Mod portal/repository operated by Factorio dev team

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mod portal/repository operated by Factorio dev team

Post by Koub »

This idea/suggestion is not directly game related, but remains closely linked to the game.
As a few examples will be more helpful than a wall of text, I imagine something like the Nexus mods or the Steam Workshop, but implemented and operated by Factorio dev team.

I imagine some place with a search engine where modders could publish their work, a few categories to make browsing easier, and fully integrated to the game's current mod manager.

While searching, I have found two attempts to "centralize" information about mods :
a player that offered to host a Mod repository : https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =34&t=7635
The wiki mod list I found linked in this post : https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=7526

Both of them seem bound to fail in my opinion, because they need people who are not directly concerned to keep information up-to-date. Moreover, a forum does not have the optimal structure for a huge mod base. It's okay for a few mods, but past one point, it becomes really messy.

I see two possibilities : wait for Steam, and rely on Steam Workshop, or host a proprietary mod repository.
  1. Steam Workshop would allow to have a working solution with little to no investment. It exists, it works, people use it. BUT (and this is a big but ;)) it will be a major problem for all non-steam using Factorio players, and I feel there are many people who are not on Steam.
  2. A repository owned and operated by Wube software would have the exact opposite advantages and disadvantages : it needs investment, in time and money to set-up and to run, but it would guarantee all Factorio players to have access to it. Moreover, I'm sure that some community-fans would be happy to help keeping things tidy like this forum's moderated by passionate fans, just because this game deserves it.
[Edit] : conclusion missing : It is obvious I prefer the 2nd option, as I feel it would serve the game and its community a lot better.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Mod portal/repository operated by Factorio dev team

Post by ssilk »

I have some ideas about this.
Some month ago I thought it goes into this direction: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ods#p73913
But I currently think the community is growing much faster, we just need a platform for that.

My list of ideas about this:
- I don't see a big difference between Maps/Scenarios, Map-Seeds, Mods, Mod-collectons and Blueprints. They are all just mods. But well, there needs to be categories.
- A mod-collection is a mod, that has the dependencies to all other mods and Factorio will download it.
- In-Game download needed?
- estimated needs: ask the community, what they need?
- scan the control files of mods, automatic display the difference s to the basic game, show obvious errors
- What should be stored?
---- Versions/History
---- Files (Downloads)
---- Patches (also from others!)
---- Pics/Videos from ingame; some space for the modder to "present" his mod (see https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/radical-piano/ )
---- Signing? Validity?
---- Useful Tagging (not more than apple store :) ), low- and high-prio-tagging
---- rate mods
---- discuss mods (I won't change that part much, like yet)
---- error-reports
---- Sharing of Graphics/Code?
---- Copyrights?
---- Payment?
---- automated tests?

Some concrete ideas:
- Not like apple-store! more like https://shop.propellerheads.se/browse/? ... ns-refills - https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/radical-piano/
- A mimimal first version includes:
--- Search for mods with any browser on a plattform (not in-game)
--- Input of URL, Factorio will download, check and install
--- See, if there is an update/patch to a mod.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

joon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by joon »

I like the idea very much, especially where it could search for updates for the mods and/or download which version of Factorio or other mods it's playable with.

Now I don't bother trying most mods because they are not up to date for the latest version, like I was always using the latest experimental version so I could report bugs while playing.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Doh I missed the topic on the tags.
I agree about the fact that there is a lot in common between mods, maps, scenarios, and blueprints, and I agree that they should be offered the same platform to be shared, as long as it's categorized, and the integrated search engine allows to fully filter regarding each type of category.

If you give a look at Nexus mods platform I have linked earlier, or at ESOUI, which I have also used a lot when I played TESO, they are perfect examples of what I feel Factorio needs. Well maybe not to that scale : even if I love Factorio, and wish it will meet extraordinary success, I'm not sure it will reach an Elder Scrolls audience.

The must-have is :
- a list of categories you have already enumerated : Maps, Mods, Blueprints, Scenarios
- for the mods, a set of subcategories, or even better, a tag list, that would allow the players to filter the mods they browse by type (typically : cosmetic, game balance, combat, new content, ...)
- versionning for the mods (with possibility to download older versions)
- Factorio version compatibility
- a way to upload screenshots / vids
- A "feedback" page that would basically behave like a forum topic, and where mod users and mod creators would exchange informations.
- a historization of how many downloads, how many views, the last month and overall
- Mod rating
- Prerequisites management (like "if you want this mod, tou also need that other mod")

I think payment is a delicate subject (as Steam has experienced lately), but any modder may add a "donation" link in his mod's description.

What would be Über cool (but über complicated maybe) :
- Automatic detection of mod conflicts
- Automatic detection of loss of compatibility when game evolves (like every aspect that changes from one version of Factorio to another, and that is used in the mod tags the mod as obsolete until the mod is re-validated by its uploader).

What I don't feel able to discuss : Copyright, licencing, and things like that. I have a true lack of knowledge, and skill on this topic. But I'm sure there are other people here that can enlighten the discussion with their insight.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I'd like for the game client to be able to download and install mods while it's running. Or at least when linking up to a multiplayer game, the game client should offer the opportunity to automatically download and install (and enable!) the mods that are run by the computer hosting/initiating the game.

Especially given how small most mods are. I mean, my frame of reference isn't giga-mods like DyTech. Of the six or eight mods I've installed or otherwise tried out, most are well under 1.5 MB in size, and the exception is around 3.5 MB.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The size is not the problem. The reload is: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=9584

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Kovarex already said that this will be in future (distant future maybe) and will not be using Steam Workshop. Possibly creating a new repository or using a ready to use one. If you allow me to suggest something, use this: https://github.com/KerbalStuff/KerbalStuff

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CreeperDaReeper »

I guess I'll throw my own suggestion into the mix then. I think the way Starbound handles mods would be usefull.

Starbound Mods

Also of note, after clicking on any mod, scroll to the bottom of its Overview tab. Just above the 'Rate this Resource' bar, Mod Pack and Mod Assets permissions display.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I think if they're going to have their own mod depository, then it should be accessable inside the game itself, Like it is in OpenTTD now.

Open the mods menu, click a search for new mods button, it lists all mods in the depository, which can be filtered. Pick a mod, click install, it downloads it to the right place, BAM, when you're done, the game reloads with the new mods.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Tags: Mod-database, workspace, modding-portal

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Moved to mod-portal (leaving a link in suggestions).

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”