Just bought the game; What were Your first impressions?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Twelvefield
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Just bought the game; What were Your first impressions?

Post by Twelvefield »

My first impressions were Rich Little. Nobody realized what I was doing, so I tried Andre-Philippe Gagnon. After that experience, I don't do impressions any more. I have no idea why anybody would want to know that, though.

I got talked into purchasing (no wait, /Rich Little Voice:ON) ... talked into purchasing Factorio by Cougarific, whose understanding of gaming goodness has no bounds I can detect. He recommended Factorio because he knew I really like SpaceChem, which I consider one of the smartest games ever made. Factorio compares very favourably to SpaceChem. There is more space than SpaceChem, which is nice, and lots to see and do. The new artwork looks exciting!

My main beef is with the UI. I don't like keyboard shortcuts for things that could just as easily be clicked or touched. For example, the big red X in the inventory seems misplaced and unintuitive, about as much as having to use the keyboard to open and shut popup screens. There's more than enough to bend one's mind in Factorio without having to bend it farther by memorizing keys. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

Even so, Factorio looks like it's a hell of a good purchase so far. Just like the famous actor/politician/actor said (/Arnie Voice:ON) "I'll Be Back!"

Oh Cully-fornya! I've nested my voice flags by mistake.

(/Arnie Voice:OFF)

(/Rich Little Voice:OFF)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

You're pretty numerous in your head, you and your inner voices. :)
Just by curiosity, what big red "X" are you talking about ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The big red X in the chests and wagons, to limit the stacksize. Also known as stacksize limitation.
I'm near to give him right, cause many miss this button. But I have not really a better idea.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Hoooooo the button I accidentally noticed on my third map, after 120-ish hours of total Factorio gameplay (and only noticed it because I saw someone use it during a let's play video on Youtube). Ok I see which one :mrgreen: (true story)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Twelvefield
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Twelvefield »

I did figure that button on my own, after a little experimentation. I haven't yet run into a situation where I needed to limit the resource container, and even if i do, it would be rare that I would use that control. Yet the button is there any time that window is open, it's obvious, and its icon resembles the close window icon.

I would suggest something that you could click to lock off each individual box, and shift-select to lock off a series of boxes. If you are familiar with bowling, the scorecard has some little boxes inside that you could use to make a resource box available or unavailable. A green check means this box can be filled, a red / means that it cannot, and a yellow O is a Cheerio. Then you could move the big X to the top right of the window and use it as a mouseclick to close the window, which is very natural for GUI users.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think with box you mean the stacks. https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... rage/Stack

The limit is quite useful, especially in the beginning of the game, before you have smart inserters, cause you can limit with this, how much a chest can be filled.
I did not entirely understand what a yellow box should be used for, but I have doubts, that it makes sense to turn single stacks on/off.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Brainiac69
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Brainiac69 »

I watched an hour of gameplay video, which I usually do, and started wondering if the game I have been looking for since decades is finally being made
When starting the game, I found it very difficult at first, despite watching the video, not very intuitive, which is ok for me, I like it the hard way, but may scare some people away
My impressions the first 20 hours were - who needs sleep anyway?
Awesome, and very playable for an alpha - unbelievable

I thought I was doing ok, but after about 20 hours, the aliens made life impossible
I figured, I had waited too long to conquer territory, and read the aliens evolve, so it seemed a bit hopeless

So restarted a new game, in peaceful mode, this time...
I did have to watch an other video on how to figure out trains somewhere in the middle - trainsigns can make you go nuts
watched video for power armour, which was my intro into fighting - needed to advance
watched video for blueprints - very impressive video, but haven't tried it yet in my game
I'm now about 46 hours into this game

I now get the feeling I need a goal, besides inventing everything and killing aliens
Of course, this is peaceful mode, ..., I could just try restarting with active aliens

Awesome work, ..., and very curious what is in the next release
Personally hope for more kinds of resources, and lots of more different stuff to build, with complex production chains
And even better, if it were impossible to build everything, so at some point trade would be needed, or exchange
I like hopelessly complex supply chains - imagine all the bottlenecks - would be an awesome nightmare :shock:

Cougarific
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cougarific »

Brainiac69 wrote:I watched an hour of gameplay video...
I did have to watch an other video on how to figure out trains...
watched video for power armour...
watched video for blueprints...
Yah this was my approach too. Tech up 'til you hit an unfamiliar tech - Pause game - Watch Youtube vid - return to game. Rinse and repeat.

