[2.0.77] Crash loading save: "Corrupt map: unknown quality prototype ID 9"

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Destrux
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2026 6:05 pm
Contact:

[2.0.77] Crash loading save: "Corrupt map: unknown quality prototype ID 9"

Post by Destrux »

Hi ,

Just tried to load my game after a windows update and now it crashes
see attachments.
the mod list is readable in the log
but if you want I can upload them too?

I'm in the insider preview group of windows.
using the current factorio steam version 2.0.77
Attachments
screenshot of my windows build
screenshot of my windows build
windows-info.png (43.15 KiB) Viewed 247 times
jk,iaL.zip
save game
(76.73 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
factorio-dump-current.dmp
dump file
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 8 times
factorio-current.log
log file
(40.38 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1572
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:52 pm
Contact:

Re: [2.0.77] Crash loading save: "Corrupt map: unknown quality prototype ID 9"

Post by sparr »

This probably belongs in Bug Reports. Thanks for including the save and log!
Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 17571
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:23 am
Contact:

Re: [2.0.77] Crash loading save: "Corrupt map: unknown quality prototype ID 9"

Post by Rseding91 »

The game isn’t supposed to crash, however it’s crashing after it detected the save was corrupt half way through loading it.

The crashing I’ll look into fixing, but the save itself is corrupt and won’t load regardless of the crash being fixed.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.
Destrux
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2026 6:05 pm
Contact:

Re: [2.0.77] Crash loading save: "Corrupt map: unknown quality prototype ID 9"

Post by Destrux »

that is strange because all saves of that game are then corrupt,
I tried the autosave 6 seconds before that savegame.
the previous autosave(10 minutes before that) is then also corrupted.
very strange that...
I think it has something to do with the windows update this week, before the update my game worked, after that the above error came up.

edit: thanks sparr for moving this thread to the correct place. :)
Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 11025
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:53 pm
Contact:

Re: [2.0.77] Crash loading save: "Corrupt map: unknown quality prototype ID 9"

Post by Loewchen »

Destrux wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2026 10:12 pm that is strange because all saves of that game are then corrupt,
I tried the autosave 6 seconds before that savegame.
the previous autosave(10 minutes before that) is then also corrupted.
very strange that...
Not that strange, the value stored in memory got corrupted while you played and every save created from that point on contains the corruption.
Destrux
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2026 6:05 pm
Contact:

Re: [2.0.77] Crash loading save: "Corrupt map: unknown quality prototype ID 9"

Post by Destrux »

Loewchen wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2026 10:26 pm
Destrux wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2026 10:12 pm that is strange because all saves of that game are then corrupt,
I tried the autosave 6 seconds before that savegame.
the previous autosave(10 minutes before that) is then also corrupted.
very strange that...
Not that strange, the value stored in memory got corrupted while you played and every save created from that point on contains the corruption.
Does that mean I have to start the game anew? or can the savegame be recovered?
Can that corruption happen again ? and if so how do I prevent it ?
Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 17571
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:23 am
Contact:

Re: [2.0.77] Crash loading save: "Corrupt map: unknown quality prototype ID 9"

Post by Rseding91 »

Destrux wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 7:14 am Does that mean I have to start the game anew? or can the savegame be recovered?
Can that corruption happen again ? and if so how do I prevent it ?
So far, every person who has had this style of corruption has eventually traced it to failing/failed hardware (most commonly RAM). So testing that, and figuring out if that's what caused it would be prudent.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.
Destrux
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2026 6:05 pm
Contact:

Re: [2.0.77] Crash loading save: "Corrupt map: unknown quality prototype ID 9"

Post by Destrux »

Just did a standard mdsched , and no errors were found, so my memory is okay at least, I will do an OCCT test later.
First time my save game has been corrupted irreparably.
Still think it has something to do with the windows insider preview upgrade (that happened almost at the same time!)

So the game got corrupted in memory, and all saves from that point on were corrupted also ? with no chance of repair?
it's just... i dunno ... it took me about 144 hours of game time , :/ that's frustrating to cope with.

I hope the game can solve that issue in the future.

EDIT: okay, i just loaded a savegame that was 20 hours before (first trip to fulgora) that worked
Post Reply

Return to “Technical Help”