Taglike icon in mod section

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Taglike icon in mod section

Post by StanFear »

hy !

just a quick suggestion for the mod part of the forum,
since there is a section for mods posting, I think it would be cool to have the forum telling quickly the version of factorio needed for the mod to work, or if the mod is mp compatible, something like a tag that would apear in the topics list, or something like on the minecraft forum ->
exemple of taglike.PNG
exemple of taglike.PNG (6.72 KiB) Viewed 9388 times

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Taglike icon in mod section

Post by ssilk »

Hm. Most modders do that already. When I look into the list there seems to be using a "standard" for the game version in edgy brackets in the topic-title. So there is no change needed.

Or what do you mean?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

I meant something integrated in the forum, that would really stand out, and that we could sort on or filter
and providing something like that would push people to show wether their mods are mp or sp

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, I think the current state is just provisional.

Last summer in Prague I talked a lot about that with splwnd. The plan must be of course to have a plattform for the mods, where a modowner can upload and others can download it. Preferably integrated into Factorio and automatically downloading all dependencies. A modpack would then be just a mod.json-file, which defines all dependencies and the rest is autodownloaded.
Anywhere there the future lays. It's definitely not in the forum. :)
I would prefer - as a intermediate provisional state - to look into the wiki: https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mods

More and more modders begin to make entries here. I think that is the better way, cause you can sort the wiki-generated tables by version etc.
It's a mass of work to keep that uptodate, so the next logical step is, that all modders use parseable descriptions of their mod-articles. (Hint: make your mod-head-articles, my mod-owners! that will help a lot! :) )

To make it short:

1. We should use the wiki, to bring the most mods into a table-form.
2. The list should be generated by an automated script, which reads the forum-head-articles for each mod.
3. The end-target is then to use this parser to create a database, which can be used to pre-fill the first version of an integrated modding plattform for Factorio.

Or in other word: I don't see the benefit to fix a broken state. A forum is not thought for that job, it would need much manual intervention to make and keep that functional. Or to say it differently: Instead of repairing a provisional solution I prefer a better plan, which will bring us in the end a much better gameplay.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “This Forum”