Oil collection - train or pipe?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Oil collection - train or pipe?

Post by MeduSalem »

thirstyhirsty14 wrote:Thanks to everyone. I think the problem im having is that the oil deposits i am drilling are (for some reason) realllyy poor quality :(
Over time they reduce to 10%... It's normal behavior. There's nothing one can do about it other than hooking about more Oil Wells as well as putting Speed Modules inside each Pumpjack so the flow rate is increased.

Pontiac
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pontiac »

I've not played a map that goes thousands of blocks away (Meaning 4, 5, or 6) but I have played several larger maps to get to that lucrative oil field.

I find trains to be awesome at getting the ores, but, for oil cans specifically, I use drones and hook up the drone facilities along the way. Expensive, hell yes but not really a concern as I'm usually well situation with resources by that time. Worth while? Oh hell, absolutely.

For the fields that are a long distance away, and after I started procuring oil via pipeline more locally, what I do is at home base, I setup my oil refinery setup so that a factory is hooked up to the logistics network having a requester chest asking for say about 50 full barrels of oil. The factory empties the barrel if it can, then puts it into a passive provider chest. Collection mechanism done. I'll always have a buffer of oil to be dumped into the storage tanks. After a point, I'll even convert my close by oil field to work with the drone system as well.

Still at the base, I have a lone factory making empty barrels, but with a smart inserter, I limit it to allowing for a single empty barrel to be in the network. This way an empty barrel is ALWAYS available. Obviously this lone barrel goes into a passive provider chest.

I have the drone ports auto-manufactured, so I have my character carry, say, 10 drone ports at any time (Or more if I go the distance in a new direction), a few solar panels and that energy collector (can't think of the name right now), or, some basic and far reaching electrical poles (Tier 1 and tier 3 poles). When I find a new oil field, I build drone ports in a line as directly as I reasonably can at my base where the above oil collection system is. Routing done.

I then lay down all the oil rigs needed, and hook up a factory to take the oil and convert it to filled barrels. I lay down a passive provider chest, a requester chest (Setup for say, 10 empty barrels), a couple of inserters (Yellow or blue -- Speed isn't a concern at this end), and I'm done. I BP the factory and chests, and the next time I'm running around for a new patch of oil, I just need to lay down the rigs, pipe them somewhere, lay down the BP, and then the drones come and build the factory for me, if I want to be THAT lazy.

Since the base is setup to automatically make sure I have exactly one empty barrel in the system, if there are multiple provider chests out there already with empty barrels, the drones will go collect those empties and bring them to the new factory. No resource use other than electricity. If I don't happen to have any extra empties in the outlying oil fields, the drones will pick off the empty barrels, one by one, from the main base.

After about 2 or 3 oil fields, my factory is WELL FED with full oil barrels. I don't have to worry about laying down tracks, diverting, setting up train stations, getting run over by a train, worrying about scheduling, or anything of the sort. My system automatically balances itself out. Now with drones not getting destroyed because they run out of energy, even better, it'll just take time to get the drones back to base, although I try to make sure the path my drones would take are near the drone ports.

The other thing about the drones is that they're used when needed, and not always running on this particular task. With a train, you're going to be putting a certain amount of fuel into a train travel between points, no mater what, and no matter if there is any oil at the other end to make the coal use worth while. With the drones, you pay for what you use. If you, for whatever reason, stop using oil reserves, oil use stops, the drones don't need to go pick up oil, no energy used. Since oil fields always 'trickle charge' the network, a drone may end up going to the oil field once every 15 minutes. How many times have you sent that train back and forth to collect one barrel, and how much coal (Or whatever other resource) did you use?

The other thing with drones is that if you have thousands (Like I tend to get up to -- I love them little things) having one or two wander off to go pick up a full barrel on the other side of the map once in a blue moon isn't going to affect your operations in ANY way, shape, or form. If you end up needing a full barrel at home, and a barrel closer to home show up, and a second drone is available, it'll go pick up the barrel while that first drone is still on its way.

So for me dealing with oil, [Drones] > [Pipes] > [Trains].

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

quite true. It is not efficient for a train to exclusively route to an oil field. Pipes/pumps would be the best choice here. However, if you have train tracks in place for other stops, and there is an oil field nearby or along the way, it certainly doesn't hurt to add one more short stop with an extra wagon. Shuttles are not efficient, and big trains are definitely more fun.

Return to “General discussion”