I don't remember clicking the screw you button.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
DaemosDaen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

I don't remember clicking the screw you button.

Post by DaemosDaen »

I started a new map today and encountered something funny.
Setting as follow:

Size: all Very Big (this includes enemy bases, and starting area)
Frequency all low, with enemy bases set to very low.
Richness: regular (all)

What I was hoping for was plenty of starting space, nice sized resources, spread far apart (was wanting to avoid the little 1-4 square resource plots.
This is what I got:
ouch.JPG
ouch.JPG (38.41 KiB) Viewed 6350 times
I started in the middle right about where I am now.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: I don't remember clicking the screw you button.

Post by FishSandwich »

What you want to do you can't do with the vanilla generator, try the RSO mod.

DaemosDaen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaemosDaen »

iI'll take a look.

I can live with the little patches, if I have to. I'll just build over them. (outta sight, outta mind.
Just thought people might get a chuckle outta a noob playing with the settings

DaemosDaen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaemosDaen »

Check out RSO, and then disabled it, it's settings are a little tough to work with.

so I started a new map and got something funnier:
Attachments
Woops.JPG
Woops.JPG (35.89 KiB) Viewed 6318 times

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

DaemosDaen wrote:Check out RSO, and then disabled it, it's settings are a little tough to work with.
Can you write what you found tough in RSO settings?
Might help me update the instructions or add better comments there.

DaemosDaen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaemosDaen »

orzelek wrote:
DaemosDaen wrote:Check out RSO, and then disabled it, it's settings are a little tough to work with.
Well, I kept getting maps that had my starter resources (I guess you could call it) but the next nearest resources were really far away, normally within a chunk (per the documentation) away from a biter nest, I fiddled with the setting, I changed the starting area, but the resources were just father away. I changed Absolute resource chance, but that did not seem to impact anything.

I would find stuff it was all mixed up, making it hard to mine. (yes I know I real life it's that way) I tried changing the multi- settings, but gave up on them too.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

If it's the Biters you are afraid of in the first picture then use following settings:
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (135.22 KiB) Viewed 6281 times
Set the enemy base size to Medium or at most at Big. Otherwise the generated nests will be quite close and just one huge wall, lasting for many, many chunks, sometimes even endless.

Setting the enemy bases to Very low and the size to very big is much more difficult to survive than setting both Frequency and Size to Very Big, it's something I experienced in the past quite often. But playing with settings where Enemy Bases are huge and/or very frequent is something only recommended for advanced/experienced players anyways because you will have a hard time playing when every 20-30 seconds huge swarms of biters chew on your turrets/walls and at some point you might even have to give up on the map because you weren't progressing fast enough and can't kill the evolved biter nests you'd need to kill in order to do more research or because you run out of space to build with no chance of killing the nests to make more room. Or you will run out of resources and the next patch is so far away that you'd have to slaughter hordes of biters which leads to the same problem.

Also a tip:

If I have to recommend something... use the map editor to check on some Map Seeds to find some you like and check out the neighbourhood there, because there you can scroll and look what the map with the settings and the seed will look like. It might take away the surprise a bit, but you will also avoid getting dumb maps.

The look of the landscape (distribution of water/land/biomes) is only influenced by Terrain Segmentation, Water and Starting Area. If you enter a specific Map Seed combined with a specific setting from the 3 options mentioned the map will always look the same.

The resource settings (Iron, Copper, Stone, Coal, Oil, Enemies) are independent from the other settings above and you can play around with them without changing the look of the landscape, so you can adjust the resource settings and regenerate the map until you find something that suits you.

I play with similar settings like you want...

Terrain Segmentation: Normal
Water: Medium
Iron/Copper/Stone/Coal/Oil: Very Low, Very Big, Regular
Enemy Bases: Very High, Very Big, Regular
Starting Area: Very Big
Map Seed: 10

With the difference that due to my experience I set the Enemy base frequency to a maximum as well as their size and it's real nightmare. I used the map seed 10, but with very low/very big Iron/copper Ore they are really spaced very far from each other in the beginning, which took me hours in the start to overcome, but I'm glad that I did because I like that map seed otherwise. When adjusting the resource settings there are settings where the resources are much closer to each others, but you will have to fiddle around a bit in the map editor to find something suitable.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

DaemosDaen wrote:
orzelek wrote:
Well, I kept getting maps that had my starter resources (I guess you could call it) but the next nearest resources were really far away, normally within a chunk (per the documentation) away from a biter nest, I fiddled with the setting, I changed the starting area, but the resources were just father away. I changed Absolute resource chance, but that did not seem to impact anything.

I would find stuff it was all mixed up, making it hard to mine. (yes I know I real life it's that way) I tried changing the multi- settings, but gave up on them too.
The distance to closest resources is how RSO works. Having it close to biter nest was an rng thing - you should get plenty of resources without biters on them. If you want smaller distances change the region_size config setting to something smaller (I haven't tested that one tho might get interesting).

Return to “General discussion”