[MOD 0.11.x] Ghosts From the Start

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[MOD 0.11.x] Ghosts From the Start

Post by Schmendrick »

Do you rely on ghost (blueprint) placement to help you plan your factory, and are tired of waiting until you've researched all the way down to Automated Construction? Ghosts From the Start starts you out with 1 minute of ghost lifetime (extendable to the normal 5 minutes after you've researched Automated Construction).
ghostart.jpg
ghostart.jpg (72.61 KiB) Viewed 11806 times
  • Fixed bug with starting with a map seed.
Attachments
ghosts-from-the-start_1.0.1.zip
(2.06 KiB) Downloaded 694 times
Last edited by Schmendrick on Fri May 08, 2015 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Like my mods? Check out another! Or see older, pre-0.12.0 mods.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.x] Ghosts From the Start

Post by Kane »

Great Mod.

Kazuar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kazuar »

Trying to start a new game with this mod enabled causes the game to terminate abnormally with the following message:
"Unexpected error occurred. You can help us to solve the problem by posting the contents of the log file on the Factorio forums."
I've removed all mods, and added them back one after another, and the message occurs only with this mod here enabled.
Any idea to the cause of this, or how to fix it?

EDIT: So I'm trying to write a bug report (because the message said "DO POST ON ZE FORUMZ", and I shall obey), and the "crash" only occurs if this mod is activated AND either a map exchange string OR a map seed is provided. If I just go and hit "generate" without fiddling with settings, I get a notice about "_ _ghosts-from-the-start_ _:control.lua:2" trying to access "ghosts-from-the-start" (a nil value). Interesting, yes?
[Note: I'm actually sorry if my posts come off as rude; english is not my native language, and I'm not aware of all it's nuances. Please do point out my misadoptions in tone!]

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

Just to be clear, when you remove and re-add the mod, you are also reloading Factorio, yes?

When you had all the mods activated and caused the crash, did you get the notice about control.lua line 2, or was it only the "Unexpected error" message?

Kazuar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kazuar »

Schmendrick wrote:Just to be clear, when you remove and re-add the mod, you are also reloading Factorio, yes?
If by that you mean "First, exit the game completly, THEN fiddle with the mods folder, THEN hit the desktop shortcut again", yes.
Schmendrick wrote:When you had all the mods activated and caused the crash, did you get the notice about control.lua line 2, or was it only the "Unexpected error" message?
Both, depending on steps taken! Sorry for being unclear; as I said, I was trying to make two different topics about it (with different points). To quote from my bug report, the steps to reproduce are:
1. Download & Enable the mod [...]
2. Go through the menu options 'play', then 'new game'
3a. If the map generation options are left as-is, and the button "generate" is pressed, a notice appears about the mods control.lua trying to access a "nil value"
3b. If, on the other hand, a map exchange string (from a previous save file) is provided before the button "generate" is pressed, once it becomes pressed, NO objection about "nil values" occur, and after a short moment (as if trying to generate the map first), the game presents the quoted message, and quits after confirming.
The error(s) occur with this mod being the only one loaded by the game (well, this & "base", technically), as they do when this mod is loaded amongside a few others.
The version of factorio used here is "0.11.19".

I suspect (though I cannot confirm this), from the behaviour I observed, that the "unexpected error" part stems from another issue (like a check for "nil values" being erronously skipped if a map seed is provided), with the notice about "control.lua" pointing towards the actual culprit.
[Note: I'm actually sorry if my posts come off as rude; english is not my native language, and I'm not aware of all it's nuances. Please do point out my misadoptions in tone!]

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Schmendrick wrote:Just to be clear, when you remove and re-add the mod, you are also reloading Factorio, yes?

When you had all the mods activated and caused the crash, did you get the notice about control.lua line 2, or was it only the "Unexpected error" message?
The issue comes from adjusting research in the raw control.lua. It should be put in a migration file.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Trev_lite
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Trev_lite »

i get multiple errors (not at the same time)

i have got:
__ghosts-from-the-start__/control.lua:2: attempt to index field 'ghosts-from-the-start' (a nil value)

and also:
__ghosts-from-the-start__/control.lua:3: Trying to research technology when the game isn't even initialised. (Wrong script usage)

I found a workaround for both.
For the first enable the mod and then restart Factorio, now you should get the second error.

For the second, disable the mod then start a game. You should have ghost-from-the-start tech ready to be researched for 0 science packs.

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

Fixed.

Return to “Mods”