More types of module for Modular/Power Armor

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

More types of module for Modular/Power Armor

Post by Peter34 »

I have two ideas for additional modules to be fitted into the 5x5, 7x7 and 10x10 grids of Modular Armor and Power Armor.

The first is a Stealth Module, consuming electricity when installed, but making you less visible to the alien senses, so that their detection range for you is lowered. Assuming it begins at 20 tiles, the first 3 Stealth Modules could each lower it by 2, with additional Stealth modules lowering it by 1 each, to a minimum of 4 tiles (or if attacking).

In this way, it becomes more doable to sneak up to alien bases to scout them, or even to sneak around them, or to sneak between two bases if the need for that arises. And it gives more choices with regards to what to put into the Armors, whereas currently it's fairly predictable: Some Movement, some Shield, and enough to power both. There are almost no real choices.

(Note also that the Stealth Module would synergize very, very well with some kind of Sniper Rifle or Multi-Barrel Mortar, if such weapons are added to the game. Or a Forward Observer system based on laser painting ground area target for Artillery or Missile Strikes.)

The other is a Jump Jet Module, that sucks in atmospheric air and heats it, enabling the player character to jump forward, when a new key is pressed. With one Module, you can jump 3 tiles forward, even over obstables, and very fast. With two modules, it's 5 tiles, with three it's 6. With four modules, there's no change, but if you really, really want to max your jump range you can fit a total of five modules to get a jump range of 7 tiles. After each such jump, the module must have a cool-down period, which can probably be handled simply by it slowly recharging its internal capacitors from whatever electricity supply is available in the armour. But if not I propose 15 seconds.

Like with the Stealth Module, this is about giving choice, supporting a variety of playstyles, and avoiding the predictability of armour fitting that make alpha 11 end game so boring.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: More types of module for Modular/Power Armor

Post by Koub »

I love the idea of stealth module, with the bonus suggestion of the sniper rifle. However, with the WTFesque respawn rate of the biters, a sniper rifle would be totally useless.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Koub wrote:I love the idea of stealth module, with the bonus suggestion of the sniper rifle. However, with the WTFesque respawn rate of the biters, a sniper rifle would be totally useless.
One of mods adds sniper rifle - and you are right it's not that useful. Main use is to shot at buildings from afar standing near turret blob.

Alekthefirst
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alekthefirst »

Koub wrote:I love the idea of stealth module, with the bonus suggestion of the sniper rifle. However, with the WTFesque respawn rate of the biters, a sniper rifle would be totally useless.
How about a silenced sniper rifle that doesn't attract other biters of you kill one with it? Certainly would add to the stealth modules...
Factorio is a game about automating everything. One day, i hope i can automate shitty signatures just like this one.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

The stealth module could be useful
The Jumpjets... although might have a use, isn't really that easy to implement in a game that is technically 2D.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Alekthefirst wrote:How about a silenced sniper rifle that doesn't attract other biters of you kill one with it? Certainly would add to the stealth modules...
Even if you OS one biter every second (which is pretty OP imho), a full base of 50-100 biters respawn in maybe 10 seconds. The biters respawn way too fast for a sniper rifle to be of any use (except maybe if you can snipe the worms and / or hives, but THAT would be totally OP)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

bobingabout wrote:The Jumpjets... although might have a use, isn't really that easy to implement in a game that is technically 2D.
No. The implementation, as describerd by me in the original post, is very easy. It simply moves the player character X tiles forward, in the direction he's facing, regardless of any obstacles in the way, as long as there is an tile he can land on. The Jump Jets aren't for flying. As described in my original post, they're for jumping over obstacles such as walls or Nests or rows of Steam Engines. Thus in no way is a 3rd dimension introduced to the game.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”