Just bought the game; What were Your first impressions?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Just bought the game; What were Your first impressions?

Post by vampiricdust »

My first impression was "Shut up and take my money".

ShenJingBing
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ShenJingBing »

I actually watched a video on youtube before buying so I wasn't entirely confused. I think my first impression was; okay, let's do this. Then after three hours and running out of space I thought: "Okay, well, that blows. New map, this time let's plan ahead." So then I planned ahead until I reached oil processing at which point I noticed there was only a 60% yield nearby and I had once again run out of space.

While the early game is quite slow I just love starting a fresh map and taking steps in improving the setup.

Patric20878
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Patric20878 »

First impression for me was: this is like the brainchild of factory design in Tekkit Classic for Minecraft and KOHCKPYKTOP, the circuitry sim game! And I love both. Followed by me spending the next hour remapping controls to be like Minecraft, then finding out that belts have a limited throughput and can clog up/have only 2 lanes, which I didn't like initially, since Tekkit Classic doesn't have that limitation.

But once I got around accepting that not having the limitation would be kind of too simple, and then starting belt logic and then the actual assemblies. wow. 2D design like KOHC, factory design like TC, and an legit NEED for automation that makes all my favorite things like efficiency and compactness more or less mandatory. :D
Tekkit Classic expert and admin of the Tekkit Classic Wikia specializing in factory and frame gunship engineering, creator of the Optimized Steam Engine Setup, and a huge fan of Touhou. My TC designs may be found at https://imgur.com/a/IT0Ya.

nfcc08
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nfcc08 »

Best purchase of my gaming career!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I made this sticky.

My first impression (now nearly 2 years ago) was just: "This is it"
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

SomeDuder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SomeDuder »

ssilk wrote:"This is it"
While I've cut back on playing Factorio for a while now, till the end-game is more fleshed out at least and released on Steam, that was my first thought as well. This is it! As in, I'm done, I'm never playing anything else anymore. This game was made for me.

And hey, even when I'm not playing anymore, I still keep up with FF's and read the release notes for each new version eagerly :geek:

_cyro_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by _cyro_ »

first off i wondered where this game had been all my life.

then i played for about 4 or 5 hours strait.

Then I had to learn how to do things efficiently.

Which just made the game more fun.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

_cyro_ wrote:then i played for about 40 or 50 hours strait.
FTFY :mrgreen:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Sharlenwar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sharlenwar »

My first impressions of this game aren't really able to be written down for someone to read. It is a unique experience in the way that you go about creating a base with various automation chains happening. Moving resources from one area to another, defense systems, and biters thrown in for a good mix. Even has some weapons that you are able to use and it is a very interesting take on a real-time strategy style game.

Definitely look up Factorio in YouTube to see what it is all about. There is a wiki as well. There is also a tutorial built right into the game. If this game hits Steam, I can see an insurgence of new people.

:mrgreen:
**My Corner Of The Web**
YouTube Channel

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

I must be one of the very few players of Factorio who doesn't like Minecraft. And yes, I watched a lot of different Minecraft videos on Youtube and tried the singleplayer myself (just in case it wasn't that bad), but i almost use the word "hate" when talking about Minecraft.

I was introduced to Factorio by a Let's Play on Youtube, and the first episode (where he just ran around and collected stuff) i thought, it's just like minecraft, only in 2D (and didn't really like it).

Later on I watched some other episodes of that playthrough and I went like:
Wait, there are belts? Might not be so bad.
Wait, there are assemblers that produce automatically? And you can connect them with belts and inserters and actually see every individual item on the belt? Neat.
Wait, is that tech tree actually that big and complex? And science made in factories with standard products? Pretty advanced for an alpha.

I was pretty intrigued by that game and considered buying it. And then:
WAIT, there are logistic and construction robots? And they transfer stuff between chests like I order them to?
--> 5 minutes later I was a proud owner of this game and played at least straight through the night.

That was 2 months ago. Now, Factorio is my favourite game, and takes up most of my game time. Other games I play are KSP and Space Engineers, and sometimes a few Indie-Games.
Since I bought that game, I've seen that there are even more features than I ever considered, like Cars, Trains, Solar Panels, Accumulators, Power Armor + equipment and so on, and for a game in alpha it beats most of the alpha games I've bought.

One reason why I dislike Minecraft but like Factorio might be that I'm a computer programmer and that I love mathematics, and that's only really that useful in Factorio.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

daniel34 wrote:I must be one of the very few players of Factorio who doesn't like Minecraft.
You're not alone. 8-) Perhaps I played too much Lego in my childhood, but that game was really pure disappointment for me. Running around, looking edgy stuff. :) ;) Like WoW, which I was told "This is super fantastic", it was just boring running around. Or EVE Online, if you don't find good supporters.
Well nobody can like everything.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

daniel34 wrote:I must be one of the very few players of Factorio who doesn't like Minecraft. And yes, I watched a lot of different Minecraft videos on Youtube and tried the singleplayer myself (just in case it wasn't that bad), but i almost use the word "hate" when talking about Minecraft.
You are not alone :)

HeyRevolver
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by HeyRevolver »

I loaded it up and was thoroughly confused but was having a great time running around crafting stuff in this awesome isometric world. I started to get the hang of things but then realized that it was 7AM the next morning and I had been playing for 13 hours and I should probably sleep. Then I played some more.

