Moving Fortress

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

libik
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Moving Fortress

Post by libik »

Hi,
the idea is simple - creating moving platforms which should be something like huge fortress for frontal assault. Platform itself is created just from "ground" and almost any objects on the platform can be used in the same way as usual. The main difference is only that you have to add huge "platform wheels" and some "engine" to move with it. The fortress is used in the same way as vehicle.

On the platform you can create a powerful weapon system with ammo distribution, supplying engine with coal for moving, creating energy for keeping the supply distribution in progress and whatever else you want. Bigger platforms need bigger (more) engines. You can also build a wall around your platform so enemies have to first destroy wall to attack equipment inside. Shooting towers should have only few ammo inside at maximum, so you really have to care about efficient distribution of supplies to them.

When you are using platform, the platform is above earth and the equipment inside cant interact with equipment outside (like other rails, chests etc.). However when you go out, the platform "fall" down and connect to any existing equipment. With this, you can create "docking station", where you can return after attacking enemies and allow your machines to reequip your fortress with ammo, coal, charge batteries etc.

Nirahiel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Moving Fortress

Post by Nirahiel »

It's a factory game dude.
What's that, a moving fortress :o
We're not in star wars ^^

Having ways to transport resources to your stationary defense systems is one of the main purposes of the game.

Aarkreinsil
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Aarkreinsil »

Would be interesting for a mod, where you could move your entire factory with a huge machine, just like the sandcrawler in Star Wars.
Other than that, it would make trains and everything else that's supposed to connect long distances obsolete and kinda defeat the purpose of the game.

We already got deployable fighting robots/drones, so if you wanna attack something, just mass-produce and spam those. I could also see tanks or other kinds of battle-vehicles making it into the game, so, probably no need for this.

libik
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by libik »

Nirahiel wrote: Having ways to transport resources to your stationary defense systems is one of the main purposes of the game.
Those are 2 different things. For defend you always need good stationary defense system with transporting resources.

For attacking enemy base, you can create moving platform. It should require a lot of energy and not moving very fast... well fortress .)
Aarkreinsil wrote: Other than that, it would make trains and everything else that's supposed to connect long distances obsolete and kinda defeat the purpose of the game.
Not at all, the moving platform is supposed to be heavy attacking machine, which require huge ammount of energy (coal) to move, it is not fast and cannot be automatised.

Nirahiel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nirahiel »

libik wrote:automatised
Out of topic, can I ask you where you're from ? :)

supernet2
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by supernet2 »

+1 totally support this idea, the idea of a moving fortress sounds godly if not amazing, sheerly amazing, but to not automate its production well... should add caps like... say making the larger platforms take hours to assemble just like the rocket assembly, this would be a amazing concept

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Fortress
Just need a roboticiser and a blue hedgehog...
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

hagnat
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by hagnat »

alt suggestion

create a vehicle with a roboport and some small energy storage (enough to power the roboport only)
make your mining station/fortress a blueprint
dismantle your current fortress, store everythin on roboport
move to next area
deploy, using the blueprint

connect new mining station via train

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Woa. That brings me to a cool idea:

1. We can create a basic plattform structure. Something which might be used later in space. A basic plattform is nothing else than a small piece of game-surface (see https://mods.factorio.com/mods/MagmaMcFry/Factorissimo ).
2. If you have enough you can mount the surfaces together to a big platform with chain drive. So this platform can drive around.
3. Then you can build anything on this platform like on ground. Power supply, roboports, ...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

ssilk wrote:Woa. That brings me to a cool idea:

1. We can create a basic plattform structure. Something which might be used later in space. A basic plattform is nothing else than a small piece of game-surface (see https://mods.factorio.com/mods/MagmaMcFry/Factorissimo ).
2. If you have enough you can mount the surfaces together to a big platform with chain drive. So this platform can drive around.
3. Then you can build anything on this platform like on ground. Power supply, roboports, ...
I already suggested something like that back when they first announced the space plattforms.

Back then I pointed out what if we actually transfered parts of our static home factory/base onto such a platform... and used that to travel to different locations on the map or even different planets (in the far, far off future) altogether... and only build static things on the planet's surface to gather resources and the necessary stuff to protect the mining operations if you so want.

It would be ridiculously expensive to research all the components necessary to build the platform and to expand it, several magnitudes above anything we have currently in the game, but if you get there that's the endgame... driving around with your big platform, gathering resources, doing random quests the game provides you and whatever else they might come up with.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Cool idea! I want something like this
https://youtu.be/b5E-VyQOfNM

Or this

Or this

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Such a feature would have quite a lot of flexibility. You could have a portable factory, a Fun-Sized Mobile Agony and Death Dispenser covered in turrets that you can just walk around, maybe a portable mining setup, etc.

There would be quite a lot of things to consider though... How would it interact with ground entities for example? If you want it floating around over everything then how do you pass items between it and the ground? Also do you board it or enter it like a vehicle? Or both? And how?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

In "Ringworld" they had flying buildings. They sweep in the air by superconductivity (the Ringworld is based on a network of superconductive cables). That might be possible in the game also: There is so much ore in the ground, that you can create a magnetic field so strong, that the platform don't falls down. (I know, not super-realistic :) )

But that is also a possible way to bring the space-platform into the space.

Oh, and I forgot, that I've already made a suggestion for that: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7750 Flying buildings.
I added some pics. :)

PS: I really like this pic: http://infinispace.net/wp-content/uploa ... gworld.jpg
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

There could be 3 tiers of chassis: heavy tracks, spider legs and levitators with different capabilities and properties.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I'm sure this would be possible in a mod (would need to be enclosed of course) to some extent. Maybe the modular bit would be a bit much but then who knows.

I'd love to mod, unfortunately I don't have any time at home and while I could poke around at work my PC there won't run Factorio xP

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:I'm sure this would be possible in a mod (would need to be enclosed of course) to some extent. Maybe the modular bit would be a bit much but then who knows.
AFAIK it's not yet possible to show two surfaces simultanously one on top of another. This would require different way of rendering that is out of scope of mods I think.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Not necessarily something that you can build on top of but like a vehicle that you can enter and has a surface hidden within it. Placing machines in certain points would affect the vehicle, such as turrets, power, maybe walls, etc. Would need to come up with an interesting way of powering it though since solar isn't powerful enough for its size and pumping water into it for steam wouldn't make sense both realistically and logistically.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Not necessarily something that you can build on top of but like a vehicle that you can enter and has a surface hidden within it. Placing machines in certain points would affect the vehicle, such as turrets, power, maybe walls, etc. Would need to come up with an interesting way of powering it though since solar isn't powerful enough for its size and pumping water into it for steam wouldn't make sense both realistically and logistically.
That's not fun.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”