Friday Facts #74 - The brainstorming

Regular reports on Factorio development.
dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #74 - The brainstorming

Post by dee- »

For the record - I thank everyone for disagreeing with my post and point out my concerns are not valid - because what's better than invalid concerns? :D

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

The other day I thought of founding an Anti-dee- Club and inviting everyone from this thread. We'd spend our workdays discussing the invalidity of that one post and the awesomeness that is automatic rail building, and our weekends playing golf.

indjev99
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by indjev99 »

Don't get me wrong I am super excited about the part of the game in space. But does that mean that you are ditching the idea of a self replicating factories on the ground and stopping to improve the early, mid and sort of late(before the space things) game for example stuff like extending the early game for longer than 1/160 of the whole game. :?:

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jonathan88 »

You are so lucky to have trams in Prague - apparently one of the best systems in the world!! Maybe that could be added to factorio - personal 1 car trams for the rail network :D :) :D
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

They also have a pneumatic post system. The parcels are loaded in capsules and sent between stations across the city inside pressurized underground tubes. Not functioning anymore, but still a very nice curiosity and the only preserved system of this type in the world.

There's also a restaurant called Výtopna with a rich model railway system within. Not only that - there's a piece of railway track leading to every table and the drinks you order are brought to you via a model train.

Honestly I can't imagine Factorio being developed in any other town.

Legoman165
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Legoman165 »

GREAT IDEA

Why not make it so you build like a 16x16 chunk of the station inside the rocket, somehow, and send it up to space after picking a specific section to place the chunk in and it connects to the rest of the station. That way you have to plan out your station before you go up. Like you have to plan out power, and some sort of bio-sphere to live in before you go up and maybe even more!

Cordylus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cordylus »

They also have a pneumatic post system. The parcels are loaded in capsules and sent between stations across the city inside pressurized underground tubes. Not functioning anymore, but still a very nice curiosity and the only preserved system of this type in the world.
They have also the real-life LOGISTIC ROBOTS in the Prague hospital:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lwbE1TfLUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTSsVDvJq5U

That's fantastic! 8-)

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Thanks, I had no idea they run such an amazing system.

I failed to find any details about the system, though.
Not even a name / manufacturer brand.

Details like where the processing power resides, how much they handle on one charge
and how deeply integrated those are would be appreciated

MegaNanome
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MegaNanome »

You could need space gear to support yourself in space?

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

MF- wrote:Thanks, I had no idea they run such an amazing system.

I failed to find any details about the system, though.
Not even a name / manufacturer brand.

Details like where the processing power resides, how much they handle on one charge
and how deeply integrated those are would be appreciated
All I've been able to find is that there's 38 of them, they make 700 trips daily and they've had them for about 20 years. There's also a (functioning) pneumatic post system and robotic surgeons (and all kinds of robots for tedious tasks like handling blood samples).

It's one of the largest healthcare facilities in Europe, with over 5000 employees and nearly 2000 beds. Essentially a healing factory.

grimduck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by grimduck »

Cool agv system, and running 20 years is quiet impressive.

I'm one of the lucky ones that get to program those system, damn cool job. And then I come home and get to play factorio multiplayer with my wife. Life is pretty good :D

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

vampiricdust wrote:
Drury wrote: I like the idea of trading in games like EVE or Team Fortress 2, where value is distributed unevenly and players are forced to trade with other players who gain access to valuables at random. But in Factorio, value is distributed perfectly evenly and one can even set how many resources they want on their map. Every player gets everything that can be gotten in the game. There is no point in trading since there is nothing to trade for. You get everything you need.
*snip*

A space run rescue either means a time limit of some form or a game of maximizing the ship for an easy win. The depth required to build a ship for the space run doesn't sound very deep at all. Once you have a design to win, the design would probably win more often then not and there would be very little replay ability. If you went with an open ended galactic market that was unique generated like the map, every end game would be different as worlds would request different things & give different items. You'd have to balance your current production ability against profitable markets, meaning your factory will change from map to map as one game you may make easy money on trains, but another map gets you rich on tanks as they went to war.

The space run idea is great, but it doesn't meet the depth they ask for in ideas. A market game opens up a lot of dynamics that can be modded to give players different goals. While wealth is main reward, it is more of an indicator of your progress towards win goals. Things like achieving the greatest construction boom since humans first left earth, developing technology that develops itself faster than humans could, or becoming one of the richest people in the galaxy. Every play through would be different and mods could use this framework to make all sorts of galactic goals achievable by a lone player working hard on a factory that changes the destiny of humanity.

Grandeur is bigger than a single colony ship.
I've been thinking about this argument for a while and the more I think, the more I like the colony ship rescue idea:

It works as a (relatively) quick endgame but at the same time there's no reason a later update or expansion to Factorio couldn't make it segue into that galactic trade idea.

If colonists have needs for things like housing, food, entertainment, work, and the like, then all of a sudden, a massive amount of new industries opens. Some of these can be met with what's available on the planet, and other which need additional space runs; You might mine platinum in space for it's catalytic properties, or you could set up giant radio receiver to catch old transmissions from Earth and other colonies (for entertainment and otherwise). Even run to other planets not just to sell your world's unique finished products but also to pick up new ones with which to expand your industry: new crops, new colonists, new technologies.

