TL;DR:
Reduce the weight of Space Platform Foundations and add weight to individual entities.What?
- Reduce the weight of Space Platform Foundation from 20000 to 2000.
- Add EntityPrototype::weight.
- Default: this.weight = 18000 * area_of(round_up(this.collision_box))
- Override the default for certain entities we would like to make lighter (Solar Panels? Belts? Inserters?) or heavier (Reactors? Cargo Bays? Foundries?).
Why?
2.1.21 recently changed the Space Platform thrust-drag formula, making weight (instead of width) the main limiting factor on acceleration and top speed.But only Space Platform Foundations and the Space Platform Hub have weight. The latter is mandatory, so whatever, but the former is one-dimensional.
I dislike that 9 tiles occupied by a Solar Panel vs. a Cargo Bay vs. 9 Transport Belts all have the same weight. I think that Solar Panels need to be relatively light to remain even vaguely competitive against Nuclear an Fusion Reactors. I dislike that I feel that I MUST remove every tile of Space Platform Foundation that doesn't have an entity placed on top.
I think that individual weight properties for each entity will give both Wube and modders more levers to pull to improve the variety of space platform designs.
Reddit mirror


