C++ developers wanted [done]

Discussion related to promoting Factorio.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

C++ developers wanted [done]

Post by slpwnd »

Sorry for a bit of spam, but I think it is not too bad on our own forums=)

So far we had little success in finding good C++ developers to join us to work on Factorio here in Prague. If you can, please spread the word: http://www.factorio.com/job/game-developer

albatrosv13
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: C++ developers wanted

Post by albatrosv13 »

deleted
Last edited by albatrosv13 on Thu May 19, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

From my (somewhat limited) personal experience - It is very easy to find programmers, but finding *good* programmers is much harder!

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xecutor »

IMHO Possibility of remote work would increase amount of possible candidates tremendously.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

So, do you want mere programmers or did you mean software architects?

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

I think the real question is who is this half of a person?

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Piranha wrote:I think the real question is who is this half of a person?
I am=) The think is that I am spending quite a bit of time with things like support, answering emails, business stuff, talking to gfx and sound guys, etc.
dee- wrote:did you mean software architects?
We need people who will write code. Whatever they like to be called =)
sillyfly wrote:From my (somewhat limited) personal experience - It is very easy to find programmers, but finding *good* programmers is much harder!
Agreed.
albatrosv13 wrote: There are a lot of people who know C++ and i have seen you searching the person knowing C++ for quite some time. Maybe the standards are too high? Or maybe people say that they know C++, but actually don't?
Or maybe the relocation to Prague is the real issue?
It is actually the combination of things.

1. Relocation to Prague is not for everyone.
2. Many people are not on the level we require (we have an online C++ coding test as a frontline filter).
3. We do offer imho very good working compensation (not mentioning perks like working on the game, etc.). However this is relative to local standards. If someone from the "west" (Germany, Netherlands, etc.) applies for the job then it is difficult for us to compete. Because a very good salary here in Prague would be average or below over there.

albatrosv13
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by albatrosv13 »

deleted
Last edited by albatrosv13 on Thu May 19, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

I actually guess it may be exactly codility.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

slpwnd wrote:2. Many people are not on the level we require (we have an online C++ coding test as a frontline filter).
Would you mind showing that or at least a part of that, just for me to have an idea of what I'd be asked in the future (I plan working in the game industry after I graduate).

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

psorek wrote:I actually guess it may be exactly codility.
Yes.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

SHiRKiT wrote:
slpwnd wrote:2. Many people are not on the level we require (we have an online C++ coding test as a frontline filter).
Would you mind showing that or at least a part of that, just for me to have an idea of what I'd be asked in the future (I plan working in the game industry after I graduate).
We have a good reason to keep this private. The point is that into some degree the applicants are supposed to write a program for a task they haven't encountered before. Though in my opinion the difficulty is on the level of 1st year of university.

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

According to my knowledge about Codility tasks, most of them can be easily solved even by skilled high school students, so it's rather in order to exclude people with next to no programming skills than to choose good developers.

albatrosv13
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by albatrosv13 »

deleted
Last edited by albatrosv13 on Thu May 19, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think the point is HOW you solve the tasks.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

psorek wrote:According to my knowledge about Codility tasks, most of them can be easily solved even by skilled high school students, so it's rather in order to exclude people with next to no programming skills than to choose good developers.
Yes. As I said the test can be solved by a 1st year uni student.

Imho it is almost impossible to learn about someone's programming skills based on some kind of the test. One approach is to look at the persons' past projects. Next step might be to ask the person to work with you and see how he does, if he / she fits if he / she likes the team, etc.

So the test is basically a preliminary sieve.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Cool I've done some of those tests with ease. Although I have my efforts in C# right now since I've been playing with Unity. I've yet to properly learn C++

Twisted_Code
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Twisted_Code »

SHiRKiT wrote:
My sentiments (almost) exactly. I plan on working in some computer science/programming position, and will probably be developing games on the side if not as a focus. I'm considering Information Security... but I've still got high school to finish yet. At any rate, it would be nice to have a rough idea on the expectations stated above.
How to report bugs effectively (archived version)because everyone should know this.
The game's tech tree, a visual reference guide.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Xecutor wrote:IMHO Possibility of remote work would increase amount of possible candidates tremendously.
I know they're already found the programmer they need, but the problem with remote work is that the Factorio guys are based in Eastern Europe, and therefore are able and willing - and inclined - to pay a salary that's suitable for the cost-of-living in Eastern Europe, and so it'd be far too low for a programmer remote working from somewhere in Western Europe, the USA or Japan, or Australia/NZ.

Return to “Spread the Word”