Designing an LTN-style Logistics Train Network in Vanilla Factorio 2.0 Using Interrupts

Smart setups of railway stations, intelligent routing, solutions to complex train-routing problems.
Please provide - only if it makes sense of course - a blueprint of your creation.
farazsth98
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Designing an LTN-style Logistics Train Network in Vanilla Factorio 2.0 Using Interrupts

Post by farazsth98 »

Hey guys, so I made a video where I design an LTN style logistics train network from scratch, using the circuit network and the new train interrupts system in 2.0.

I chose to do a long form video of me designing the system from scratch, because all other videos I found about vanilla logistic trains networks simply showcase the system, and provide blueprints for players to use.

You can find the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EggDldJVggM

To me, the fun is in designing such a system from scratch, and using it to learn how powerful the circuit network system in this game really is. So come along for the ride! You can even follow along in your own sandbox world.

How is this different to other vanilla logistics trains networks?

There is one key feature that I was aiming for with this design: Every train can service requests for every resource.

This is important to me because previous logistics train networks in vanilla Factorio have always resulted in trains only serving requests for one specific resource. You end up with Iron plate trains, Copper plates train, Green Circuit trains, etc.

The old systems could have situations where Copper trains are waiting at the depot, while there are Green Circuit requests on the network that aren't being fulfilled due to all Green Circuit trains being busy.

With my system, this will never happen. If a resource is being requested, and there is a train idle at a depot station, it will automatically fulfill the request.

This means that trains only idle when there **truly are no requests to fulfill**. The trains themselves are not bound to a specific resource type or station.

How do the interrupts help with this?

One key aspect of the interrupts is the ability for trains to have dynamic schedules. Previously, you could not dynamically change a train's schedule. Once it's set, it's set.

In Factorio 2.0, you can combine the interrupt system with the circuit network to allow trains to detect when a specific resource is being requested. Then the train can dynamically setup it's schedule to go to that resource's provider station, followed by the station requesting it.

Is it really that easy?

If you try to naively implement this system, you'll run into issues with multiple trains being dispatched for a single resource request, and then trains getting stuck in the interrupt.

In order to solve these issues, you need to make use of some advanced circuit network techniques.

In the video, I design the system from the ground up, so you will see the "naive" implementation, followed by me fixing the issues that pop up using the circuit network.

Anything else?

I hope it is useful for you guys to see such a video where a whole new system is designed from scratch. It is a really long video, so I don't expect many people to watch it from start to finish.

I just hope at least one person finds it useful and starts designing even better systems in the future!

farazsth98
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Designing an LTN-style Logistics Train Network in Vanilla Factorio 2.0 Using Interrupts

Post by farazsth98 »

I created a new video with multiple improvements, and I go through how they work as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRGAVDndFwk

Here are the key points:

- Parametrised Interrupt allows one interrupt to fulfill every type of resource request.
- Modified Provider Station setup now allows you to specify how many cargo wagons to fill at the station.
- Parametrised Blueprint allows you to setup Provider and Requester stations infinitely easier.

I specifically went through the steps to set up a parametrised blueprint, which I hope is useful for you guys to learn from.

Return to “Railway Setups”