Smart rail signals

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

thewd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Smart rail signals

Post by thewd »

Hi all,

We have in 0.12 smart tanks, smart pumps and some combinatory magic.
As said in Friday Facts, adding to circuit network is not so complicated now.
What if there will be subject?
Switching red or green by circuits signal.
It will give players wide possibilities to make automated rail stations and even railyards.
It can also be on big pole, like that:
http://railwayz.info/photolines/images/ ... 835444.jpg

UPD: I`ve found signal_state at rail-signal object,but it is read-only so I can`t just turn it on and off in LUA :C

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Smart rail signals

Post by FishSandwich »

IIRC its planned for 0.13

thewd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by thewd »

Well,I thought that if there are lots of smart stuff in .12,so there can be non-null probability of smart rail signals in 0.12.x ^^

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

thewd wrote:Well,I thought that if there are lots of smart stuff in .12,so there can be non-null probability of smart rail signals in 0.12.x ^^
I won't count on it. Consequent 0.12.x releases will mostly contain bug fixes and rebalancing, with perhaps a few minor new features.
Making smart signals sounds like something much more complicated, which I'm guessing the devs will want to wait with until 0.12 is stable.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

I think changing signals via the logic network isn't that smart, as it may lead to trains crashing into each other?
Assume these cases:
  • signal is red: there is a train in the next block. Changing it to green would mean a potential crash
  • signal is yellow: a train is approaching the block and can't break before entering it, also potential for crash
  • signal is green: changing to red is ok
Changing to yellow makes no sense at all i think, as yellow is equal to red for all trains except the one that set it to yellow. I could be completely wrong though.
So the only change that is secure is from green to red. Meaning you should only be able to force a train to stay at a position depending on a circuit condition. Maybe that would be better used as a feature at a train station?

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

I agree that the only option that makes sense is "force red", that is - if a circuit condition is met the signal is red, otherwise use original logic.
And while you are correct that in most cases it will be better to control the train stops themselves using the circuit network, depending on actual implementation controlling the signals may also be useful.
For example, if you have a few stations with the same name, and you want to temporarily block a few of them (because they already have enough resources).

thewd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by thewd »

My idea was separate signal, to be placed near usual block signal. So first signal will be "train ready for depart" and second -track free. I m on vacation now,in couple of days will try to write some ideas in lua.Sillyfly,exactly!It is kinda "station signal". I will try to merge stations with circuit net, signal will do a "force red"

craftoBot
Inserter
Inserter

Post by craftoBot »

I'am working on connecting railway to logic system...
First part https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 828#p94828

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”