Mobile Construction Vehicle

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Mobile Construction Vehicle

Post by kiba »

I love the mobile construction vehicles from the command and conquer series.

Would love to see it here in factorio as well. However, I don't think it makes much sense and would require readjustment and rebalancing to make it worthwhile?

Why it doesn't make sense:

* Personal roboport makes the idea basically moot as you can do the same thing except less bulky.
* Alternatively, have a truck with a roboport attached to it and call it a day.

How it could make sense:

* Remote control base construction. Don't want to walk all the way there to do it? No problem. Just send the MCV there.
* Sheer cargo haulage. You can't fit everything inside your personal roboport.
* Could smelt and assemble materials as needed to manufacture what it needs on the spot.
* Your small size can't power a huge robot swarm. So, the MCV, being bigger and bulkier can support bigger power generation, and thus, bigger swarms.
* Deployment into a bigger and bulkier building makes the MCV a much more defendable unit than it would otherwise be if it was mobile.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Mobile Construction Vehicle

Post by kiba »

With modular vehicles, a dedicated mobile construction vehicle is basically m00t since you can build a mobile construction vehicle by using the right modules.

wwdragon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by wwdragon »

kiba wrote:With modular vehicles, a dedicated mobile construction vehicle is basically m00t since you can build a mobile construction vehicle by using the right modules.
Yes! :-D
Modular vehicles!

OP's post has an important point: we need a lower tech, non-powersuit available mobile construction method.
Putting a robo port into a car or tank sure would solve that. :-)

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

wwdragon wrote:
kiba wrote:With modular vehicles, a dedicated mobile construction vehicle is basically m00t since you can build a mobile construction vehicle by using the right modules.
Yes! :-D
Modular vehicles!
I still want a transforming vehicle!
OP's post has an important point: we need a lower tech, non-powersuit available mobile construction method.
Not necessarily a lower tech. It's just bigger and more bulky and more productive.

wwdragon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by wwdragon »

kiba wrote:
wwdragon wrote: OP's post has an important point: we need a lower tech, non-powersuit available mobile construction method.
Not necessarily a lower tech. It's just bigger and more bulky and more productive.
Well if I have to go up to the purple research to get it, then there's no point in using it.
By that time, I'll have one in my powersuit. :-)

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deepdriller »

wwdragon wrote:
kiba wrote:
wwdragon wrote: OP's post has an important point: we need a lower tech, non-powersuit available mobile construction method.
Well if I have to go up to the purple research to get it, then there's no point in using it.
By that time, I'll have one in my powersuit. :-)
Yes, but keep in mind that having a viable alternative means freeing up slots in the power armor (and inventory).
Also, it could function as an auxiliary power source to jump-start production, like a mobile accumulator.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Don't forget that a vehicle roboport can use the vehicle's inventory. This means hauling twice the goods or more, since the player's inventory gets loaded down with other stuff. And if you place it on a conveyor belt the whole thing can MOVE. Plus shields plus automatic turrets if it uses suit modules. Think about that.

Hopefully modular vehicles get their own benefits to keep them competitive with power armor. For example the engine is a form of power source, so maybe it could have more free space and use use energy sapping modules where the player can not.

If vehicles end up getting super awesome, we're going to need a vehicle hauling option for trains! Get those tank lines rolling.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

bobucles wrote:Don't forget that a vehicle roboport can use the vehicle's inventory. This means hauling twice the goods or more, since the player's inventory gets loaded down with other stuff. And if you place it on a conveyor belt the whole thing can MOVE. Plus shields plus automatic turrets if it uses suit modules. Think about that.

Hopefully modular vehicles get their own benefits to keep them competitive with power armor. For example the engine is a form of power source, so maybe it could have more free space and use use energy sapping modules where the player can not.

If vehicles end up getting super awesome, we're going to need a vehicle hauling option for trains! Get those tank lines rolling.
I am very excited about those things, even though factorio is just a game and the programmer can program the game to do anything...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”