Friday Facts #74 - The brainstorming

Regular reports on Factorio development.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #74 - The brainstorming

Post by slpwnd »

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #74 - The brainstorming

Post by _aD »

OH COME ON! That is just not fair.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

The platform look epic!!! Release it now!

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Friday Fact wrote: logistic trash area in player's inventory - get rid of things you don't need by sending them to the logistic system
personal construction robots - speedup of later game stages
automatic railway building - don't micro manage the railways building, just draw the plan and let the robots build it
These 3 things by themselfs will make 0.12 AWESOME.
And the platform looks really good. Hopefully the platforms texture will not just be the same everywhere, but actually have variety when expanded.
Waste of bytes : P

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

inb4 science snob: That doesn't make sense, there wouldn't be enough gravity on that orbiting platform to keep items on the transport belts
gameplay enthusiast: who cares, AWESOME SPACE PLATFORMS!!1!
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

kel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kel »

things in space is automaticly awesome!

deef0000dragon1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by deef0000dragon1 »

As a suggestion, I recommend that you add a large number of High tech level power systems for the ship as a steam powered space ship, while cool, is not exactally feasible in space, where coal/oil doesn't as far as we are aware, exist.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

I don't quite get what those three points are needed for.
Friday Fact wrote:logistic trash area in player's inventory - get rid of things you don't need by sending them to the logistic system
Place an active provider chest, put stuff inside, pick it up after empty.
Friday Fact wrote:personal construction robots - speedup of later game stages
Yes, nice, already available as a mod. But how does the pocket integrate with the logistics network's ranges?
You'd still have to place a trail of robostations so the bots can get the stuff from the storage to where you placed the blueprint.
And if the bots should feed from your inventory - just place a roboport and a storage chest and dump the same items inside and the construction bots, you probably have to carry along either way, can get it from right there.
Friday Fact wrote:automatic railway building - don't micro manage the railways building, just draw the plan and let the robots build it
Isn't this the same as placing a blueprint with railroads on it? And if not - why have a separate logic for railroads, but not for belts or even production sites?

I'm obviously missing something here :(
Last edited by dee- on Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kim Jong Ugly
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kim Jong Ugly »

Dat tile set doh :geek:

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

deef0000dragon1 wrote:As a suggestion, I recommend that you add a large number of High tech level power systems for the ship as a steam powered space ship, while cool, is not exactally feasible in space, where coal/oil doesn't as far as we are aware, exist.
Solar power plants would have higher output in space, as there is no atmosphere. Also they would produce power continuously, as there is no day/night cycle.

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by katyal »

@dee-
I'll concede your first point. For point two I'm giving the devs the benefit of the doubt and assuming they can do it better in C than how it works in lua not to mention it could lead to some interesting api hooks for future mods. As for point number three... scale you need it for rails because of the scale at which rails are built and becaue this might just be the missing link to building a von neumann factory.

Molay
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Molay »

I'm very happy with the new direction the endgame has gone. The "get filthy rich" ending really didn't feel good to me, and I was very very disappointed when you announced that. I'm looking forward to this!
Question though: We go rescue civilians, but then what? Will we build them a city on the planet? That would be super awesome :)

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

Molay wrote:Question though: We go rescue civilians, but then what?
Then we mine them for resources and build cyborgs and zombies and muahaha :twisted: :twisted: :o

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

torham wrote:
deef0000dragon1 wrote:As a suggestion, I recommend that you add a large number of High tech level power systems for the ship as a steam powered space ship, while cool, is not exactally feasible in space, where coal/oil doesn't as far as we are aware, exist.
Solar power plants would have higher output in space, as there is no atmosphere. Also they would produce power continuously, as there is no day/night cycle.
I am not scientist, but if the platform orbits the planet, there would be a "night" cycle of sorts, when the platform orbits around to the opposite side of the planet from where the sun is. I could just be stupid though and have no clue what I am talking about. xD
A new power source would be pretty awesome though!

Man that station platform prototype looks epic. So pumped for the endgame stuffs. :D Especially looking forward to the part where you have to ship resources up in large quantities. :D
Image Image Image

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

Xterminator wrote:
torham wrote:
I am not scientist, but if the platform orbits the planet, there would be a "night" cycle of sorts, when the platform orbits around to the opposite side of the planet from where the sun is. I could just be stupid though and have no clue what I am talking about. xD
A new power source would be pretty awesome though!

Man that station platform prototype looks epic. So pumped for the endgame stuffs. :D Especially looking forward to the part where you have to ship resources up in large quantities. :D
If you established the platform in near equatorial orbit, yes. As soon as you would leave orbit (relatively, taking into account the distances involved) the planet's shadow would stop being an issue. Also, If you launched your platform into a polar orbit, you would never have to pass the planets shadow. The solar panels would however loose their efficiency the further you would travel from the central star. If the colony ship is parked at the edge of the solar system, the solar power plants would stop working at the far end of the journey. But you can rejoice, since on the white board there is clearly mentions of hydrogen resource gathering and hydrogen reactors. ;)

onebit
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by onebit »

dee- wrote:
Friday Fact wrote:logistic trash area in player's inventory - get rid of things you don't need by sending them to the logistic system
And end up with random, forgotten chests chests throughout the base. Bots can deliver things, why not let them pick it up? This idea appeals to me.
Last edited by onebit on Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blackraz0r
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blackraz0r »

Keep up! :D

PLEASE add PreSignals in Factorio! :D this would make Train-Stuff sooo much easier! :D
You talked about it in some FidayFacts, when will you implement something like that?

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

torham wrote:Solar power plants would have higher output in space, as there is no atmosphere. Also they would produce power continuously, as there is no day/night cycle.
That depends on where they travel. If they plan to go anywhere further from the local star than the Factorio planet is, solar panels are as good as useless. Double the distance -> 1/4'th the power.

What is more of an issue in space is getting rid of the extra heat. As there is literally nothing to give the energy to it has to be radiated away and that's not all that easy when you intend to melt steel :)

BrinCaspian
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BrinCaspian »

As you aren't going to sit in orbit during the Mission, the day/night solar discussion is irrelevant. More importantly, while the solar panels would be much more efficient in orbit, due to refraction of the atmosphere, as you get further from the star, heading out on the mission, you would get diminishing returns. Every good long range spaceship is going to need a nuclear power source. Either as a reactor, or thermal power generation from the decay of a nuclear material.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

onebit wrote:
dee- wrote:
And end up with random, forgotten chests chests throughout the base. Bots can deliver things, why not let them pick it up? This idea appeals to me.
You won't end up with forgotten chests if you pick them up for reuse afterwards.

Even easier: don't rely on the logistics network (small orange area) but on the construction "network" (larger green area): place a chest, stuff it, then order deconstruction. The bots will come along and take the contents and the chest itself with them.

Return to “News”