Game is on 2.0.77 but thinks it is still on version 2.0.73

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Deffa
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2026 4:38 pm
Contact:

Game is on 2.0.77 but thinks it is still on version 2.0.73

Post by Deffa »

Hi,
I face a reocurring issue with the game update.
When I start the game I get the following update notification for an update from 2.0.73 to 2.0.77:
08-25-2026, 18-44-27.png
08-25-2026, 18-44-27.png (276.1 KiB) Viewed 671 times
Problem is, the game should already be on 2.0.77. When I attempt the update, it always fails with the following message:
08-25-2026, 18-49-36.png
08-25-2026, 18-49-36.png (200.37 KiB) Viewed 671 times
After this, the game still thinks it's on 2.0.73. This can be temporarily fixed by verifying the integrity of the game files in Steam. After the check, the game recognizes it's on 2.0.77. But this only works until the next PC reboot for some reason. The check also works when I do it without attempting the update beforehand.

I already tried to uninstall/reinstall the game and I tried to delete the

Code: Select all

ChunkPositionAndArea.html
file, thinking it might be corrupt. Nothing worked.

I would appreciate any help with this.
Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 17588
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:23 am
Contact:

Re: Game is on 2.0.77 but thinks it is still on version 2.0.73

Post by Rseding91 »

The in-game updater shouldn't be running when using the steam version of the game so something seems quite broken on your system.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.
Deffa
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2026 4:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Game is on 2.0.77 but thinks it is still on version 2.0.73

Post by Deffa »

I did own the game pre-steam, and I haven't played for a long time before this issue occurred, but other than that, I didn't do anything special as far as I know.
User avatar
Sanqui
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 7:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Game is on 2.0.77 but thinks it is still on version 2.0.73

Post by Sanqui »

How exactly are you launching Factorio? And please post the log file so we can take a closer look at what might be going on.
devops • CI/CD • servers • websites

ovo
Deffa
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2026 4:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Game is on 2.0.77 but thinks it is still on version 2.0.73

Post by Deffa »

I always launched the game from my desktop shortcut. But because of your question, I tried to launch it from steam and there I don't get the update popup and the game knows it's on 2.0.77.
Kinda obvious in hindsight that I should have tried this, but alas.
Thank you very much nonetheless!
Post Reply

Return to “Technical Help”