Now, two 60+ hour saves later, I am still getting the hang of things... :lol: and the game is still just as fun as when I started! Also, mod support will help keep things fresh for months to come. I tried but could never get into Terraria or Minecraft, but Factorio hooked me almost instantly. I am happy to have another game in my library that I will be able to return to time and time again.

tomcat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tomcat »

I'm on my second playthrough and my factory looks like it was built by a five year old finger painted with conveyor belts then the dog walked all over it with the paw prints being the buildings.

and to think my current main powersource is nuclear... (uranium power mod). There's going to be biters and spitters with third eyes extra toes and sprogs growing out of their torsos scaling my walls soon....

syncsynchalt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by syncsynchalt »

First impressions were on the whole very good, the tutorial and New Hope did a great job getting me up to speed.

However the UI felt a little clunky, but in small ways. The biggest problem was getting things stuck on my cursor - the solution for this is to hit "Q" but it took me a while to find that and train myself to do it. I kept trying "Esc" or similar and it would have no effect.

It's a little later in the game but I also have trouble with the car controls - when in reverse I feel the controls are backwards from what I expect.

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

First impression: "Wow, this sucks, what the [censored] am I supposed to do?"

Second impression: "Oh, a tutorial, I wonder if it's as bad as most game tutorials these days."

Third impression: "Ok, finished the tutorial, now what? I bet _someone_ has done some gameplay videos on this..." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fourth impression: "Holy [censored] [censored] [censored] this game is [censored] [censored] amazing!!!!!!11!1one2three"

I still have a few little nitpicks about it, but it is alpha after all, and a better alpha than a whole lot of already released games.
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

Cougarific
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cougarific »

First impression: Hey! A game for people who've graduated High School! College even! :)

Second impression: Maybe I should have gone to a better High School. Or college. :|

Third impression: Hey this ain't so hard....LOOK I AUTOMATED GREEN SCIENCE PRODUCTION *happy dance* *more happy dance* :lol:

Fourth impression: Muthafreakin' liquids. I HATE YOU. :evil:

Fifth impression: LIQUIDS I AM YOUR MASTER BOW BEFORE ME! :twisted:

Sixth impression: Why the hell isn't this game on Steam already? :?:

tivvit
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tivvit »

First impression? Fuck it's already 5AM?!
This game is so funny, that I was totally abducted by it.

AnarCon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AnarCon »

I first heard of this game through a friend of mine, and after many disappointed titles I've tried past year I was not optimistic from the start. But I gave it it's fair chance, I pretty much got a feeling if it's something worth having after 15 minutes of play.
So it was only natural that I'd start with the tutorial missions to get a brief introduction and learn the controls which was pretty standard. After 5 min playtime I was sold, I thought to my self "OMG what a genious concept, why haven't I heard or tried this game before now" and this was only the demo, and in afterthought it's a really well made demo.
I was blown away by the concept and the seemingly endless possebilities.
Fast forward to today it's THE game I've put more time in than any other since WoW.
I've got myself a copy and even my nephew liked it so much I got one for him as well and we had some fun playing together on LAN. And the modding community is awesome, so many great mods really expanding a already rich game to near endless crafting recepies. I even written a personal thank you to the devs which to my supplies replied and was quite humbled by my mail.
And let's not forget this is APLHA, but goddam it's so stable, I've seen titles who's gone gold which have more issues than this alpha. To my recollection I can't think of a single time the core game have bugged on me and it's never crashed. I take my hat of to the devs for properly go thro their bugs list with zero tolerance and zealous appetite for bug hunting.
All in all, a truly enjoyable game and again my thanks to the great devs for a most enjoyable game. Can't wait for a sequence
EDIT: my only regret about this game is that it's not coming with more hours in the day to play it. First time I tried it, I spent hours n hours on the tutorial and the it was the middle of the night, felt like I just downloaded it 5 mins ago. My inner geek child was ecstatic and wouldn't let go.
Now prolly 2 months later it's still the game that takes up most of my day (and nights too) cuz it's so hard to hit that exit button, it should be smaller IMO. And even tho it's a bit of a drag to start over on a fresh game I do start a new game every time I try a new mod or a newer release is available just to fully enjoy the experience from the start. I truly envy the player who picks this up for the first time and get their mind blown away and sink helpless into the night after "just 5 more mins" which more or less was 5 hours ago

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

AnarCon wrote: [...]
I have to say, truer words have never been spoken ;) Now, imagine how it will be discovering that whole new endgame in 0.12 for the first time. That's a new factory for me then, and it can't be not awesome :D

Return to “General discussion”