Friday Facts #92 - Personal roboport

Regular reports on Factorio development.
kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #92 - Personal roboport

Post by kovarex »

One of the handy things that is going to be introduced in 0.12: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-92

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Friday Facts #92 - Personal roboport

Post by Klonan »

Hyped alreadyyyyyyyy

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

Hey, those turrets aren't rotating :(

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Like that leaves fall from the tree when it's being removed.

Hype +1
Waste of bytes : P

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deepdriller »

Align wrote:Hey, those turrets aren't rotating :(
I suppose the turrets in the previous FFF were rotating to show all sprite, not because that's what it does in-game.
Do you really want to have a bunch of constantly spinning turrets on your map? Maybe randomly pointing in different directions from time to time would be a nice touch, but that...

ltnickmage
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ltnickmage »

also if you had turrets that were constantly moving then that would also reduce performance

Bytenex
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bytenex »

Already hyped too. Looking forward to do weird stuff with this personal army. Also waiting for headless server with 0.12 even if the multiplayer already worked very well with 3 people over internet. Oh and not to forget the combinators. Maybe a few more cable colours and you could almost write a computer program for your factory.

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

They also aren't yellow. They look broken. o.ô
Last edited by Gandalf on Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

How will electrical power for recharging robots in the personal roboport work?

Real RoboPorts use huge amounts of power, many kilowatts, compared to the ridiculously few watts available in Armor Modules.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Peter34 wrote:How will electrical power for recharging robots in the personal roboport work?

Real RoboPorts use huge amounts of power, many kilowatts, compared to the ridiculously few watts available in Armor Modules.
That is why the energy values in armor modules were multiplied by a big factor.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Gandalf wrote:
They also aren't yellow. They look broken. o.ô
That might be .gif's colour compression at work here. Normally they don't look as … muddy.

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

kovarex wrote:That is why the energy values in armor modules were multiplied by a big factor.
Is that safe? I think you should offer a security drill before players are allowed to wear that. :D
Oxyd wrote:That might be .gif's colour compression at work here. Normally they don't look as … muddy.
Makes sense.
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

I might be mistaken, but I think you mentioned Personal Roboport in that report :P

Original
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Original »

Finally we will be able to clear out a land from filthy infestation of trees without having to place roboports and power lines.

In one place it says the robots will stay attached to the player no matter what and in other it says if you place robots in air and hop on to train without letting them land you should be aware. Aware of what? The robots will be attached to player even if he/ she hops on to the train and leaves.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Original wrote:In one place it says the robots will stay attached to the player no matter what and in other it says if you place robots in air and hop on to train without letting them land you should be aware. Aware of what? The robots will be attached to player even if he/ she hops on to the train and leaves.
Aware of it will stay attached to you and aware of robot limit per roboport ... If robots have to travel large distance to you they will discharge and move very slowly, so you may end up with robots far away that are eating away from your robot limit.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Original wrote:Finally we will be able to clear out a land from filthy infestation of trees without having to place roboports and power lines.

In one place it says the robots will stay attached to the player no matter what and in other it says if you place robots in air and hop on to train without letting them land you should be aware. Aware of what? The robots will be attached to player even if he/ she hops on to the train and leaves.
I believe so, while they are making their way back to you those slots will still be taken up by those bots slowly crawling their way beck to you to recharge and get back into your inventory.

jhoson
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jhoson »

How about assigning a key or a UI element to turn the personal roboport on and off?

Way better than removing the roboport, bots or the armor.

Acius
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Acius »

My modular armor was *already* full. Full of sweet juicy goodness from all the modules. And I must have this, so what to sacrifice? One of the four exoskeletons? One of the five personal MK2 shields? So much sadness, so much excitement.

A little more research at the top end of the tech tree would be nice--a larger size of modular armor, or possibly a little pet that follows me around and has an inventory. I know cars and tanks have inventories, but driving them is such a pain that I prefer to walk... I really want a pet robot dog, honestly. And while I'm dreaming, I want him to also pick up the tens of thousands of alien artifacts littering the landscape, because it's annoying and too much work to get them all, and I don't have much use for them ever since I maxed out the tech tree.

I am playing with "very rich" enemy bases, and building my train network effectively involved carving a path through a huge forest of alien burrows. I really do need all of those MK2 shields, they've saved my life many times. I guess one of the exoskeletons has to go...

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

I like how when they return into your inventory, they cartoonishly shrink at the bottom as if you drank them through a straw :lol:

Graybeard
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Graybeard »

Looks pretty darn sweet. Looking forward to the release. :D

Return to “News”