Friday Facts #429 - Vulcanus Demolisher Enemies

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Byrnorthil
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #429 - Vulcanus Demolisher Enemies

Post by Byrnorthil »

I had another thought: are these going to be hell to fight fairly in online multiplayer?

IIRC latency hiding measures aren't applied to combat... which (if I understand) would mean you'll frequently be hit by AOEs you dodged on your screen. Which isn't fun.

If it's at all possible to apply latency hiding to these attacks, please do so.

boran_blok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by boran_blok »

I haven't read trough the entire thread, so sorry if this was mentioned before. But please test if the map is also usable in colorblind mode.

Only after very careful study of the map image I could discern there were apparently red stripes on areas. As someone with red-green colorblindness red stripes on a red/brown planet might as well not be there.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

mmmPI wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:50 am
Tertius wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:01 pm
I'm sorry to get somewhat salty, but I don't want to have real fights in Factorio.[...]
I don't think you will necessarily have to boss fight, imo, that is similar to the game terraria, where you can do the boss fight "the intended way", or you can set up automated kill zone with traps and wire and engineering. From reading the FFF Earendel mention different strategies one of them involving luring worms in specific area designed to kill them.
Now that I think about it, this is a way I proposed combat myself a few months ago. I want control over when I go to combat. No combat when I don't feel like it, and when I feel like it, I prepare for and activate combat. If cleaning the territory on Vulcanus is like this, then it's acceptable. As long as the proper weapons are available when it's necessary to expand into worm territory, and these weapons are able to take down the demolisher without me performing some kind of death dance around his ground explosions.

I'm not the person that orders and micromanages a spidertron army to clear nests. My strategy to clear nests is building stationary artillery that initially clears the area and keeps the area clean. Supplied by automated supply trains. This is how I do enemy automation. However, it's only possible late game when artillery becomes available. Too late in my opinion. If it's somehow possible to do a similar thing on Vulcanus with the demolishers, it's fine. However, it needs to be different, since once an area is cleared, it stays cleared here, which is not the case on Nauvis.

However, since I'm unable to think 2 different things at the same time (defend against enemies AND factory building), I will probably do the same thing I did for my 2nd map for 1.1: disable enemies completely to be able to fully concentrate on building mechanics and factory building. My first map I abandoned due to the enemies and not being able to find a proper weapon against them with my limited knowledge at that time. The shotgun for example was in my perception not worth the wood it contains, and I died too often to realize.

wizcreations
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wizcreations »

I don't understand a few things:
Why do the engineer's attacks hit behind the head and not hit the worm's face?
Why is the ground exploding 50 feet in front of the worm as it chases the engineer?

deegeeooh
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by deegeeooh »

Well, it's a pity that I cannot read anymore FF's because I don't want spoilers anymore but I'm sure it's great stuff :D

sarge945
Inserter
Inserter

Post by sarge945 »

I really like this design. I have always been of the opinion that Factorio had a very shallow combat system that was largely underutilised in the base game, because the combat was very badly designed, so you could essentially circlestrafe your way to victory and defeat the biters by attrition in a tank. The defensive gameplay had the basic design of a tower defense game, but lacked the enemy and tower variety to really make it worthwhile or interesting, and clearing out biter nests is just a total chore. The combat essentially boils down to building big enough walls and enough flame towers to become invulnerable, and either building artillery or jumping in your tank when you need to expand, so that you can tediously clear out biter nests in relative safety. It's a lot of manual effort, without offering much depth or strategy. It's a slog.

On the other hand, this seems like the perfect enemy design, it requires actual strategy and planning, rather than grind. Instead of constant annoyance, instead you get a large challenge when trying to expand, which is great.

I speculate that the true reason why so many people play with biters off (or peaceful mode on) is not that they actually don't like combat in a factory building game on the conceptual level. More likely they tried it, found it tedious, and convinced themselves that combat has no place in a factory building game after the fact, possibly without even realising it. With some better combat, more and more people should be able to play with combat turned on and have a good time, because it won't be the tedious grindfest that it is now.

The real issue on Nauvis is that the enemies are weak but numerous, so your main way to beat them is by just pumping huge amounts of resources in their general direction, and circlestrafe their attacks, and they go down after a while.

