Digital Display, Yay!

This board is to show, discuss and archive useful combinator- and logic-creations.
Smart triggering, counters and sensors, useful circuitry, switching as an art :), computers.
Please provide if possible always a blueprint of your creation.
ctalkep_
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:00 am
Contact:

Re: Digital Display, Yay!

Post by ctalkep_ »

you can go even smaller if you're willing to sacrifice some resolution(and CPU cycles)
could probably use a log scale instead of the arbitrary thresholds but that would take some thinking
combinatorless.gif
combinatorless.gif (162.55 KiB) Viewed 4315 times
Retne
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Digital Display, Yay!

Post by Retne »

This last one was very handy for me as it's not so big (all appreciated, mind!) and I have tweaked it in a small way to show what is being counted, so if anyone finds that useful (a bunch of these in a row, perhaps), here it is:
03-26-2025, 10-51-43.png
03-26-2025, 10-51-43.png (268.49 KiB) Viewed 3851 times
User avatar
Wario512
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2025 9:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Digital Display, Yay!

Post by Wario512 »

Retne wrote: Wed Mar 26, 2025 10:58 am This last one was very handy for me as it's not so big (all appreciated, mind!) and I have tweaked it in a small way to show what is being counted, so if anyone finds that useful (a bunch of these in a row, perhaps), here it is:

03-26-2025, 10-51-43.png

this does not work for showing content of the logistics-network though as its only showing the first item there then
eugenekay
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 2:14 am
Contact:

Re: Digital Display, Yay!

Post by eugenekay »

Wario512 wrote: Fri Apr 18, 2025 9:44 pmthis does not work for showing content of the logistics-network though as its only showing the first item there then
You can use a Selector Combinator (which are new for 2.0, and finding new uses all the time!) in either Select Input or Random Input mode to filter the signal, ideal for showing contents of a Mall, one item at a time.

Good Luck!
J-H
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Digital Display, Yay!

Post by J-H »

ctalkep_ wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2025 12:38 pm you can go even smaller if you're willing to sacrifice some resolution(and CPU cycles)
could probably use a log scale instead of the arbitrary thresholds but that would take some thinking
combinatorless.gif

Thanks, this is super helpful! Is there a way to change what is being displayed/counted aside from at the original paste-in?
ctalkep_
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:00 am
Contact:

Re: Digital Display, Yay!

Post by ctalkep_ »

J-H wrote: Mon Apr 21, 2025 3:00 am Is there a way to change what is being displayed/counted aside from at the original paste-in?
sure there is, combinators are turing-complete after all
just have it display a dummy signal which you set however you want
multidisplay.gif
multidisplay.gif (184.1 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
Avona
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:50 am
Contact:

Re: Digital Display, Yay!

Post by Avona »

I modified SuicideJunkie's design to include negative numbers. I also included the missing 10th digit. It *does* require an extra DC + CC, but that's the best I could do...
Image

Also, I modified ctalkep_'s bp to include negative numbers. Not incredibly accurate, but it at least gives some indication of the range of the signal...
Image
Emtucifor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 8:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Digital Display, Yay!

Post by Emtucifor »

SuicideJunkie wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2024 8:06 pm Well, the minimalist digital display has hit rock bottom.

One math combinator, one lookup table digit-basing constant.
And one input constant.

Now with leading zero removal and parameterized input signal choice.
But what if I need that last 2147483647??? This display can only go up to 2147483646, and only if you add another display to the left...

:) :) :)


Too bad it only supports signed 4-byte longs...
quale
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Digital Display, Yay!

Post by quale »

I revised my lamp-based number display and added a few new ones for Factorio 2.
Factorio number displays.png
Factorio number displays.png (5.76 MiB) Viewed 71 times
For the lamps I ended up improving contrast using the new color features. I needed an extra stage of combinators to support that. 4 gate delays, horrible! Otherwise, it’s mostly cleanup using new combinator features. Processing red and green inputs separately is nice. I used to use horrible hacks to get more functionality out of fewer combinators. Want to check if -10<x<0? Add 9-2^31 to the other wire color, then check that x<9-2^31. Want to output 10 if x=0? Add 10 to the other wire color, then check that x=10 and output the input value. You can output an arbitrary constant now, but you still can’t see 0 using wildcards. I worked around it differently this time.


The new panels are so very clean and compact! I swear I came up with this solution before checking prior art. I guess there aren’t many options once you’re down to a single active combinator. I will say that I solved the range problem. It supports the entire [-2^31, 2^31). 1 gate delay.


One of my ideas to make a more compact display was to use electronic color codes. Factorio 2 enables that as well. But it’s easily overshadowed by the more compact panels showing normie numbers. The = combinators can be shared among multiple instances, though, if you reconfigure the internal signals to be different. I improvised a pink lamp as a minus sign. 3 gate delays.
Post Reply

Return to “Combinator Creations”