Express or Fast train signals

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Express or Fast train signals

Post by starholme »

I've read several times that people have the problem of a slow train cutting off a fast train.

I'd like to propose an 'express' signal. Express signals would only be passable by a train over a certain speed (configurable?). Slower trains would treat the signal as red.

This would allow for track setups with a 'slow' outer lane for accelerating/decelerating trains, and a 'fast' inner lane that only trains above a certain speed could use.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Express or Fast train signals

Post by Takezu »

Well, i think no need for a new signal, but it would certainly help if you could finetune the priority of the signals and in that end trains.
I mean, if i could programm a signal so that trains on the main route hav always priority over trains that come from an Stop like mines or so.
That would be helping a lot.

If a slow accelating/deaccelating lane is possible at all is to question, the pathfinding doesn't only rely on signaling. Trainplacement along the network are also considert. not sure if you don't just end up with your trains driving parallel to each other regardless of speed.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

starholme wrote: Express signals would only be passable by a train over a certain speed (configurable?). Slower trains would treat the signal as red.
This idea looks nice, but won't work, because how fast is this speed-limit? Think of mods, which have super fast trains. Think of future extensions to the train system. This is not a "constant" and it makes also no sense to make it configurable.

In my opinion fast tracks can be simply created with the coming circuit network: That enables you to pass in slow trains into the fast track only, if there is no fast train coming and so time enough to accelerate. I also think, that it is relatively easy to switch a signal to red with a modded circuit network enhancement, so that slow trains can be sorted out.

And so on, I bet, we will see soon after 0.12 some kind of this mechanics working.
No need for other types of signals yet.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

ssilk wrote: In my opinion fast tracks can be simply created with the coming circuit network: That enables you to pass in slow trains into the fast track only, if there is no fast train coming and so time enough to accelerate. I also think, that it is relatively easy to switch a signal to red with a modded circuit network enhancement, so that slow trains can be sorted out.
How would you implement a fast track system with circuit network ? In the current version (and the coming 0.12, unless I missed a mention of this) there is no way to change a train signal to red other then putting a train on that track segment that the signal is at the start of.

Personaly, I don't understand how the system is expected to differentiate between a slow train and a fast train, too.
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

First: Sorry, I mixed it up, it will come with 0.13. But I bet we get some mods for 0.12, that enables it also.

Measuring if a fast train comes in: Taking signals of some previous train signals on track. AND them. If still green, there is no train on track. The entry signal can go green.

Measuring too slow trains: A train enters a measure point. A timer is triggered. If train reaches the end of measuring before timer runs out, he is fast and next signal keeps green. If not next signal goes red and train searches alternative route (the "slow route").

And so on. There are endless possibilities to make your train network "smart" with this type of thinking. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”