Oil Power Plants, reliable way of making electricity.

Power Plants, Energy Storage and Reliable Energy Supply. All about efficient energy production. Turning parts of your factory off. Reliable and self-repairing energy.
rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Oil Power Plants, reliable way of making electricity.

Post by rk84 »

Hello. I'm here to promote the most awsome Oil power technology! You too will soon be an oil supporter!

Polutions caused by oil are greatly exaggerated and would not harm a fly, nor there is side effects in humans*. If you see a dead fly, your monitor most like has broken pixel.

Here is example picture of 4MW power plant. The place use to be just refinery, but was later relocated and two 0.1/s crude oil sources were left behind. The power plant powers itself and rest of the capasity is used to power main grid via accumulators.

Below is my exel chart chart of 6 variations of above plant. Production cost in chart is average. Its bit peaky in game, but efficiency modules does tone it down. Boiler losses are not shown in production cost. (Excel sheets here)
y-axel values are in kW
+cracking means heavy to light cracking, instead of turning heavy directly to solid fuel.
+2xspeed 3 means two "speed modules 3" in both Pumpjacks.
+efficiency means oil refinery and all chemical plans have -80% consumption.

*As long as you wear protective equipment
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

User_Name
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Oil Power Plants, reliable way of making electricity.

Post by User_Name »

Great job. I was always curious how much power 0.1 well produces, and what is the best way to convert crude oil to solid fuel.
Attach your blueprints to forum posts with Foreman or Blueprint string.

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

A simple layout like this works great for overhauling old coal plants, and it works fine with basic refining tech. I always try to have a couple fields feeding a similar setup near my steam plants so I can free up coal for other purposes.

Really easy to re-configure once you get advanced processing, and a pretty early source of plastic since you'd have the coal lines nearby already.

If I'm reading it right, that's one Pumpjack can support about ~1.7MJ of power production (at optimal) at full depletion.. which is about three and a half steam engines. For a full host of 20-ish engines, that's a ballpark six oilsplats, give or take.

If you're running solar to make up the powergrid difference during the daytime, you can probably run twice as many engines for half the day, or rely on half as many local pumpjacks. I'd still want shipments of oil barrels, just in case something happens to the solar grid.

Not shabby. One deposit, six engines (long term). Since I normally build a plant of 18, it divides well this way.

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

I have scrap all my solar panels, so I don't have to worry if something happens to solar grid :D
Also in a bad day coal power plant kicks in.

My main grid's consumption is quite peaky. So extra boilers and engines together with small storage system to collect surplus solid fuel could be nice (or storage tanks). Not sure yet how much to add "overdrive" capasity. I just calculated that atleast +4% would be needed to cover highest consumtion spike in my 4MW plant with -80% efficiency (+20% without efficiency modules).
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

one think i wold add is a box on the out put of the Solid fuel from Light oil and Petroleum gas to the belt.

G_glop
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by G_glop »

Great job! I'll try use that in my game (idk if its gonna work cause i have a lot of mods installed).

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Oh well finally a use for all my depleted oil wells. :D

Good job rk84... I always wanted to do some math about the efficiency. Spares me the work.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

Nice idea :)

Indeed it inspired me to try for myself to create a solid fuel production facility:
The pipes on the left side are for oil and water as the facility uses advanced oil processing and cracking.
The created solid fuel is output on the right onto the belt. Because of the cracking the availability of light oil and petrolium gas is different which leads to a slightly unbalanced filling ratio of the belt's lanes so you might need to rebalance it if necessary.

One thing I always try to achieve with my blueprints is extensibility :)

So if you really want that solid fuel and have enough oil you can just put as many of these facilities unmodified right along each other as you like and grab the solid fuel from the single output belt.
Example with three:

Trepidati0n
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Trepidati0n »

This would be very nice for a "train fuel source" allow you to break a coal habit. However, how much energy would be required to make 4x T3 modules?

