Version 0.12.3

Information about releases and roadmap.
cbethax
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Version 0.12.3

Post by cbethax »

Unless there is a 3rd party program like uPlay or social club (damn you R*), there's no problem playing games in offline mode in Steam.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

cbethax wrote:Unless there is a 3rd party program like uPlay or social club (damn you R*), there's no problem playing games in offline mode in Steam.
What about reinstalling the game on another computer offline?

Rage
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rage »

kovarex wrote:
cbethax wrote:Unless there is a 3rd party program like uPlay or social club (damn you R*), there's no problem playing games in offline mode in Steam.
What about reinstalling the game on another computer offline?

rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rorror »

Thnx for the updates! have not posted in a while, but i am back in the game since 0.12.1

Keep up the good work team!

Ojelle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ojelle »

Cooolaid wrote:Love the new main menu background.
and thanks for the fixes :)

BTW - I wanted to Gift this game to several of my friends and family. but it seems there is no way of doing that.
hmmm. - This is a reason why steam would be a good thing in certain ways :)

Anyways, I hope the game will be available on (BOTH) the website itself and on steam.
Reason being is, there are people out there like myself that have lost Internet for several weeks do to the ISP technical difficulties,
or someone backing out of the driveway and the internet cable gets caught on their mirror and voila, out of internet.

this being said, Steam does not allow any games to be played unless it's actually connected to the net.
its kinda of a noose around the neck sometimes in some situations, if you know what i mean.
I hope it would be like minecraft, that it doesn't need internet if playing SP, when Factorio finally makes it on steam..
Just thought I would bring that up.

As far as I know, steam DOES allow playing offline. If you cant connect, select 'play in offline mode', then you enter your mail and pw, and then you can play any game you have installed any time. (unless the game itself requires internet ofcourse, but i cant think of any but the obvious [mp])

Edit: apparently im already the third :P
And you can reinstall a game on as many computers as you wich, when you log in, you log out on the rest, if you are in offline mode,or playing offline, you can ofc keep playing too. (your account can only be online on one comp only)
Choumiko wrote:
sillyfly wrote:kovarex just posted the thread... but with #118 in the title. I think they had too much beer :D
It's a wonder how good the game is, if you consider how bad they are with the FFF numbers :mrgreen:

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Yes, but my question is, if you can reinstall steam game on different computer and play it there while being offline.
If no (I assume it is the case), once you don't have internet, you can play only as long, as you use the original installation on the original computer.

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

You can, as long as the game doesn't have any DRM. Like The Witcher games, you can just move or copy the steam/steamapps/common/Witcher (or whatever) folder to anywhere, even other computers, and it should work fine.

Cooolaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cooolaid »

I dont think that is true.
otherwise people would just share game files and steam would have a serious problem.

as far as I know over 90% of games on steam can not be played while not having internet.
as it will ask for connection to steam server.
I tried a bunch of games last time I did not have internet, and it threw a error message back saying it could not play the games, because I was not online.
the games was single player games btw.
and steam needed to be connected to internet in order to let me play the games.

I will try this again when I get back home later today by disconnecting my router from my computer.
see what happens. :roll:

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

You shouldn't just disconnect your network, you should also set Steam to Offline mode. Then most games (provided they don't have online content) should work just fine.

As for the possibility of copying the game files over: that works just fine for games that don't use Steam DRM (Kerbal Space Program is one of those of which i know for a fact it works, because that's how I play it)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

SWSe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SWSe »

To use Offline Mode, you must have been online at least once on that machine. Support site also says you should run any game you'd like to play at least once when still online, but I believe this is only to make sure there's nothing else that has to be done for it to run properly (first-time setup etc.) and I'd guess this isn't really necessary most of the time. I can't say that for sure, though.

You must save your account credentials when logging in if you want to be able to start into Offline Mode later.
More info: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -agcb-2555

Also, as Boogieman14 indicated, some game executables can even be started without Steam running at all, but at least of the games I own, this only applies to a few ones.

So, to answer the initial question, you cannot just copy the files and run the game without conecting to Steam for most games.

Cooolaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cooolaid »

Boogieman14 wrote:You shouldn't just disconnect your network, you should also set Steam to Offline mode. Then most games (provided they don't have online content) should work just fine.
Disconnecting my network simulates me losing internet completely.

@SWSe thanks for the link, will read it :)
and yes, some games might be able to be started without steam due to those games not using DRM for those games. But thats very very few games that do that., very few.

