Support - Uranium Power

Power generation with atoms.

Moderator: Fatmice

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Support - Uranium Power

Post by Fatmice »

Please post your questions or thoughts regarding this mod. Version supported is 0.5.x and 0.6.0.

Please include mod version in your post if it is about bug(s).
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Support - Uranium Power

Post by kinnom »

what is a reactor access point?
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

It is a chest where you can put fuel assemblies, which is needed to heat the liquid in the reactor.

diceman111
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by diceman111 »

the 3,7% process is missing for me in the production chain, I have 3.2 and 4.2 but not 3.7, have anyone else had this problem?

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

diceman111 wrote:the 3,7% process is missing for me in the production chain, I have 3.2 and 4.2 but not 3.7, have anyone else had this problem?
Please phrase clearly when you ask for help. What do you mean by "the 3.7% process?" Are you referring to enrichment chain or turning the fuel pellet into fuel assemblies?

Have you tried the example build? It has the entire enrichment chain built and functional.

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

and how does the heat exchanger work?
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

diceman111
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by diceman111 »

Fatmice wrote:
diceman111 wrote:the 3,7% process is missing for me in the production chain, I have 3.2 and 4.2 but not 3.7, have anyone else had this problem?
Please phrase clearly when you ask for help. What do you mean by "the 3.7% process?" Are you referring to enrichment chain or turning the fuel pellet into fuel assemblies?

Have you tried the example build? It has the entire enrichment chain built and functional.
Ah yes sorry, its the fluid production chain with the Uranium Hexafluride, I have the process for "3.2% U235 -> 3.7% U235" But then it seems to skip a step and I only have "4.2% -> 4.7%" wich is the last step so I Think Im missing the step "3.7% - 4.2%", and this is for the chemical plants only I have the pellet and fuel assembly recipies.
Any suggestions.

Also Thanks for a great mod!!!

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

diceman111 wrote: Ah yes sorry, its the fluid production chain with the Uranium Hexafluride, I have the process for "3.2% U235 -> 3.7% U235" But then it seems to skip a step and I only have "4.2% -> 4.7%" wich is the last step so I Think Im missing the step "3.7% - 4.2%", and this is for the chemical plants only I have the pellet and fuel assembly recipies.
Any suggestions.

Also Thanks for a great mod!!!
Please try the example build to see if the recipe exists and is working on your local game. If it does, I can only surmise that something gone horribly wrong with the recipes in your current game.

If it is a single player, you can try executing

Code: Select all

/c game.player.force.resetrecipes()
Last resort, if that is still not working, I need your save and mods all in a compressed file to investigate further.
kinnom wrote:and how does the heat exchanger work?
It allows you to exchange temperature non-destructively between liquids. This is useful if you want to build a close-loop system. Please see example build for demonstrations.

wanyfer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wanyfer »

So this setup is only for heating water? not producing energy itself right? u still have to use the steam engines?

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

What setup are you referring to?

wanyfer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wanyfer »

the whole mod at its current state

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Heated water is energy, so I don't know what you are trying to ask. The vanilla steam generator simply consume the liquid and in the process convert them into energy. This mod allows you to heat water in a larger capacity than vanilla is able to. In the up coming release, you will have the ability to produce much more energy than vanilla steam generator.

wanyfer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wanyfer »

you cant generate energy with something the mod itself provides only heat water that was what i was asking i thought the mod had added a building that was not the vanila steam engine for power generation and i was not seeing it i'm always looking for ways of increasing power generation and this mod seems to be what i will need in the future when its more complete

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Try Yuoki's mod if you want generators with higher capacities. Of course you will need to deal with how to get all of that water heated.

Keynote
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Keynote »

What do you think about barreling uranium hexafluoride? It could be very useful, sometimes it's too complicated with all these pipes. With barrels and logistic robots it's getting easier.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

:) Isn't complication the theme of Factorio? Besides, you can not centrifuge barrels and uranium hexafloride is a gas. Transporting gas in a barrel is not only inconvenient but also dangerous. What happen if one of those barrel happen to roll off your conveyor belt?

Keynote
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Keynote »

Well, I suppose there will be huge hole in the ground ;) But maybe you're right - it's way too risky to transport these little bombs on belts. Last night I was wondering how to solve that problem. First idea that came to my mind was to combine petroleum gas with fluorine and chlorine, witch gives us freon - CCl2F2. It can be used to liquefy UF6. I want to underline that I don't have an idea if it's less or more dangerous. And also there must be chlorine extractor, some new researches, etc.
So this idea sucks, too much programming. But from the other side, isn't complication the theme of Factorio? :)

kaldskryke
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kaldskryke »

Keynote wrote:Well, I suppose there will be huge hole in the ground ;) But maybe you're right - it's way too risky to transport these little bombs on belts. Last night I was wondering how to solve that problem. First idea that came to my mind was to combine petroleum gas with fluorine and chlorine, witch gives us freon - CCl2F2. It can be used to liquefy UF6. I want to underline that I don't have an idea if it's less or more dangerous. And also there must be chlorine extractor, some new researches, etc.
So this idea sucks, too much programming. But from the other side, isn't complication the theme of Factorio? :)
Little bombs??? Gaseous UF6 isn't ever going to detonate, it's nowhere near dense enough for a critical mass in reasonably sized barrels. Liquid UF6, on the other hand, can have a feasibly small critical mass but only if it's very highly enriched, but I don't know if it could be fast enough to explode. Given the fairly low levels of enrichment used by this mod, you're never going to have little barrel-sized baby nukes lying around :P

Remember, reactors aren't bombs. Fuel rods aren't bombs. Natural uranium is not explosive. Creating an actual nuclear explosion requires a very purposeful device with very specialized materials.

However, if a barrel of low-enriched UF6 were to rupture and release into the atmostphere, it would be a bad day indeed. Gaseous radiological hazards are very dangerous; inhalation is how alpha emitters do the most damage. Also, UF6 is much heavier than air and wouldn't dissipate quickly, for better or for worse. But what actually is the most dangerous thing about UF6 leaks is the rapid reaction with air moisture to form HF which is very toxic. If you're curious, see http://web.ead.anl.gov/uranium/faq/storage/faq21.cfm

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Uh huh. HF loves calcium. It will eat you from the inside out. Other than that it actually won't do much to metal. It is a very weak acid. Glass on the other hand will be thoroughly destroyed.

Dreadicon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dreadicon »

Hi, I am trying to get the modular heat exchangers to work (the ones you place by hand), but so far they just don't heat at all. I have them set up going opposite directions, the water is moving at a decent pace, but the water on the outside is always 15 degrees, no matter what, and the pressurized water is always 300 degrees. The only explanation I can come up with is that Bob's Logistics mod is interfering with it, but even iron pipes, which should key to vanilla pipes, have no effect. Is this mod just flat out incompatible with Bob's mods for purposes of the new exchangers?

EDIT: Just tried something, and it seems to work; I placed the exchangers LAST, as in built the pipes first, and only then did I place the exchangers. soon as I remove the pipes and re-place them, the exchangers again no longer work. Might want to add that requirement to the documentation.

Return to “Atomic Power”