Possible unlimited resources exploit in Space Age ?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Mad Inventor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Possible unlimited resources exploit in Space Age ?

Post by Mad Inventor »

Having seen the previews for recyclers and quality bonuses, I'm wondering if it would be possible to break the game with a combination of productivity modules and recyclers.
The quality preview said that the Space Age quality bonuses could apply to productivity modules, which would mean even more free products for the same materials.
If you build up productivity bonuses and then send part of their production to be recycled (using splitters, filter inserters etc), could the recyclers end up producing more raw materials than you need to produce the stuff you recycle?
I haven't seen if anyone has already brought up this idea. But it could trivialize the resource management side of the game, if you could reach a point where you don't need to mine any raw materials or even produce intermediate products, because you get all your input by recycling the "free" output from productivity.
Last edited by Mad Inventor on Fri Aug 23, 2024 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HunD34TH
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Possible unlimited resources exploit in 2.0 ?

Post by HunD34TH »

If I remember correctly
Max productivity capped at 300% ( moddable )
Recyclers gives 25% of the items

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Possible unlimited resources exploit in 2.0 ?

Post by Loewchen »

2.0 is the next major release version and does not include Quality or the Recycler, those are part of the expansion.

Mad Inventor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Possible unlimited resources exploit in Space Age ?

Post by Mad Inventor »

- Edited the post and topic to mention the expansion instead of the 2.0 version.
- I'm not sure this system would be impossible even if 300% productivity is a maximum, because productivity bonuses are compounded when you apply them to each intermediate product as well as a "final" product. This depends on how recycling will work. If it only returns the intermediate products that are directly used to make the recycled item (example - green circuits from recycling modules), then this limits how much you can get for free by recycling the productivity "extras".
If recycling returns the most basic raw materials (example - recycling modules returning the copper and iron that made the green circuits) and those are then fed through a production chain in which every step has some productivity bonus, this could still lead to an unlimited resources situation.

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. It's not even out yet, and the devs are aware of potential exploits using productivity and recycling. They'll make it work without issues.

HunD34TH
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HunD34TH »

These things that you are theorize about are already explained in the FFF 375
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-375

JoshuaJosephson
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JoshuaJosephson »

There's a prod cap

And theres a 25% resource drop chance with the recycler.

I think this will add up to 65-70% of the resources being available.

Return to “General discussion”