[2.1.17] - UI Only : Combinator 'input count' output preview does not respect red/green

Bugs that are actually features.
GrimerX
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:06 am
Contact:

[2.1.17] - UI Only : Combinator 'input count' output preview does not respect red/green

Post by GrimerX »

Combinator runtime logic is correct, this is just a display issue.

Note how 'Outputs' shows L n=1, even though red is L n=2. If I reverse it (green n=3), then the issue shows up in the else block. Basically, whatever branch is being evaluated shows up in the preview for all branches, regardless of red/green wire preferences.
09-05-2026, 13-52-38.png
09-05-2026, 13-52-38.png (186.35 KiB) Viewed 444 times
User avatar
boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 4921
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: [2.1.17] - UI Only : Combinator 'input count' output preview does not respect red/green

Post by boskid »

This is on the boundary of being a bug, because currently the values on the output side were decided to show current output value, which means they do not care about what networks are selected, it just shows output value of specified signal. I will have to dig slightly deeper into this because maybe having current output values there is not useful as they are already visible on the list below so maybe having input presented would be more useful. Your bug report is specifically assuming that the values should be based on input (not output) and it just so happens that one of the inputs matches the output making it appear as just one of them does not respect corresponding input, while its actually both. Problem with that is that it would create a significant discrapency between decider and other control behaviors where it is possible to select an output signal (for example rail signals providing color, they show value from the output network). I am leaning slightly towards Not a bug but i will leave it here for a discussion.
GrimerX
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:06 am
Contact:

Re: [2.1.17] - UI Only : Combinator 'input count' output preview does not respect red/green

Post by GrimerX »

Thanks boskid - I see what you're saying.

The main reason I'd like to see L2 show up in the 'If' block in the example I show is because it's more clear/easier to debug because I don't need to simulate both sides - I can just read their projected outputs. It's probably a bit of a corner case, but a new one with the new R/G feature.
User avatar
boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 4921
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: [2.1.17] - UI Only : Combinator 'input count' output preview does not respect red/green

Post by boskid »

I am going to classify this as a Not a bug because i do not see proposed version to be better enough to make me break consistency of the output signals showing output values.
Post Reply

Return to “Not a bug”