except for fluids - those can be a pain because picking up a storage tank destroys the contents.

Smelting areas pretty much require that you re-design at least once, since stone furnaces require fuel and electric furnaces don't, and of course electric furnaces are bigger. As demand grows, you may want to redesign anyway. In one base, for example, I started with a system where all the furnaces fed onto one belt, and then later re-worked it so there were two main belts with iron plates that merged at the end, where it became a high-speed belt.

MisterSpock
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MisterSpock »

Svenvbins wrote:Wow, that looks really nice :) May I ask how you "start" a factory like this one? I don't suppose you start with this blueprint right away, since you'd have to walk huge distances and might not know how much space you'll need later. Do you first build a basic base and then when you have a decent supply of building material slowly start?

I mean, starting to build some 100 smelters to start with is massive overkill, but leaving a huge open space to build them later on seems silly as well. Any tips appreciated, I hope to make a nice base as this one one time :)
I did build it part for part. No starter-factory. I did start with the smelting area and proceed with the science part. Then Oil, Chip, Solar, Rails. I planned the design on paper. I did only build 8 furnances in the beginning and continusly update it. Difficult to see but there are space between the furnances: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =520752799

There is a replay option for the uploaded savegame.

Svenvbins
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Svenvbins »

Thanks guys, very helpful! Completely forgot about the replay option too, so thanks for mentioning :)

Shekki
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Shekki »

Nice Facotrio I wish I could build something like this, as well organized. My builds usually ends up one big mess, even with main buss design.

Question: Why you don't use express belts everywhere? I see blues, red, yellow belts all around of the place, so why is that? Are you trying keep belts compression packed up as possible? Also this save is really useful to see what kind of modules I should use in which build.

MisterSpock
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MisterSpock »

Expressbelts take lots of ressources and they are not nessessary everywhere. Also replacing takes time.

Shekki
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Shekki »

Yeah, I've been searching info about belt compression, item through put etc. Basically if all your inserters are working and there is max compression faster belt usually breaks that compression, so you need more inserters.

Also item per second for yellow red and blue is: ~10, ~20 and ~25 that extra 5 isn't worth it, as you also need more input to belt a lot. Earlier I went all crazy with fast inserters, express belts but realized you don't need them everywhere, like if item takes like 10s to make, you will do fine with yellow inserters. Faster items that only need 0,5s to make 3x fast inserters can be used or so.

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

Isn't blue ~30? i thought it was 3x yellow

MisterSpock
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MisterSpock »

LordFedora wrote:Isn't blue ~30? i thought it was 3x yellow
yes, but in real its ~ 25 or less cause, the lack of compression

Rockstar04
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Rockstar04 »

MisterSpock wrote:
LordFedora wrote:Isn't blue ~30? i thought it was 3x yellow
yes, but in real its ~ 25 or less cause, the lack of compression
To get full cocmpression on a single blue belt you need to use a splitter to combine 2 into 1 if you are loading it with inserters

Return to “Show your Creations”