Circuit network suggestions

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Circuit network suggestions

Post by ssilk »

See this thread: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=6&t=980

Conclusion for me:
- The wires are really nice. I like them and they fit perfect to the steam-punk theme.
- Circuit-networks aren't thought to be big. So it shouldn't be possible to make them big, or if you need to make them big, it is made differently.
- The difference between logistic network and circuit network is not clear. Where are the borders?

Suggestions:

1. reduce the max-size of a circuit-network. I exclude in the count the wires you need to connect a chest or an inserter, only the wires between poles are counting!!
I think, that 10 wires for a wire-network is enough. For example 20 covers really big networks I created and I think they where too big and they could be made much smaller, if needed.

--> The sense is, that it should be clear for every player, that the circuit-network is only thought for small networks and he should think in small ranges for sub-factories and long ranges for the logistic network or other transimissions.

2. for longer distances/bigger networks it should be possible to have a "wireless network-station". Connect one cable, select the channel go to the other side, place the second station, select the right channel and connect cables. The both networks are now connected directly. (note: This network-station should have a very, very far, but limited range!)

--> The sense of this is, that it is the bridge between the wire- and the wireless network.

For example, the logistic network (logistic, not circuit) could send per default on wireless-channel "L". Then I have to place only one station, connect to channel "L" and voilla: I can set an inserter, which is connected to the logistics-network. So with this device you create also the logic bridge between the circuit and logistic network.

( I introduced "channel", they are just channels, like on a cable with many strings in it. we already talked about it here:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... nnel#p6240
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... nnel#p6865
)

... ok, the next logic step is introducing of "channel"-cable, a cable, which has more than one channel. If you connect it to a device, you can select the channel it sends or receives signals.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: Circuit network suggestions

Post by cube »

I really like the second idea.
The first one, on the other hand seems pretty artificial. Why 10? Why not 11? And even having only 10 wires doesn't guarantee that the network doesn't look tangled.
I have no idea what I'm talking about.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

cube wrote:I really like the second idea.
The first one, on the other hand seems pretty artificial. Why 10? Why not 11? And even having only 10 wires doesn't guarantee that the network doesn't look tangled.
+1

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

cube wrote:The first one, on the other hand seems pretty artificial. Why 10? Why not 11? And even having only 10 wires doesn't guarantee that the network doesn't look tangled.
Perhaps some other kind of limitation. I thought the size of a graph could be calculated relatively simple, and then I thought how big it may be to be not big, that's the only reason.

Cordylus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cordylus »

Necromancy
It needs a little discussion right now.

Limiting size of the network would be a very bad idea when we will have combinators, but the wireless connection sounds interesting.
There will be problem to connect far outposts with the main factory by the current system of manual wiring.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think point 1 is handled here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=6&t=119 Energy Loss Over Distance - this is basically the same reason.

Point 2, the wireless connection is interesting now, because it is a logical extension for the circuit network. I put it into a new suggestion: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =6&t=12652

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”