I cannot find information about restrictive dependencies in the WIKI.

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
User avatar
jamiechi1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:12 pm

I cannot find information about restrictive dependencies in the WIKI.

Post by jamiechi1 »

I would like to see an official example of how to use restrictive dependencies somewhere.
The modding tutorial should show this.
Nidan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:40 am
Contact:

Re: I cannot find information about restrictive dependencies in the WIKI.

Post by Nidan »

What are these "restrictive dependencies" supposed to be?
Something you declare in info.json? Non-optional dependencies could be considered a form of restriction, but why create a specific term for that?
Or something related to prototypes, entities, etc.? The modding API has a few hits each for "restrict" and "depend", but they don't appear together.
Overall, I don't think "restrictive dependencies" are a thing that exists within factorio.
User avatar
jamiechi1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:12 pm

Re: I cannot find information about restrictive dependencies in the WIKI.

Post by jamiechi1 »

Please read the following.
"There are required dependencies, and optional dependencies. The third kind, restrictive dependencies, ... "
https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Modd ... al/Gangsir

It is something many mods use in the info.json file. And Yes, it Is a thing.
Nidan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:40 am
Contact:

Re: I cannot find information about restrictive dependencies in the WIKI.

Post by Nidan »

The paragraph feels like some combination of overly vague and outdated/wrong. At least the context makes it clear what "restrictive dependencies" are supposed to be: The official documentation calls them "incompatibilities"; "conflicts" is another common name.
User avatar
Osmo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2024 12:08 pm
Contact:

Re: I cannot find information about restrictive dependencies in the WIKI.

Post by Osmo »

I have updated the tutorial to have up-to-date information and made it link to the corresponding API docs page.
I also made a request to improve that part of the docs viewtopic.php?t=136101
Nidan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:40 am
Contact:

Re: I cannot find information about restrictive dependencies in the WIKI.

Post by Nidan »

Thanks, that looks much better.
User avatar
jamiechi1
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:12 pm

Re: I cannot find information about restrictive dependencies in the WIKI.

Post by jamiechi1 »

Osmo wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2026 10:11 am I have updated the tutorial to have up-to-date information and made it link to the corresponding API docs page.
I also made a request to improve that part of the docs viewtopic.php?t=136101
Yes. Thank you.
Post Reply

Return to “Modding help”