Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

[MOD 0.12.11+] Torches

Post by Klonan »

Updated for 0.13: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Klonan/Torches

Type: Part
Name: Torches
Description: Early in the game, it gets dark, its not nice. A simple Torch will do handy!
License: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Version: 0.2.0
Release: 2015-10/14
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.12.10
Category: Item
Tags: Low tech, Coal, Wood, Illumination, Early Game, Iron

Long description
Pictures

Plz leave me any feedback, bug reports or compliments either here or somewhere!
Old releases
Last edited by Klonan on Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 32 times in total.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.22] Torches!

Post by Peter34 »

That looks very good. Matthew tried making a kind of Burner Lamp, a month or two ago, but it didn't work very smoothly and I think he gave up on it. But the very early game does need some light.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Peter34 wrote:That looks very good. Matthew tried making a kind of Burner Lamp, a month or two ago, but it didn't work very smoothly and I think he gave up on it. But the very early game does need some light.

Yea i had a look at the burner lamp mod before i started this, but i felt like the implementation wasn't what i wanted for a mod like this.

Thank you for your kind words :D I always like to make a nice looking sprite, and make the end use experience a very smooth one

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Mod has been updated to 0.1.2: Small tweak to the collision box, i kept getting snagged on it. Download in 1st post

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Updated for 0.12.0, Download in first post

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.12.0] Torches!

Post by Koub »

[Moved to Mods for 0.12 ‹ New Items, Entities, Extensions (0.12) by Koub]
Klonan, would you please apply the template you can find here in your first post ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.12.0] Torches!

Post by Klonan »

Koub wrote: Klonan, would you please apply the template you can find here in your first post ?
I have done so :)

Just posting to say, slight update has been released, i forgot to add shadows to the sprite, but i have fixed that now, version 0.1.4 can be downloaded from the OP.

EDIT: Updated again to fix some logic

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.12.X] Torches & Iron Lantern

Post by Klonan »

Updated to include new mod with same principle. Iron Lantern is similar to Torches, except requires research and is up a tech level in many ways. Is more efficient than Torches, and produces more light

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Klonan wrote:Updated to include new mod with same principle. Iron Lantern is similar to Torches, except requires research and is up a tech level in many ways. Is more efficient than Torches, and produces more light
Do you imagine non-steampunk players will actually ever use the Iron Lanterns? It seems to me that your Torches, although a very welcome mod (not just for youtubers but also just general players like me), is a thing only to be used in the early game.

One thing I'd really like to see, which I'm hoping you might add to your mod, is Small Lamps, electricity-powered. 25% the power use and half the light strength/radius of normal Lamps. Lots of decorative uses for those, in the long term.

Xyfi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xyfi »

I've been looking into your mod for research-purposes, trying to create a self powered furnace. I guess you are aware of this, but I can use your torch to power machines around it simply by placing a electric-pole next to it ^^. But I guess there is no way to avoid that at the moment. :roll:

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Xyfi wrote:I've been looking into your mod for research-purposes, trying to create a self powered furnace. I guess you are aware of this, but I can use your torch to power machines around it simply by placing a electric-pole next to it ^^. But I guess there is no way to avoid that at the moment. :roll:

Lol yea, but soon after it will not have enough water to power it (i designed the fluid logic that way)
But the light will work in the power network ;P

I hope my mod helped you :)

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Just posting to let people know, just released a small update, and i think the mod is in a pretty finished state now, and that i wont be updating it much more. Downloads in teh OP and i will post below.

Any further feedback and stuff, i will be happy to hear it :D
Attachments
IronLantern_0.1.5.zip
(62.37 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
Torches_0.1.9.zip
(33.93 KiB) Downloaded 292 times

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Klonan wrote: Any further feedback and stuff, i will be happy to hear it :D
Your mod was done as overcomplicated as it ever could be :o

In the underground I just set the lamp to be negative 1 kw and then I just need to put down a power pole and an accumulator to remove the no electricity blinking!

Then if the lamp would burn out as your mod does the lamp is added to a global.lavalamp table on the top position and as time passes the bottom position is removed and everything moves one step down until a lamp is on the first position then it deletes it all.
never the less your mod is still awesome :D!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

jorgenRe wrote:
Klonan wrote: Any further feedback and stuff, i will be happy to hear it :D
Your mod was done as overcomplicated as it ever could be :o

In the underground I just set the lamp to be negative 1 kw and then I just need to put down a power pole and an accumulator to remove the no electricity blinking!

Then if the lamp would burn out as your mod does the lamp is added to a global.lavalamp table on the top position and as time passes the bottom position is removed and everything moves one step down until a lamp is on the first position then it deletes it all.
never the less your mod is still awesome :D!

I dont think that would work as well for my mod, i mean how would you refuel the light?????

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Klonan wrote:I dont think that would work as well for my mod, i mean how would you refuel the light?????
Oh umm thats a pretty good question hmmm OFCOURSE!
Make the thing that makes the light object invisible, but add in a chest that looks like the original light. Then to refuel the light you have to put fuel into the chest light.:)!
The refueling would have to be done once every time the light burns out.
Logo

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

jorgenRe wrote:
Klonan wrote:I dont think that would work as well for my mod, i mean how would you refuel the light?????
Oh umm thats a pretty good question hmmm OFCOURSE!
Make the thing that makes the light object invisible, but add in a chest that looks like the original light. Then to refuel the light you have to put fuel into the chest light.:)!
The refueling would have to be done once every time the light burns out.
Well... Why make a chest, when i can use a boiler??????????

I think the way i've done it is the almost optimal execution for what i was aiming for. The boiler will show energy drain, and flash no fuel when its empty. The fluid code i used will make sure it turns on and off correctly, along with using the right amount of fuel :]

I looked at a lot of way to do it, and this is the best i could come up with ;P

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Klonan wrote: Well... Why make a chest, when i can use a boiler??????????

I think the way i've done it is the almost optimal execution for what i was aiming for. The boiler will show energy drain, and flash no fuel when its empty. The fluid code i used will make sure it turns on and off correctly, along with using the right amount of fuel :]

Yea that flashing is probably a very good indication, but i guess the only benefit from what i'm suggesting is that there may be huge perfomance increases :D!
Seeing as the way i would of done it would require much less lua code to run every now and then. Only a if something is in position 1 then it refuels it with coal in the chest. And thats it. None of the other lamps needs to be checked :)!
Logo

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

jorgenRe wrote:
Klonan wrote: Well... Why make a chest, when i can use a boiler??????????

Yea that flashing is probably a very good indication, but i guess the only benefit from what i'm suggesting is that there may be huge perfomance increases :D!
Seeing as the way i would of done it would require much less lua code to run every now and then. Only a if something is in position 1 then it refuels it with coal in the chest. And thats it. None of the other lamps needs to be checked :)!
My code is pretty much at minimal levels for performance cost :P

My code isnt designed to refuel the chests for you lol, you're meant to refuel it yourself. I think the way you're thinking wouldn't fit right for the nature of my mod. My lamps just check the fluid code, every 120 ticks, probably could be less often. the refuelling isn't done by the code :]

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Torches

Post by Klonan »

I have updated the mod, no migration script (because i am LAZY) so if you want to upgrade, just load your game without the old mod, should remove all the junk, then load with the new version... Much better now though, upgraded like i have re done burner generator...

Iron lantern may come soon (though i don't really like it any more in my mind)

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [MOD 0.12.11+] Torches

Post by Klonan »

Mod has been updated for 0.12.11+

Return to “Mods”