Screenshot functionality

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Heinrich
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Screenshot functionality

Post by Heinrich »

It would be great if you guys implement some screenshot key, together with the option to turn off/on the UI.

Blü
Inserter
Inserter

screenshot button

Post by Blü »

Joined -- ssilk

the title is self-explanatory, I want a screenshot button so that if you press for exemple f5 it take a screenshot and place it in a screenshot folder

simple ;)

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: screenshot button

Post by FreeER »

what's wrong with the printscreen button on your keyboard? If you don't know you have it then it may be labeled prt sc (as it is on my laptop) or some other variation. admittedly you'd have to switch over to a photoeditor paste and then save it but...

Also with print screen if you hold alt down then press print screen it will only capture the active window, not the full screen :)
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

Mysteria9
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mysteria9 »

Sure, but having the screenshots saved automatically is much nicer.
I use fraps for that, by the way.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

FreeER wrote:what's wrong with the printscreen button on your keyboard? If you don't know you have it then it may be labeled prt sc (as it is on my laptop) or some other variation. admittedly you'd have to switch over to a photoeditor paste and then save it but...

Also with print screen if you hold alt down then press print screen it will only capture the active window, not the full screen :)
I actually don't have it. They hid it under Fn+insert. Useless.
There is an advantage of the builtin minecraft screenshot hotkey. It allow you to make the screenshot quickly and rename / sort them later.
And if you are documenting a process, you might need a row of screenshots. The MC way of numbering them with date+time is really handy.

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Balinor »

Yeah a screenshot binding would be good especially if it then saves out as jpg. This will also be good for when Factorio is being put onto steam as you can tie it into the workshop then for uploading of screenshots at the end of a game session. Great function.

Blü
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blü »

FreeER wrote:what's wrong with the printscreen button on your keyboard? If you don't know you have it then it may be labeled prt sc (as it is on my laptop) or some other variation. admittedly you'd have to switch over to a photoeditor paste and then save it but...

I know about it but you need to paste using paint.net or other programs and with this you'll just need to press a button and it's save ;)

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Good point(s).
I rarely take screen shots so it doesn't bother me :D
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

Having ingame implemented screenshot capability can be quite useful becouse this way you can actually take screenshot without and ingame UI which isn't posible when using default PrintScreen functionality.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Making screenshots

Post by ssilk »

Joined -- ssilk

Yesterday, when I made some screenshots for the wiki I thought: to make the wiki nicer we (forum/wiki users) should update all pics to the new style, introduced with 0.8. And then I thought: god is this cumbersome.

So many pictures... And I could do it in different zoom level and with different cut.

Then I thought: ok, what if I rebuild all the examples into an own map and then making screenshots. And the next time, when the layout changes, new graphics or so, I just load this map and redo the screenshots. Yeah! But so many pics and how can I then be sure, that I uploaded it correctly?

Then I thought: ok, what if the game makes the shots? I load the map and walk from "scene" to scene and besides every scene is a button which starts the scene, waits some time (until all is set up) and then makes a screenshot, even if I'm walking around to another scene and the pic isn't in my view anymore.

So this is my suggestion: a lua-command, which saves a screenshot (or video?) of a defined area of the current map (including minimap etc. or not) into a defined file, so that it can be used to transfer it to the wiki.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Making screenshots

Post by slpwnd »

ssilk wrote:So this is my suggestion: a lua-command, which saves a screenshot (or video?) of a defined area of the current map (including minimap etc. or not) into a defined file, so that it can be used to transfer it to the wiki.
Good idea, relatively easy to do, putting it into our backlog.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Making screenshots

Post by ssilk »

Nice. :)
Recommend also adding placeholders in the file names for
- game version
- date
- time

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

screenshots

Post by Smarty »

Joined -- ssilk

maybe a button like F12 to make ingame screenshots or video's

Screenshot idea might a good idea now
the video idea maybe able when the game is released.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: screenshots

Post by ssilk »

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: screenshots

Post by Smarty »

ohh thanks mate :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Screenshot functionality

Post by ssilk »

Necroing. :)

There is some basic functionality (see for example Factorio Maps: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=5812 ), but the forum cannot say, it's finished yet.

Akzeptace criterias:
- The path for screenshots can be choosen. (Also aceptable: Each mod has an user-configurable directory, where it is allowed to write, not only the mod-directory)
- turning off User-interface (buttons, windows ...), or the character itself

Optional:
Flash: Switch for a short moment to day :)
Switch to God mode: Is of course possible but should be integrated for this function (see also https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 676#p78676 )
Marking multiple entities, with info on screen
Optional Info about the game (player, date, played hours, map exchange string, created res, throughput….) at the bottom/head
Add graphical effects, like sharpening, blurring, enhance contours, b/w, saturate, etc... Very optional. :)
Default zooms, overzooming (should of course not reveal fog of war)

Also playing a role:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=6&t=153 Option to scale up/down the GUI - Size of the GUI
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=1431 Map Picture Capture at Time of Death

Arucard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Arucard »

This sounds cool and all, and seems to fall in place with the game's theme, but I would much prefer the option of a simple "press key, take screenshot". I assume most players are very technical/mechanical oriented, but I am not. I like playing with the idea in games like these, but I'm not what you would call "good" at it, please keep the less tech-head fans in mind too, thanks!

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Something similar to big screenshot functionality of OpenTTD would be useful.
It would make showing the nice big bases much easier.
It's basic a screenshot thats done with area much bigger then you see on screen.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”