Really hoping for a more robust tutorial system in the final release. :cry:

user008
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by user008 »

I have never played a game that is as addictive as Factorio. The depth and the creativity of this game is mind blowing once you get into it. Every time I try and get away from Factorio, I find myself constantly thinking about different layouts and eventually I come back to it and there goes a few more days and nights. Incredible how a game can do this.

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

I come from minecraft, and sorry but me I love this game, because I love there is 4 sides in this game:

-PvE(farming, exploring, NPC, surviving, ect)
-Redstone mechanisms
-PvP
-Decorations

My first impression/playing of Factorio was:

-Store everything because I thought stuff would dispawn
-Ore deposite is super poor why should I drop a mining drill if it's too just mine out 10 ores?

Then I realized that full belts all over the place is actually a good sign that your factory is running well.
And something I super love and thank you thank you thank you developpers is: the super zoom out. Each time I play a 2D game now, I want to super zoom out when I replay old school games likeWarcraft II or Sonic
Last edited by Ohz on Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

threehams
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by threehams »

First thought was "ohhhh this is going to be a problem, I better clear my schedule."
Second thought was "how do I unequip the thing I'm holding?"

aRatNamedSammy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by aRatNamedSammy »

threehams wrote:First thought was "ohhhh this is going to be a problem, I better clear my schedule."
Second thought was "how do I unequip the thing I'm holding?"
hehe yes, this game is kinda addictive :lol:
Teeth for Two (so sorry my bad english)

Nobody
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nobody »

first thought: i'm going to build a million bricks
after a day: i have no idea what i am doing
after a week: i think i made a mod. yep, it's a mod.
I have no idea what I am doing

fishycat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by fishycat »

i saw a let´s play last year, then i had to buy it... immediatelly. :D

i just love the game...thx devs

madac83
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by madac83 »

A little back story on how I came about this..........hell life sucking gem of a game......tried to come up with a better way to put it but I can not. Anyways, a good friend of mine put a link to a youtube vid/series he started on Factorio. I figured I'll look it over and after 10 episoides in I knew I was in trouble......

So what my first impressions were....it was kind of like when you first grasp the true concept of Lego. Yes you can fallow what someone else has done before you, but how many other ways/things can you make out of em.....I think that sums it up pritty well.

P.S. the real moment I knew I was hooked when I looked at the clock and it was 5 am and I was going to be "woken" up sometime in the next 3 to 3 1/2 hours by my 1 year and half old son....

Serj_Rot
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Serj_Rot »

Ăăăă, my first impressions of playing this game were different than first impressions after buying the game. I first played the demo, then all night a cracked alpha version from torrents and then i studied the story of the game, and that only because it's an incredible good game (in my opinion, for my tastes).
After thinking that i understood the effort put in this game and saw pieces of the people behind the game i decided that is a game that i must buy, i must support.

I played a map for more than 70 hours until i started to read forums, wiki and other info about the game.

I found some bugs along and things to suggest for improving but found most of them mentionated already on this forum after.

And just finished the started translation for the romanian language on crowdin (And need approvels!)

And yes, my english it's not really from the books. Sorry about that, still improving.

lxl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lxl »

My first thought was "2pm". My send thought was:" 1am". :mrgreen:

Kokelvogel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kokelvogel »

Factorio feeds a couple of my compulsive behaviours: Amassing stuff (aka loot), getting tons of different stuff (*coughs* who would have guessed it ... loot), organzing and optimizing (my loot AND my loot-making facilities, yay), exploring (for more loot). So well, all right it feeds just one compulsive behaviour: LOOT :D

I am now at the stage that I understand how much I will need to learn in order to have a layout that is both pleasent to look at and efficient (according to my defintion thereof).

My household, on the other hand, is at the stage of utter chaos :P

waabm97
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by waabm97 »

Hey my name is William Myers I bought the game yesterday afternoon, So far I have got really far into my single player, and a few parts of the campaign. My girlfriend already hates it because I am on the laptop to much playing. I can't wait to see how this game comes along.

Zhall
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zhall »

The first thing I thought when I played the demo over a year ago was, wow, Tekkit works in 2D!

There's a special place in my heart for factorio, being an avid player of both Industry Giant 2 and Openttd, I have always wanted something between the two, and this is it.

Now the question is, where am I going to get this server rack of a computer to run what I have in mind?

Although, performance is very impressive so far.

Return to “General discussion”