Inverse filter setting (Is not filter, take all except...)

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: is not filter inserter

Post by ssilk »

If I had such problems as described, I would install me the filter splitter mod. https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=4822

But I never (!) had. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ofca
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ofca »

Well, my needs for such a contraption resulted from overlapping ore fields described above. I never needed any belt magic whatsoever. Must be doing something wrong judging from the amount of request for belt splitters/joiners/whateverers ;)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think the need is much stronger, if you play without bots. With bots I really cannot think of good usage cases for that. :)

An example (and this goes a bit off topic, but I just want to show alternative game-plays): In my last world (175 hours and not working with 0.11 :cry: ), I had a the "Sorter Station"-station: 4 train stops, I unloaded about 10 trains per minute there. The station was really big, cause of the rails before and after that. But the main function of this station was to sort the delivered materials (as the name describes):
- ores where reloaded into the smelting station loader.
- coal goes to the coal store loader
- trees to the power station loader
- stone by belt to the stone-factory nearby.
- alien eggs to the alien-egg-train-loader
- the rest-material where either stored (better dumped?) here or
- reloaded to my grand-main-factory-loader (usable stuff like miners, assemblies, inserters etc)

Everything worked just with requester chests.

My outpost just put everything useable into the trains. My trains, which comes always from the outposts here just unloaded everything, the robots sorted it into the right directions.

I think this "sorter station" is a good idea if you want to play long, cause it works also as buffer and it really makes things easier in some ways, cause you can input just "stuff" and it directs it to the right places. The needed space is eventually a problem, but if you play with the boxing mod, you don't need to put everything into other trains, you can put it just on belts and move it to the right "sub-factories".

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Daughter thread:
Inverted Smart Inserter

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Well there are applications for such an inverted smart inserter... At least I can think of some where the workaround would be placing tons of inserters taking out everything else.

But I'd make the NOT thing an option of a regular Smart Inserter... like a Checkbox saying "NOT" and when ticking it then the inserter takes everything except the 1-5 items specified in the filter. Adding a Red Cross above the item icons would be sufficient enough to tell from a far that this thing is working in inverted mode.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Smart Inserter with ā€œNOTā€ function

Post by TheSAguy »

Sometimes I need to use Smart Inserters to ā€˜Cleanā€™ some of my belts from stuff that get on it. Mostly Bitter Corpses, from DyTech and Bobā€™s.

So with my current setup, I need to place a bunch of smart inserters and have to give them all the possible options:

I was hoping to get a ā€œNOTā€ function, so I can tell the Smart Inserters to take anything off the but certain items:

In my example my belts will be cleaned from anything not ammo.

Thanks.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Smart Inserter with ā€œNOTā€ function

Post by daniel34 »

Already discussed in these threads:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 33&t=12206
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=76&t=974

I would like having that option, but in my opinion there shouldn't just be one checkbox that inverts the selection, but instead two radio buttons (or as workaround checkboxes) labeled like "only" (the default setting) and "everything except" and the player has to pick one, so the intended purpose is clear and easier for new players to understand.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Wyrm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Inverse filter setting (Is not filter, take all except...)

Post by Wyrm »

We need, if not a blacklist filter inserter in the default game, at least a hook into the inserter prototype to mod one. I've checked some inserter mods as well as the prototype definition. There's no way to invert the sense of the filter from a regular whitelist (as it is now) to a blacklist.

And I absolutely differ with Khyron. Factorio is not a puzzle game ā€” it's an engineering game. In engineering, you have to make tradeoffs. Yes, you could place your miners such that the ore lines never get contaminated with other products, but at the cost of decreased density of miners and as such lower ore production rates. Or you could spam the ore field with miners and get a large production rate at the cost of a contaminated ore line. That's the tradeoff: production speed/product purity. It's not something that is "solved" like a puzzle; it's a choice you're making between speed of ore production and the purity of the ore line. You cannot say that either solution is really correct. (Also, some mods have ores that produce different products by default ā€” there's no way to mine the patch and not get a contaminated line. They absolutely need blacklisting filter inserters, but there's no way to even program them.)

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Negative Smart Filter

Post by DOSorDIE »

What we really need is a Negative Smart Filter
The same like a normal Smart Filter but when i Filter iron it takes all except iron.

Please Devs make this :roll:

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Already suggested. :)

JĆ¼rgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JĆ¼rgen Erhard »

So, since it's supposed to be possible and I'm just too dumb, anyone got a recipe for an inverted filter?

IVā€‚
Inserter
Inserter

Post by IVā€‚ »

Spoiler alert for those who want to do it by themselves. I've posted it here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35198 a while ago.

nyspace1
Inserter
Inserter

reverse filter inserter

Post by nyspace1 »

Merged --daniel34

I thought about it and I would like there to be a reverse filter inserter option that can be applied to a filter inserter in the game. What I mean is the inserter will pick up everything that is not what the filter on the inserter is targeting.

Return to ā€œImplemented Suggestionsā€