keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[MOD 0.17.x] WaiTex 1.3.5: A HD Texture Pack

Post by keyboardhack »

Details
  • Name: WaiTex
  • Version: 1.3.5
  • Description: Introducing HD textures into factorio!
    Replaces most(Soon all) of factorios textures with HD resolution textures.
  • License: CC BY-NC 4.0
  • GitHub: https://github.com/TheAIBot/WaiTex
  • Factorio version: 0.17.x
  • Downloads: See below
Spotlight
FishSandwich made this spotlight of WaiTex 0.2.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BqxUHBPz2g

Credits
This mod would not be possible without this github project
https://github.com/nagadomi/waifu2x
Many thanks to nagadomi for creating a program that can upscale anime(and factorio images!).

Important
Having all the textures loaded at once requires a lot of vram(GPU memory) so this mod is split up to a full version that requires ~1.5GB of vram and a 1GB version that only requires 1GB of vram.

Mod compatibility
WaiTex should be compatible with all mods.
WaiTex will affect all mods that uses base textures by overriding their textures just like what WaiTex does to the base game.

Texture issues
If you are experiencing any problems with any textures(like only half the player is shown) then delete your cropcache.dat in your factorio folder and restart the game. If the error still persists then please tell me so i can have a look at it.

Current version
Factorio version 0.16
Version 1.2.4
  • Updated to 0.16
Full version: https://github.com/TheAIBot/WaiTex/rele ... _1.2.4.zip

Older Versions
Last edited by keyboardhack on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 73 times in total.
Waste of bytes : P

Robbier2713
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.11.22] WaiTex HD Texture Pack

Post by Robbier2713 »

ALL OF MY LOVE!!

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

I will happily accept all of your love :D

New version is out
Version 0.2.0
-- Added diesel locomotive
-- Added cargo wagon

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Wow.

The amount of joy I feel for this mod cannot be expressed in words.

I literally want to have your babies.

TheWrongCat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TheWrongCat »

You sexy beast. These are glorious.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

I came here to express my excitement/gratitude...
FishSandwich wrote:I literally want to have your babies.
Yeah. I think its already been covered.

shelli
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by shelli »

Nice Job! :o
Looks awesome

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

How do you upscale these images? Are you doing it all by hand, or rather use some software/own sophisticated upscale algorithm?

Cordylus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cordylus »

More screens please! :)

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

psorek wrote:How do you upscale these images? Are you doing it all by hand, or rather use some software/own sophisticated upscale algorithm?
Added credits to nagadomi for his amazing program waifu2x.
It's a mix of waifu2x and my own modifications to the images. I made a few tools to reorder, split and shrink the images so they will fit within the 2048 x 2048 texture size limit.

Glad everyone likes the mod :D

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Hey this mod is really really damn great.

Is there a way for it to be arranged so that two people can play MP together, where only one person has this mod? Since it only affects what the local game looks like I hope it won't be impossible

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

I haven't tested it but this mod shouldn't change the game state at al(well the game says it does, but it doesnt)l. That means no desyncs!

The player that doesn't want to use this mod could just disable all the texture changes by following these steps

1. Unpack the mod and open the file AllowedTextureChanges.lua with a text editor(notepad, notepad++ etc).
2. Delete the zipped file.
2. In AllowedTextureChanges.lua change all true to false
3. Save the file before closing it.

Now the player have the mod enabled, but doesn't get any texture changes.

Or the player can just use this stripped down version of the mod(should work but haven't tested it)
WaiTex_0.3.0.zip
WaiTex_0.3.0
(854 Bytes) Downloaded 498 times
New Version
Version 0.3.0
-- Added tank
-- Added radar
-- Added basic mining drill
https://www.dropbox.com/s/37v7s3k7nsc07 ... 0.zip?dl=0

runiko
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by runiko »

LOVE the work on this. Amazing how a touch-up on such details enhances the game experience.

COMPATIBILITY FIX WITH DYTECH
Open to see the Fix
Hope this helps someone!

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

runiko wrote:LOVE the work on this. Amazing how a touch-up on such details enhances the game experience.

COMPATIBILITY FIX WITH DYTECH
Open to see the Fix
Hope this helps someone!
Fixed the bug for the next release by not applying my textures if the base texture has been changed. Although that is not what i want to do. I want every single mod out there, that uses base textures(usually has a color on it to make it different from the base game), to be compatible with my mod in a way that allows them to use WaiTex textures if WaiTex is installed.

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

Is somebody reading John Resig's blog? :D

Also why is it so difficult for Factorio devs to implement HD textures? (I'm not complaining, I actually wonder)

Edit: Also holy sh*t you weren't kidding about the video memory.
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Maybe it's not difficult, but it's no priority, which in my opinion is good news.
Maybe it's the time that i'm born and raised, but at that time first came Gameplay, and contend, than eyecandy.
HD Textures aren't the importenst thing on earth, better have a stable enjoyable game and then think about improving it's graphics.
Looking at the most games today, they all look great with their HD graphics, but most are absolute unenjoyable b...s... and/or buggy as hell.
And then are even the best textures are for naught.

Don't get me wrong it's nice that someone take up the pin,
but i hope that the devs have other things far higher on their priority list then HD Textures or graphical nonsense.

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

Yeah, you're not the only one who feels like a grandpa when watching people fight over whether GTA V is better on PC or console because of graphics.
There is no question that gameplay features should be a higher priority, but that doesn't mean graphics don't matter. And if implementing HD graphics were as simple as dropping in the new sprites and adding a handful of lines to get them running,that should be doable.
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Think of it the other way around. It takes time even if it looks like it's easy, time that you can be used to fix bugs minor or major, time you can use to improve gameplay, time to improve whatever you can think of, what is more important? and on the other hand, it takes time to MAKE the sprites in the first place. All time that can be spend better on other things atm. Don't forget this is considert alpha, and i don'T say that there should never be graphic improvments, but graphics is a thing for the fine polishing and should stand somwhere in the end not at the beginning.

And maybe a bit nostalgia, but games with no HD and all that nonsens have their own charme.

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

Well, sprites are made by graphics designers, not programmers. Also the models already exist so it's only a matter of rendering them. My point, again, is that if all that was needed for devs to do was to just throw them in and add a couple of lines to make them work, that might be worth it, considering that there are a lot of people who have been asking for them.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

I Actually saw it on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/
Gandalf wrote:Well, sprites are made by graphics designers, not programmers. Also the models already exist so it's only a matter of rendering them. My point, again, is that if all that was needed for devs to do was to just throw them in and add a couple of lines to make them work, that might be worth it, considering that there are a lot of people who have been asking for them.
Sadly they don't just have to change a few lines of code. They are limiting the texture size to 2048 x 2048 to support as many grapichs cards as possible and this limit makes it a lot of work to incorporate the HD sprites because they are often larger than the allowed size. I have changed quite a bit of code to circumvent the limit by splitting, reordering and changing Animations and i am only around half way done with all the textures.
Sadly it will be a lot of work for the devs : /

Return to “Mods”