Female Character

These are only lists of links to other suggestions!
First, do a search for if your idea has been already suggested.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Pinkishu
Inserter
Inserter

Female Character

Post by Pinkishu »

Hi~

Well it doesn't matter so much right now as I find the character to be atleast somewhat gender-neutral. But if you ever add voices or such (like a sound the character makes when they get hurt) (i haven't heard any like that in the demo atleast)
I'd like to see the option to have the character be female, so as in having a female voice. I'm not sure how easily that is integratable with the story and possible artworks though, so just an idea as I like customizable characters in games, even if its just gender~

(Just want to say that I'm not demanding that or such, just something I noticed and wondered how the chances are that is needed or will be added at some point in the future)

N00byEdge
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Female Character

Post by N00byEdge »

Would seem neat, but I think that they are going for a gender-neutral character. We'll just have to wait and see for full release! :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Necroing.

And I think a good one. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

The FFF40 thread has a lot of discussion about female character / the gender of the sprite. It starts pretty early - https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 590#p34581

TurkleTrenox
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TurkleTrenox »

man a machine its easy to animate than a human, take five minutes of gameplay to watch deeply aliens and human animation, vehicles included

EDIT: i was watching some female walking idles and realize that would be hard to animate hips

Ida-Marie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ida-Marie »

I would love to use a female character as my factorian! <3

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

The running is not androgynous though, because it runs just like Jerry Seinfeld "getting his knees up", so if there's a female character, she should run like Elaine Benes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mlc4-luWU8

applebaps
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by applebaps »

Necroing to say I would also like this. The player model is sort of androgynous, which is fine. But it would be nice to have the choice to have my in-game avatar reflect myself, and it would be a relatively small thing to develop.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Can't this be modded? The image used for the player changes based on the armor worn, so... mod in an armor set with a female avatar, problem solved, right?

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

Maybe a couple different avatars to choose from? Beefy, medium, tall, small, fat, times by female neutral and male?

Alternate (and 15x cheaper) solution - just make the player avatar look like a cute WALL-E style robot or a bug-hating alien or something. :)

Zarylo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zarylo »

My (former) girlfriend wanted a princess skin.
I told her that ain't happening. :mrgreen:

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I've seen this on the mod portal : https://mods.factorio.com/mods/aspd199/artsGirlClothing
Haven't had the opportunity to test it though.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Zarylo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zarylo »

Koub wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:21 am
I've seen this on the mod portal : https://mods.factorio.com/mods/aspd199/artsGirlClothing
Well I stand corrected.
Thank you Koub, this is kinda cool.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Zarylo wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:07 pm
Koub wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:21 am
Well I stand corrected.
Thank you Koub, this is kinda cool.
What? A princess, but no dragon?! If there ever was any real reason for the existence of princesses, it was to provide food for dragons: either by luring heroes to his lair, or as a tasty snack herself. As the poet wrote: "Virgin's meat, white, cut in slices, that's a real dragon treat …"
(Actually, being a German he wrote: "Jungfraunfleisch in weißen Scheiben, das ist Drachen-Marzipan".)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Foralei
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Foralei »

ssilk wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:27 am
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/GirlCharacter
I do use this mod, and very much appreciate it, however I am chiming into this older thread to put in my personal appeal for this feature in-game, instead of creating a new thread, as requested in the forum rules.

I find it helpful for my immersion to play a character that matches my in-person sex. It's pretty clear that the current player character is a man, especially the way that he runs. I want to play Factorio as a female, without modding it. Because of this singular female character mod, all my gameplay will not allow me to earn any achievements in Steam.

Can Factorio please add a sex option in-game? It shouldn't be too hard as it's a simple running animation. Edit: I understand it's not just one simple animation. I mean that it shouldn't be as horrendous of an addition as if there were multiple scripted cutscenes like in some other games.

I am very grateful for games that give myself and others this option.
Last edited by Foralei on Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Theoretically +1 for the Idea as such, but...
Foralei wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:43 pm
It shouldn't be too hard as it's a simple running animation.
Couldn't be farther from the truth. Animation is never simple. Ever heared of motion capturing? They do that because manually creating nice looking animations is very difficult/expensive/time-consuming. And the factorio character is one of the most heavily animated things in the game, with different animations for running, mining, shooting, running-while-shooting or even just standing still. Each multiplied by 3 different types of armor.

So I'd personally be satisfied if at least modding it was properly supported.
For completition here's a related modding interface request: 92112
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

Foralei wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:43 pm
Can Factorio please add a sex option in-game? It shouldn't be too hard as it's a simple running animation.

I am very grateful for games that give myself and others this option.
As eradicator said, it's a LOT more than that. There has to be an animation sheet for idling, mining, and running. Each of these sheets has 3-4 additional sheets to support the masks (used to color the player) and the shadows. Idling and running has another set of sheets for if the character is holding a gun, so double those. And there is actually a completely different set for wearing no/low, mid, and top level armor, so triple all those.

You'd also need to update the corpses, though that's relatively easy.

Then double all that again since you need a normal and HR version. Factorio\data\base\graphics\entity\character\ has 128 items/45MB in it just to support the character entity.

Now, Wube has talked before about all the tools they made that let them automate making sheets from their 3d models, but it can't automate everything and it's still a lot of work, and and they'd still need to make the 3 models to support the armor level variations.

I'd like to see a built in option for it, but it's not simple at all.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think there should be mods, eventually with cryptic signatures, to allow to install “official extensions mods” without loosing achievements. The female character mod would be one of my first candidates.

Much more could be said about handling this “correctly”, but for me correctness is political and has nothing to do with suggestions.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

ssilk wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:13 am
I think there should be mods, eventually with cryptic signatures, to allow to install “official extensions mods” without loosing achievements.
Maybe the "non-game changing" section. There could be specific criteria such as 'no new recipes' & similar.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Return to “Frequently Suggested / Link Collections”