Which Client is uploading the map?

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
Legolars
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Which Client is uploading the map?

Post by Legolars »

Hey folks,
I played around a little bit to set up a dedicated Server (v0.12.2). So far it's wotking fine, I was able to start the server on a VServer running a Ubuntu 14.04. Two friends of mine and me were connecting to the server, but sometimes the map upload was performed by one of our clients and not by the server. We have a weak upload speed (max. 100kb/s) and the server is able to push up to 1MB/s.
So here is my question: how is the game deciding, which client should upload the current map to the new joining player? Is there a mechanic to share the uploadspeed? Let's say my two friends are already connected to the game and I am joining late. So there are two game clients and the headless server which could send me the map. But in fact, it looks like a random process to decide one of those instances to be the uploader. Is there a way to force the server to be the uploader in any case?

CyanThunder
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Which Client is uploading the map?

Post by CyanThunder »

I may be wrong on this, but I believe it's spread out across the peers/players on the server and they all upload the map to the joining peer/player. Also the maximum download speed is limited by the peer/player downloading the map.

Gymble
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Which Client is uploading the map?

Post by Gymble »

It should be that, or at least I expected it to be. But it's not.

We get the same bahviour than the OP. 3 players, 2 with a max of 80KB/s upload, one with 800KB/s. All with the port forwarded.

Indeed, the one launching the game is the one with 800KB/s and the first client connecting is downloading fast.

But when the third of us connect he systematically download the map on the second peer and so @ 80KB/s. The speedy one having a displayed UL rate of 0.

Return to “Multiplayer”