This looks like the opposite design, which can only be a good thing.

When 2.0 comes out, if the combat on Nauvis still sucks but is good elsewhere, I hope some mods can focus on fixing up Nauvis's combat. I would start by reducing the total number of biters but making them stronger (which also helps to nerf flame turrets too), and giving them movement-based abilities (like the ability to blink short distances, but not past walls) so that you can't circlestrafe them. This recontextualises Nauvis as the "dig in and hold" planet, and should make clearing biter nests much much more dangerous (but also a bit quicker as there's less actual stuff to kill) until you unlock artillery. I would also make biter nests spread much much slower, but in much larger numbers, so that given time the biters can absolutely infest an area, but you won't keep having to clear out minor nests constantly.

TioQueToca74
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TioQueToca74 »

Hiekie wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:15 pm
If this comes to the game this would be an immediatly loose of interest in the game for me.
I am not good at combatting at all en it removes the fun completely in my eyes..
I guess you can always disable combat

TioQueToca74
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TioQueToca74 »

EnerJi wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:08 pm
Looks cool, and I'm not generally a fan of biters / combat in the game right now. New enemy abilities like this will encourage me to leave enemies on when I play.

Is it me, though, or does there seem to be a lot of work left before the expansion launches in just one month? I hope they're able to finish it all up in time. I'm guessing there might be several significant patches post-launch to tweak things that don't make it for the 2.0 launch.
AFAIK, the game is already done, and they are just testing everything, and probably tuning somethings... or at least that what they said in a FFF whose number I can't remember

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

TioQueToca74 wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:22 pm
AFAIK, the game is already done, and they are just testing everything, and probably tuning somethings... or at least that what they said in a FFF whose number I can't remember
Small adjustments in values can make a huge difference in gameplay, so the finetuning in the last days before release can have a huge impact on the perception of the game. For example, if there was an enemy who is able to one-shot the player, because it deals slightly more damage than the player's health. Now reduce the damage slightly, so it isn't a one-shot any more. This would be a small number change but a huge difference in gameplay.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

For some constructive feedback; here is what I propose:

1) I think this creature should go after the heavy machinery in its territory. This is the miners, the foundry, refinery, and trains. I think having it chase after trains could be interesting, but this is hard to program (I am sure).
2) I would hope that the map territories are not so obvious as what was shown. There needs to be some form of discovery to see where their territory is. I like the idea states that decoratives will show the patrol path. Flat out showing the borders of territory feels too... cheaty.
3) I love the idea of lava bursts around it as it is aggressive, what a cool implementation.
4) Please do not make them so easy in the late game. I do like having the God-mode abilities, but I still prefer challenging engagements.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

RocketManChronicles wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:39 pm
2) I would hope that the map territories are not so obvious as what was shown. There needs to be some form of discovery to see where their territory is. I like the idea states that decoratives will show the patrol path. Flat out showing the borders of territory feels too... cheaty.
Given the size of the territory for a worm, you will either have super fast worm, or risk having the worm destroying what you built on the far away side of its territory 10 to 15 minutes later when it finally get there, making it really hard to know wether or not what you are building is "safe" when building.
You could think you are safe, but you expand a build and you'd only know 10 to 15 minutes later for everything ... the "discovery process" may be not-fun in those conditions.

I would love that the decoratives show the path in a more subtle way, but i think for gameplay purposes it is very important that the territory information is visible too, be it in a special mode or in map view.

AdrianGrey
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by AdrianGrey »

I love the Demolishers! I was a little worried that Vulcanus was going to be uninteresting as a planet due to the relatively minimal differences in the factory gameplay compared to Nauvis, but this changes everything - the territory system and a focus on single large enemies rather than swarms of smaller ones completely changes the dynamic between the player and enemies and I think it's going to make Vulcanus gameplay really fresh and interesting (while still making it a less-complex planet ideal for your first expansion off Nauvis). Also, the design is just so damn cool.

BLESS THE MAKER AND HIS WATER

bnrom
Inserter
Inserter

Post by bnrom »

I think it'd be nice if once you go beyond a certain number of territories (i.e., Demolisher's killed), the edge-most territories start having a chance of being reclaimed by Demolishers.

Return to β€œNews”