Basically, the whole point im trying to get across here is.
That I hope the Dev's for Factorio makes sure that they dont get locked down by steam by only having their game available on steam.
So people like myself that finds their way into internet connectivity situations as I have.
That they can still enjoy playing their game, while not needing the internet to play it, when they are disconnected, due to RL connection problems.
Thats all im worried about. :D
Last edited by Cooolaid on Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

billw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by billw »

Align wrote:You can, as long as the game doesn't have any DRM. Like The Witcher games, you can just move or copy the steam/steamapps/common/Witcher (or whatever) folder to anywhere, even other computers, and it should work fine.
This doesn't work any more. It used to, but Valve "fixed" it. Now you have to use the "backup steam games" thing and I don't even know if that will restore to another computer or allow you to play the restored games without first signing into Steam to validate.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

billw wrote:
Align wrote:You can, as long as the game doesn't have any DRM. Like The Witcher games, you can just move or copy the steam/steamapps/common/Witcher (or whatever) folder to anywhere, even other computers, and it should work fine.
This doesn't work any more. It used to, but Valve "fixed" it. Now you have to use the "backup steam games" thing and I don't even know if that will restore to another computer or allow you to play the restored games without first signing into Steam to validate.
This is not true. Maybe for some games but...

The bottom line:
If the game uses Steamworks protection or some other DRM and must be launched through steam then you have to use offline mode, backup/restore, etc. It may not have 3rd party DRM but it still has 1st party DRM. (Steamworks, not that steam will tell you this in the store page.)
If you can launch the game directory without steam open then you can copy/move the entire game folder to another machine without bothering to install steam there. (I don't know if this works for the Witcher an I have the GOG version. One game I do know this works with is Starbound (If you bypass the launcher.)

Some games have a launcher that is integrated and requires it to be launched from steam. Sometimes you can bypass the launcher and start the game directly, without steam running. This can be moved to any machine without bothering to have steam running.

The most you might have to do on the other machine is install steam so dlls can be found where they are expected but it's not always needed.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Ojelle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ojelle »

MasterBuilder wrote:
billw wrote:
This is not true. Maybe for some games but...

The bottom line:
If the game uses Steamworks protection or some other DRM and must be launched through steam then you have to use offline mode, backup/restore, etc. It may not have 3rd party DRM but it still has 1st party DRM. (Steamworks, not that steam will tell you this in the store page.)
If you can launch the game directory without steam open then you can copy/move the entire game folder to another machine without bothering to install steam there. (I don't know if this works for the Witcher an I have the GOG version. One game I do know this works with is Starbound (If you bypass the launcher.)

Some games have a launcher that is integrated and requires it to be launched from steam. Sometimes you can bypass the launcher and start the game directly, without steam running. This can be moved to any machine without bothering to have steam running.

The most you might have to do on the other machine is install steam so dlls can be found where they are expected but it's not always needed.

Going to be honest: did not read everything since my last post, but I want to add:
If you log in on another computer, you can just install it again trough the internet, no need to manually move files. Steam knows you got it on multiple computers, but that is just fine (for all my own games as far as i know (90something))
You can then play the game on both comps, but only one can be online. (the other just goes in offline mode or boots offline)

Edit: should be studying, thus, I didnt read everything to lose less time :P
Edit2: thus = ancient english? is that word still used?
Choumiko wrote:
sillyfly wrote:kovarex just posted the thread... but with #118 in the title. I think they had too much beer :D
It's a wonder how good the game is, if you consider how bad they are with the FFF numbers :mrgreen:

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Ojelle wrote: Edit2: thus = ancient english? is that word still used?
Ummm i wouldnt reallly say so XD
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/thus
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Can fast item inserting like ctrl right click with ammo in hand to turret or ctrl left click be included in latency hiding? So i can take and remove items without lag? That would be so useful! Because it does not seem to be working well with latency hiding i have to click 2-3x sometimes.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

cpy wrote:Can fast item inserting like ctrl right click with ammo in hand to turret or ctrl left click be included in latency hiding? So i can take and remove items without lag? That would be so useful! Because it does not seem to be working well with latency hiding i have to click 2-3x sometimes.
Yes, it is already fixed for the next version. The action itself is still delayed, but it is compatibile with latency hiding, so it takes into consideration the locally selected entity when sending the action..

Cooolaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cooolaid »

hey @kovarex

Ive been meaning to ask. - lets say I have 12 gun turrets lined up on a wall to protect my base.
and I have for Example 2-k ammo in my hand.
I want to have a way that I can manually feed all those turrets, but without actually having to open each and every turret to feed it into.
But also not let 1 turret take all the ammo, I want to be able to split the 2-k ammo throughout all 12 turrets evenly.
Basically "fast Feeding" for beginning stages of the map.

Is that even possible in any way ?

:? :)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

In that situation, you could put a full stack into each turret with ctrl+click and still have ammo left over.

Cooolaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cooolaid »

FishSandwich wrote:In that situation, you could put a full stack into each turret with ctrl+click and still have ammo left over.

if math serves me correct, no you cant place full stacks if you have 12 turrets and have 2-k ammo.
2,000 / 12 = 166 ammo per turret.

btw, the mods i have installed lets me place 1-k ammo max in each turret.
Im playing modded Factorio, which changes a lot of vanilla mechanics.

;)

Return to “Releases”