A simple blue factory is 150kW.
A miner is (-80%) = 90(1-*0.8) = 18kW
A electric furnace is (-60%) = 180*(1-0.6) = 72kW

To make a T3 speed module "continuously" you need

Factories = 50
Miners = 50
Furnaces = 45
Refiner = 6

Sort of funny how factorio naturally "balances" some things. This does not include petrol power or inserters. Total power is 11.5MW...lets round up to 14MW to include the petrol process and inserters. It takes "80 seconds" each..or 320 total. This comes to about 4 GJ of energy to produce 4 T3 modules. If the plant produces a bonus 2MW for the modules then it will take ~30 minutes to "pay for itself. So...in a "long game", it is a good investment!

What you need to continuously produce a T3 speed module. Even if you don't do it perfect..total energy (power * time) is still "the same".
---
Total:
1 x Speed module 3 (1 x Assembling machine 2)
4 x Speed module 2 (2 x Assembling machine 2)
16 x Speed module (4 x Assembling machine 2)
890 x Electronic Circuit (7.42 x Assembling machine 2)
892.5 x Iron Plate (19.52 x Electric Furnace)
892.5 x Iron Ore (19.52 x Electric Mining Drill)
3290 x Copper cable (13.71 x Assembling machine 2)
1645 x Copper Plate (35.98 x Electric Furnace)
1645 x Copper Ore (35.98 x Electric Mining Drill)
155 x Advanced Circuit (20.67 x Assembling machine 2)
310 x Plastic bar (1.55 x Chemical plant)
155 x Coal (3.39 x Electric Mining Drill)
483.75 x Petroleum gas (5.5 x Advanced oil processing)
483.52 x Water (0.06 x Offshore Pump)
879.55 x Crude oil (10.99 x Pumpjack 1.0/s)
25 x Processing Unit (6.25 x Assembling machine 2)
12.5 x Sulfuric acid (0.03 x Chemical plant)
12.5 x Sulfur (0.06 x Chemical plant)
1 x Alien artifact (0.01 x Kill alien spawners)

---Trivia point..to produce one rocket defense per minute would take ~25GW! A rocket defense per hour is 416 MW. A rocket defense in 10 hours is 42MW. This assumes some level of "efficiency" as well. Scary stuff.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

I made some enhancements to the solid fuel facility from the above post. :D

It is now one block slimmer, but alas one block longer as the pesky pipes are very contact friendly :lol: and I like to keep them apart :twisted:

So here it is:
Pipes (input) again on one side, belt (output) on the other.

And three of them connected as an example for chaining:

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

dee- wrote:I made some enhancements to the solid fuel facility from the above post. :D

It is now one block slimmer, but alas one block longer as the pesky pipes are very contact friendly :lol: and I like to keep them apart :twisted:

So here it is:
Pipes (input) again on one side, belt (output) on the other.

And three of them connected as an example for chaining:
If you use one light oil-to solid chemical plant (like in the original post), you even can make a smaller one (18 tiles wide).
With 0.1/s, i don't think using 2 light oil chemical plant was very useful. (since the original post is dealing with 2 depleted oil well)
And your initial (way above) design is flawed ? Because the heavy chemical plant water pipes is also feeding the petroleum input ?

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

waduk wrote:If you remove one light oil chemical plant (like in the original post), you even can make a smaller one (18 tiles wide).
With 0.1/s, i don't think using 2 light oil chemical plant was very useful. (since the original post is dealing with 2 depleted oil well)
It does not have to be a "0.1/s only" oil input as I wanted a more full-blown design.
The oil pipe can be max-filled and thus the oil processed faster, causing a bottleneck when only one light oil plant is available (if memory serves me right).
waduk wrote:And your initial (way above) design is flawed ? Because the heavy chemical plant water pipes is also feeding the petroleum input ?
Yes, the water pipe connects to one of the petroleum inputs.
But it does not matter as it has no influence on the plant, which gets the petroleum from the other input and simply does not pull anything from the input with the water. 8-)

Btw I think your design is not balancing the belt lanes? But it's nicely compact :) I like the returning pipe. The damned inserter not inserting directly into the underground belt ruined my design as it could otherwise be 1 field shorter. Found no trick to get the solid fuel through the underground belt without being blocked by the shroud.

