logistic_mode on ProxyContainerPrototype

Things that we aren't going to implement
egladil
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2025 8:35 pm
Contact:

logistic_mode on ProxyContainerPrototype

Post by egladil »

It would be nice to be able to configure proxy containers to be logistic network members. That way you could easily expose any inventory to the logistics network.
Kabury
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:41 pm
Contact:

Re: logistic_mode on ProxyContainerPrototype

Post by Kabury »

+1
againey
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:57 pm
Contact:

Re: logistic_mode on ProxyContainerPrototype

Post by againey »

+1

I imagine this would be done by adding some of the fields from LogisticContainerPrototype. Though I'm not sure if they're all potentially relevant, or if they'd cause conflicts if a proxy were linked to an ordinary logistic container with different field values.
sarge945
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:45 am
Contact:

Re: logistic_mode on ProxyContainerPrototype

Post by sarge945 »

I know this is never ever going to happen, but I would love to get support for logistics on CargoWagonPrototype as well.
User avatar
boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 4938
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: logistic_mode on ProxyContainerPrototype

Post by boskid »

This is way outside of what proxy container was supposed to do and its not possible to be implemented without wide changes affecting every entity that has inventory. Main issue is that proxy container does not own the inventory it borrows, which means it is not instantly notified of content changes happening to the inventory - proxy container only forwards all requests to the linked entity (requests to insert item, requests for wakeup list inserter should sleep on, requests what is the current inventory to be exposed). This detail makes it impossible because logistic members heavily rely on content change notifications to update counters of items available in the logistic member, and without those notifications all possible consistency checks would keep failing.
egladil
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2025 8:35 pm
Contact:

Re: logistic_mode on ProxyContainerPrototype

Post by egladil »

I see, that's unfortunate. I was hoping to use this to allow logistics bots to pick up and drop items directly into the space platform hub.
Post Reply

Return to “Won't implement”