Filtering a slot in an inventory?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Filtering a slot in an inventory?

Post by bigyihsuan »

Does filtering a specific slot in an inventory work at all?

I know filtering the player inventory makes a message that says that if we want it, the devs will put player inventory filters, but I haven't found any way to filter a slot in a chest/cargo wagon.

logris
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Filtering a slot in an inventory?

Post by logris »

The default binding for filtering is to middle click (click with mouse wheel) on the slot.
This then opens a window to choose which item for the filter.
As far as I know, this only works on the toolbar, and train wagon slots.

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by bigyihsuan »

logris wrote:The default binding for filtering is to middle click (click with mouse wheel) on the slot.
This then opens a window to choose which item for the filter.
As far as I know, this only works on the toolbar, and train wagon slots.
Train wagon slots?

Ah, dang it. I though it could be in chests, too.

InflatableBeerTent
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by InflatableBeerTent »

I feel like this would be a good feature for a smart chest. Filtering item slots so inserters will know what items to input.

But then again, we already have smart inserters. It's a bit redundant now, is it?

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

It isn't, smart inserters are used with logistic network and its conditions. They "know" about summaric value in multiple chests and that's why they are useful.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

I'd love to be able to set filters for chests.

A relatively common scenario I have is that I have two different assemblers feeding different items into a single chest (e.g splitters and underground belts). I never want more than one stack of each. Currently I just limit the automation-usage of the chest to 2 slots and hope there are always at least one item of each type in it. I'm sure it can be achieved with smart inserters, cables and other trickery too but it's not as convenient. Limiting item amount by the amount of those items in logistics network isn't too good for the items I want to be made for my player to have in inventory and quite often I don't want to waste character logistics slots for making sure I have those items.

I mean we already have filters on wagons, why not have it on other containers? Sure, limit it to smart chests and better but I can't see a reason why not to have it.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

hoho wrote:I'd love to be able to set filters for chests.

A relatively common scenario I have is that I have two different assemblers feeding different items into a single chest (e.g splitters and underground belts). I never want more than one stack of each. Currently I just limit the automation-usage of the chest to 2 slots and hope there are always at least one item of each type in it. I'm sure it can be achieved with smart inserters, cables and other trickery too but it's not as convenient.
While I, too, think that filters in smart chests would be a good addition, I like to explain how a solution with circuit logic would work.
I think this is the first usage you find for smart inserters, a smart chest and colored wires in the game. And it's pretty simple: put down the smart chest and smart inserter as you would do with normal parts, then connect with a red (or green) wire the inserter and the chest. Now the wire transmits the exact content of the chest over the red wire (which is only connected to that inserter). Now same as you would do in a logistic network: click on the inserter inserter and tell it to only work if there is less than X of the wanted product, but use the wire condition instead of the logistic network condition. Done.
You could expand the wire and connect it to other inserters / chests for more complex setups, but this is one of the most basic uses.

Iccor56
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Iccor56 »

what i am looking for is a way to blueprint or otherwise save the filter setup in a train wagon like you can save a requester chest setup. is there anyway to do this?

Return to “Gameplay Help”