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

Oh, i misinterpret your sentence when you said you want extendable design.
I thought you were going to expand the refineries when it's only dealing with two 0.1/s depleted oil well....hehe...
Sorry..
Edit :
Yeah it wasn't design to be well balanced, it was just there to feed some boiler, but we can easily changed that by replacing upper belt with inserter that will put the the other side.
And it was still extendable like your original design !
Edit 2 (adding image):
Edit 3 :
The blueprint string if anyone interested :
Blue print string
Last edited by waduk on Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

katt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by katt »

awesome! didn't know one can convert old 0.1l/s oil well into a block of powerplant :D

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

waduk wrote:Oh, i misinterpret your sentence when you said you want extendable design.
I thought you were going to expand the refineries when it's only dealing with two 0.1/s depleted oil well....hehe...
Sorry..
With "extendable" I meant you can stack more of these blocks with blueprints together and all inputs and outputs automagically connect without further modifications.
That's the reason the red belt on the right side and the pipes on the left go through the full height and lane balancing becomes more relevant. Just like you did :)

The example image with three of these blocks vertically stacked above of each other went missing, so probably my wording was misleading :)
waduk wrote:Yeah it wasn't design to be well balanced, it was just there to feed some boiler, but we can easily changed that by replacing upper belt with inserter that will put the the other side.
And it was still extendable like your original design !
Edit 2 (adding image):
nice! Nitpick: you don't need the belt between the two around-the-edge-inserters :D as the second inserter is as fast as the first so no items can stack up; also one solid fuel will get stuck at the end of the belt; if you want you can also think about replacing the belt with a chest to buffer fuel in case it is consumed sometimes faster and sometimes slower than produced

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

Oh yeah that belt wasn't necessary, but honestly i haven't thought about replacing that necessary belt with chest, that was unexpected "chest buffer" bonus !

Thank you for suggestion..

Yeah i get it with the extendable design, that's why i like about your design, and i keep to retained it that way, so we can stack them-up side by side to increase production.
Edit :
Image, now with chest
Blueprint string Compact Fuel Refineries V2
Last edited by waduk on Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

Well, then you'll maybe like this :)

The blueprints are however a little outdated and don't have the current optimizations and some small fixes implemented (the cracking bps are missing pipes, nothing someone can't fix).
Also many bps from my "repository" are missing on that page, but... it's meant as an inspiration ;)

Feel free to create your own extensible bus system, I'm interested in how you design it! :P

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

dee- wrote:Well, then you'll maybe like this :)

The blueprints are however a little outdated and don't have the current optimizations and some small fixes implemented (the cracking bps are missing pipes, nothing someone can't fix).
Oh probably that's why rarely someone sharing those beautiful design :(
I'm new to factorio, so yeah, many things i didn't know.
dee- wrote:Well, then you'll maybe like this :)

Feel free to create your own extensible bus system, I'm interested in how you design it! :P
Thanks, i'm gonna read that,..after my test how much is max throughput for some item (if i have time)
Using extendable design was a must, however, i found after some production, it was useless to extend due bottle neck (belt, etc), so yeah,.still much to learn...

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

waduk wrote: Using extendable design was a must, however, i found after some production, it was useless to extend due bottle neck (belt, etc), so yeah,.still much to learn...
To be fair, I rarely see designs with extensability in mind in the screenshots posted in this forum, so I assume everyone has his own idea about how a factory should be set up :)

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

Obviously each play in their own style, no good or bad.
But i really like they way if my factory was modular/extendable, and compact too :)

Return to “Energy Production”