Heck, if a number of these interstellar goods are one time trades, or just get more expensive each time, you could easily encourage a bit of both PVP and player trade there as players compete for resources; The thought, "Well, I could put up my very own comsat... or I could hook a cable into Charley's communications network and just use his while I make a run for corn." can arise in both co-op and PVP

Certainly rescuing the colonists is an endgame, and makes for a good victory condition, but it doesn't have to be just that forever.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

Vizoros
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vizoros »

My apologies for being rude, I haven't read everything in this thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned, and I may see if there is somewhere better to post this.

Just a suggestion for the Space Platform, which you may have already thought of, but what about making it over multiple levels? So say an underground belt actually does go underground to the floor below. There is plenty of space in space (obviously), but it would be much more resource intensive and illogical to widen the platform than to make it deeper. Essentially creating 3D factories.

I will admit that the thought has occurred to me that the "platform" may just be the outside of a cylinder, in which the Rescue Ship itself is built by humungous inserters.

Also could be a suggestion for the early/mid-game world, but reduces the need to expand, which is heresy.

Great work, absolutely loving the game, however I can't help but wonder how often I can resist the "Restart" urge so I'll get to try out the end-game content.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Cordylus wrote:
They have also the real-life LOGISTIC ROBOTS in the Prague hospital:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lwbE1TfLUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTSsVDvJq5U

That's fantastic! 8-)

This system is visually related
More moving shelves: robotic fulfillment system for warehouse automation (Plain website with a demo video)

PS: Would be nice to collect all those "technical marvels" that got posted here in a separate board / topic group
Especially those like the one I queote, which get lost in the FFF/Release announcement threads.

EDIT:
For example I was unable to find a GIF video of a team of robots grouping randomized items
Whose I found larger version of and would post it there: http://youtu.be/co4C5A7pkGg

kenji_03
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kenji_03 »

In every game I play, the number one thing I love the most is a "new game plus", where I can start over brand new with some (if not all) of my work from a previous play through carrying over. Being able to mine an area until I'm bored, transport it all up to my space platform, and start anew in an area with different parameters (perhaps start off in easy mode, amass my wealth, and then carry that stuff over to a very hard and dangerous mode).

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CreeperDaReeper »

kenji_03 wrote:In every game I play, the number one thing I love the most is a "new game plus", where I can start over brand new with some (if not all) of my work from a previous play through carrying over. Being able to mine an area until I'm bored, transport it all up to my space platform, and start anew in an area with different parameters (perhaps start off in easy mode, amass my wealth, and then carry that stuff over to a very hard and dangerous mode).
THAT. That would be awesome. I'd very much love to have this.

Leppystyle
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Leppystyle »

It would be cool having the area to work in so restricted, and will the ship intercept asteroids to get iron, coal, and copper or will we have to send it up?

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Leppystyle wrote:It would be cool having the area to work in so restricted, and will the ship intercept asteroids to get iron, coal, and copper or will we have to send it up?
You're a year late, there has been a shift in plans and the space stage got cut from the final release.

It may reappear as a DLC, but don't take it for granted.

sithe124
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sithe124 »

Im just gonna say You guys know how to make a game. Factorio is literally like a drug once u get hooked u cant stop and i absolutely love it. It kind of an RTS but at the same time a survival game it is amazing. About the space building, making the rocket with the satellite was pretty good but a little dull. It doesn't even scan ahead for you :/. But when the space update comes i imagine the rocket allowing you to go into space with your own space ship and that is really satisfying. To make your own space ship from scratch and be able to fly it would be great. maybe u wont you guys could add a little solar system where you start on one planet go to orbit make a space station, then be able to go to other planets (up to around 4-5) and gather resources using factories and send the resources to a space station in space. That would make the actual "end game" satisfying like dont get me wrong this game is great and it is nice once u finish it but it just kinda burns out after u launched a few rockets and all you get is an extra number up in the tab there needs to be like a higher goal. I rate Factorio 9.8 out of 10

PUNISHER989
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PUNISHER989 »

Frablays46 wrote:
slpwnd wrote:The news have arrived: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-74
hy me name is Frablayses I am new here
Im just gonna say You guys know how to make a game. Factorio is literally like a drug once u get hooked u cant stop and i absolutely love it. It kind of an RTS but at the same time a survival game it is amazing. About the space building, making the rocket with the satellite was pretty good but a little dull. It doesn't even scan ahead for you :/. But when the space update comes i imagine the rocket allowing you to go into space with your own space ship and that is really satisfying. To make your own space ship from scratch and be able to fly it would be great. maybe u wont you guys could add a little solar system where you start on one planet go to orbit make a space station, then be able to go to other planets (up to around 4-5) and gather resources using factories and send the resources to a space station in space. That would make the actual "end game" satisfying like dont get me wrong this game is great and it is nice once u finish it but it just kinda burns out after u launched a few rockets and all you get is an extra number up in the tab there needs to be like a higher goal. I rate Factorio 9.8 out of 10
This really could have the potential to become like spore, where you can rule the galaxy and manage each planet manually. It will also satisfy the players that like to start new maps/ factories, just go to another planet and build afresh, (and you can only choose like 5 research items to take down with you.)

or stick to your planets idea where an end game can work, just make a specific resource unique to each planet.

could be an awesome expansion pack.

Return to “News”