Friday Facts #77 - Theme art ahead

Regular reports on Factorio development.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #77 - Theme art ahead

Post by slpwnd »

news from a very relaxed Factorio Prague office: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-77

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #77 - Theme art ahead

Post by Kane »

Looking Forward to it!

nfcc08
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nfcc08 »

Cant' wait! Looks great.

The artwork leon has posted on the linked website looked right up Factorio alley! Can't wait to see that too! :D

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

Here am I, realizing over the past few sessions on different factories and mod setups, how brilliant and demanding some of those numbers and ratios in the game seem to work together. When you get the basics and start building more advanced and efficient, there's a whole new level to master. It's even like the game teaches you step by step how to solve different problems and bottlenecks. The tasks get more complex at every step. Like: "Oh, now you need two inserters / a fast one if you want to have efficient throughput", or "No no no, you need 1.5 copper wire factories to go for full circuit production. Now, how do you handle that?" I was impressed of how much thought went into that, because if you start looking at most numbers, the right ratios are pretty obvious in most cases.

...at least that was what I was thinking. Then I saw Wubes own circuit factory in the screenshot. L2P noobs :mrgreen:

Jokes aside, I think it's great you guys started to build a big one for yourself :D Please go ahead and post updates of your factory if it keeps evolving. Would be very interesting :) Even if you start a new one, I'd like to see with which concepts of factory setups you guys experiment with yourself.
Oh, and try different mods if you find the time. Maybe you'll see some concepts you'll like to put into the main game. (*cough* resource spawn overhaul *cough*) ;)

In other news, I'm pretty excited for 0.12 :) Keep going guys, Factorio keeps getting better and better!
Last edited by GewaltSam on Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willglynn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by willglynn »

Please consider S3 + CloudFront. It's less admin work than running your own CDN (probably faster too), and it's still cheaper than using S3 directly.

Yaua
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Yaua »

A lot of good things to hear !
Soon a stable candidate, optimizations (my computer will thank you for this, it is suffering more and more with my actual map), "beginning" of the endgame (so excited about it!), small talk about "Actually this refactoring could come really handy in the future with expanding to other worlds, going underground, etc. all as a part of a single game while the simulation of your home factory is running." (you mean like... eventually... expanding to OTHER WORLDS ?? and GOING UNDERGROUND ?? That would be awesome if it would occur one day)...

All of this is really exciting !!
Great work, and can't wait to see the 0.12 branch !
And really curious to see the new art :) Leon seems to do very good things !

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I have my fingers crossed for possible client/server computing power offloading and/or multithreading of main thread. This will probably be long and hard as implementing multiplayer multiplied by 10. :)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

cpy wrote:I have my fingers crossed for possible client/server computing power offloading and/or multithreading of main thread. This will probably be long and hard as implementing multiplayer multiplied by 10. :)
Give us 100 million dollars (the common cost of MMO game) and we will gladly do it, until then, we are doing "only" multiplayer game :)

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

I'm would say you would switch gladly to Client/Server for 10 Millions. And to get a playable game you just invent Factorio 2 with the same graphics, engine and p2p system and everyone who did buy Factorio (1) will get a free key. ;)
Well, 10 millions for just programming a small, buggy client/server version... :D
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

I wish I had 10 million dollars to give them to you... Or, more realistically, to buy shares in your company.

aRatNamedSammy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by aRatNamedSammy »

Nova wrote:I'm would say you would switch gladly to Client/Server for 10 Millions. And to get a playable game you just invent Factorio 2 with the same graphics, engine and p2p system and everyone who did buy Factorio (1) will get a free key. ;)
Well, 10 millions for just programming a small, buggy client/server version... :D
i doubt i could be into any buggy client/server version.. and im crossing fingers its not in Dev's minds too.. i prefer a good planning for anything not "buggy", we already have enough "Star trek bugline" kind , just to name one :o :shock:
anyway, all game suffer when its too big, company's want their money fast, so they release it too fast, as always, with load of bugs, or they cut in many features, options, or capacity inside the game, to reduce cost.
i personnaly avoid big games since few years, for that reason.. or try it a lot before thinking to buy it... which mean, cracked version :oops: ...
small and medium games , for my personnal opinion, is way better. and if its not a good game, it doesnt cost me much!

i already buy some games 80$, which doesnt worth more than 10$ :evil: .... and finally, that game had some nice graphs... that's it.. not even good to do the history/campaign..

Factorio, i have tons of fun to replay,
...and always keep that in mind,.. how much will the game be sold if they grow it to that point... not 20$ for sure :cry:
Teeth for Two (so sorry my bad english)

kagurazaki
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kagurazaki »

Looking good, Keep up the good work

omgbear
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by omgbear »

re: sin/cos -- Are you using lookup tables? Could make the functions as fast as caching the result locally and save some complexity.

Return to “News”