Multitrainnetwork belt-based

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

york2dx48
Inserter
Inserter

Multitrainnetwork belt-based

Post by york2dx48 »

The following Trainnetwork is buildt for more than 30 trains. What do you think about that trainsystem?
The Mainstation is belt-based. There are only a 2 inserters for each train, cause I am using a mod for putting 200 ore together to 1 compact ore. (CompactPower)
The Mainstation has got 6 unload station for different ore's and materials and is buildt for Trains with one wagon, but with this shape it is unlimited extendable.
The Mainstation has got 2 Coal load stations, which have got the same name, so that the train just chooses the free coal load station. I would add more coal load stations for more trains.
Each loading station and the main station has got a service station to drive to the certain station without stopping other trains.
Trainnetwork 1.JPG
Trainnetwork 1.JPG (97.67 KiB) Viewed 21058 times
Mainstation zoomed in.JPG
Mainstation zoomed in.JPG (74.47 KiB) Viewed 21058 times
What do you think about that Network?
Do you prefer a robot-based Mainstation or a belt-based Mainstation?

RoddyVR
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Multitrainnetwork belt-based

Post by RoddyVR »

I'm confused as to the purpose of the service stations. Do you load/unload fuel onto the trains there or something? or do they serve some other purpose. I dont quite understand what " to drive to the certain station without stopping other trains" means, but am very curious about various trainstation setups.

york2dx48
Inserter
Inserter

Post by york2dx48 »

RoddyVR wrote:I'm confused as to the purpose of the service stations. Do you load/unload fuel onto the trains there or something? or do they serve some other purpose. I dont quite understand what " to drive to the certain station without stopping other trains" means, but am very curious about various trainstation setups.
Okay service stations are just for the player like me and my partner. For example you can go from on of the two main service stations( next to the base) with your own train to an other point on the map. And you can leave the train at those service stations and the normal trains, which are carrying material can still work, because you didn't block their loading station.
Why do you want to go to the certain point on the map? For exploring the map and starting further away or for checking or improving the mining drill system or just to drive around.
Why can't I just destroy the train instead of building a service station. Because that will waste the space in your inventory ( 3 slots locomotiv, wagon coal)

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

5/10, contains loops ;)

york2dx48
Inserter
Inserter

Post by york2dx48 »

MadZuri wrote:5/10, contains loops ;)
Why do you think, loops are unnessessary?

It contains loops, so that a train can just go whereever it wants to go without using a longer ways, instead of going the complete was back to the mainstation. In that way you can create a train schedule with more than two stations.

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

york2dx48 wrote: Why do you think, loops are unnessessary?
Loops are completely unnecessary, as are the loop-based junctions. There are no non-loop tutorials out there though, so everyone uses loops.... Well, except those of us that spend a lot of time on twitch.tv

york2dx48
Inserter
Inserter

Post by york2dx48 »

Would you mind to explain how it works or give an example?

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

I use double-headed trains, and 2 lanes, with T junctions. I'll search my imgur for good examples
map
outpost
sideways
Tjunction
4way

york2dx48
Inserter
Inserter

Post by york2dx48 »

Thank you really much. I think it is a really good idea. You're right, it looks better and works because of no circles better. It's probably even better than my old sytem.
I'll try it in my current map and might upload a map in about on week, when the system is big enough and it's worth it to show.

DeamonEngineer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DeamonEngineer »

junctions are better than roundabouts and loop based train layouts, it keeps trains moving and can support more train capacity, junctions can be a pain to signal depending on how complex and how many lines you use.
as madzuri demonstrated its a great design and more people should use it. if anyone needs more info on this feel free to ask or drop by mine or madzuri's twitch stream at:
http://www.twitch.tv/Madzuri
http://www.twitch.tv/DeamonEngineer

and for the most in depth knowledge please check out Colonelwill's stream in V.12 as his base is to big to run at the moment:
http://www.twitch.tv/ColonelWill
Last edited by DeamonEngineer on Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

Those links are supposed to be twitch.tv

DeamonEngineer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DeamonEngineer »

MadZuri wrote:Those links are supposed to be twitch.tv
fixed XD force of habbit

A_Factorio457
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by A_Factorio457 »

Can you post a map download? I am having a very difficult time understanding. Thanks :D

york2dx48
Inserter
Inserter

Post by york2dx48 »

A_Factorio457 wrote:Can you post a map download? I am having a very difficult time understanding. Thanks :D

Yes :)
Just give you google mail address and I will share it on drive with you. :)

Batsma2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Batsma2 »

Madzuri, one thing has me stumped, how do you prevent train deadlocks with so many signals so close together?

RoddyVR
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RoddyVR »

I think that system is lock resistant because each path a train could take basicaly looks like this

Code: Select all

------s------------s----------s-s-------s-------s-------
with the s-s being the part where all the tracks cross. yes whenever a train is "in" the intersection it locks up 3 blocks, but as there cant be another train that could be comming out of the intersection and need either of the noncenter blocks (as its on another path), the conditions for a dead lock are basicly that there is a train on each section of track IN BOTH directions between this intersection and teh next, with the trains comming off this section of track both wanting to cross the middle, and there's already another train in each intersection wanting to come onto this section.
Basicaly, that will realisticaly only happen on your super busy section of track (say the first one out of your main section) and only if you have enough trains to fill every block (in both directions, and for some reason the "exit" from the first intersection after your main station gets blocked up by something. You'll get a line of trains that came out of your main station forming away from the station, then the station will fill up, then the path to it, and when the waiting trains reach back to the intersection, you'll likely get a deadlock.

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

I didn't post a reply earlier because the question was answered during stream. Loop-based and intersection-based systems rail systems behave completely differently and require a completely different signaling method. With intersections, you need a signal before and after every single intersection, merge, and diverge. You do that in a loop system and it will jam every single time. Without all those signals the intersections will jam. The intersection-based system (properly signaled) is far less prone to lockups and can allow much higher train throughput than loops can. (It also take up a fraction of the area and resources)

Batsma2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Batsma2 »

thanks for answering here, and also on colonelwill's stream :)

i've tried implementing this in my bases, and indeed i get a lot less deadlocks, but they arent gone yet until we get pre-signals (chainsignals)

delassa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by delassa »

Figured I'd post this for completeness, expanding the T-intersection for the merge of 2 heavy traffic lines
As long as the diagonal parts are long enough to hold one train between the signals it allows one train to sit on the "siding" while another comes along and goes a different direction
But really in 95% of cases your better off not using this monstrosity due to the space and just use what madzuri put up.

I'm guessing you could mirror and combine somthing like this for a 4 way without needing the roundabout in the middle (unless you wanted the trains to be able to do a U-turn) as well but I haven't tested that yet and at heavy loads it would jam anyway.

york2dx48
Inserter
Inserter

Post by york2dx48 »

That looks really good and what I am thinking about your 4way Cross is: So you can do that, but it will get really confusing with all the railsignals and the distance between the rails will get really small, actually wee And you will have problems to place the rail signals. You can do that, what madzuri did or you can buildt something different. will show you soon.I think you T-Junction looks good if you want to make it nice and tidy.
your drive on the right hand side
your drive on the right hand side
4way.PNG (991.2 KiB) Viewed 14869 times

Okay. I think it is actually a funny huge version, but it really works without any jams.

Return to “Show your Creations”